Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another great use for waxed paper >

Another great use for waxed paper

Another great use for waxed paper

Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Another great use for waxed paper

I was just looking again at the wonderful Elephant quilt made by irishphoenix, and read her comment about the difficulty she had moving it around for the close quilting due to having used Minky on the back.
I just wanted to let you know that I have learned a couple things from using fleece and other soft backings. One is that it's much easier to have your quilting further apart rather than closer. The other is that if you have areas that you want to do more complex quilting, place a sheet of waxed paper under the backing This allows you to move the quilt around much more easily. You do, however, have to remove the paper after you have finished.
I find removing the paper much easier than unstitching a bunch of puckers and pleats, .
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks for tip!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM

A Teflon cookie sheet liner taped to the bed of the machine makes everything slide easier. Make a hole for the needle to go through.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 AM

wheres the elephant quilt--oh thanks for the tip
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

i have to say- that's a first i've read---a recommendation for (wax paper?) are you sure you aren't using freezer paper?
generally people avoid Wax paper in the sewing room since it gums up needles, leaves (waxy) residue on every thing- including (oily wax) stains on some fabrics- is difficult to get off surfaces (like machine beds)
i had not heard of anyone actually using it as a (slider sheet) i've used lots of minkie & fleece for backings---they seem so slippery all ready i'm generally trying to find ways to stablize them- not make them more slippery-
this is an interesting tip-
i don't know if i will take wax paper into the sewing room- years ago i took the finish right off a machine- trying to get the wax off- after mistakenly using it instead of freezer paper& i ruined a large piece of fabric that had oily wax stains on it- that even with dawn dish soap still left stains...i will follow this post to see what others experience i guess. seems like wax paper hasn't changed over the years though- still the same stuff i pressed leaves between sheets of 50 years ago- i use it alot in the kitchen.
anyway- interesting (tip) has me wondering...
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Great tip!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM

I use wax paper all the time when making tshirt quilts to help the vinyl/painted parts slide when quilting around the designs and have never had a problem with wax getting on my needle or anywhere else.
I don't use heat near it, so it hasn't ever gotten on a fabric or anything.
I can't see thru the freezer paper well enough to do the quilting around the design, but the wax paper works great!!!!
Maybe it's because I buy the less costly store brands that I don't get a wax build up on my needle or machine, but I watch carefully for this, since others have mentioned having had a problem with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Good tips are always appreciated!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 AM

I use waxed paper as a foundation for many of my scrap quilts, have had no trouble with residue or sticky mess or any sign of it on machine or fabric. Have used this for several yrs. now.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 AM

I use parchment paper for appliqueing.Works like a pressing sheet and a lot cheaper!