has anyone read

Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM

I am always looking for new authors =
-----------------------------------------
Donna Andrews

If you like funny murder mysteries, i'd strongly advise you to
try Donna Andrews' books. Every one of hers has a bird's name in it.
The absolute best, one that I re-read often, is called "We'll Always
Have Parrots."

And she has another series about one of the strangest main characters
ever, a computer generated person who, with a middle aged secretary,
takes over the company when crooks try to ruin it!!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I liked them - but there really wasn't that much directly related to quilting in the ones I read.

I would put them in the same category as "The Cat Who ... " type of mysteries.

Kind of fluffy reading.

Definitely not Patricia Cornwell type of mystery.
Oh wow, another Patricia Cornwell reader!!! Love her stuff!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I got hooked on J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas series. Has not a thing to do with quilting. lol. Checked out all the books and books on tape. I have read Emilie Richards books too. And one about an herb shop owner that solves mysteries. I read like 3 books a week or more if they are the fluff kind. And that's just reading before I go to bed. When I was recovering from surgery there were days I was reading 2 books a day . You can only watch so much TV.
Love the Eve Dallas series!! Hope she has a new one soon.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM

Tru do you have a way to get the books.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by texas granny
I will have to buy them. I am disabled and unable to leave my house and DD just had her 4th surgery her 5th will be the end of July. It was hard enough to find someone to do our grocery shopping I would never impose on asking them to go to the library for me.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Hmm..interesting, quilters and gardeners all seem to love crime fiction....and people think it's a "gentle art"!

I found out about the Elm Quilt novels a while ago, and they are rather a "sweet" read...but like Mad and many others I really do like the more gritty stuff. I will try and check out the others mentioned, because sometimes you have days where a light read is all you can manage.

I love books and worked for years in the book trade, but I only buy/collect non-fiction. I get my fiction reads via the local library, I wouldn't be able to buy fabric otherwise!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I will have to buy them. I am disabled and unable to leave my house and DD just had her 4th surgery her 5th will be the end of July. It was hard enough to find someone to do our grocery shopping I would never impose on asking them to go to the library for me.
Tru, I read how difficult it was for you to find someone to get dairy and fresh produce for you, what a nightmare! I can certainly understand your reluctance to ask anyone to go to the library for you. However, someone I used to work with previously worked at our local library and she told me she used to deliver and pick up books for a lady who lived near her who was a shut-in. Now, maybe the only reason she did this is because the lady was a neighbor, but perhaps someone who works at a library lives near you and would be willing to do the same thing. Or perhaps there are library volunteers who deliver books to shut-ins. It might be worth a couple phone calls to libraries near you to at least find out if such a service is available. Most libraries are now on-line and you can reserve books that way, which is nice. I really wish I lived closer to you; I'd go to the library for you. Our library is my second home.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM

I am not sure what state you live in but if they have a state library as ND does they will send books to your home and you return them postage paid when you are finished. The ND library even has book tapes for those that have trouble with their sight, they furnish the CD/tape player. Might want to check into this.

Originally Posted by trupeach1