Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has This Ever Happened at Your Home?

Suz

Has This Ever Happened at Your Home?

The question is about disappearing sock mates. It only happens when the dark wash is done. Too often when it is time to mate socks, one is missing and for some reason the mate never shows up. I have about single 8 socks - no mates. Some mates have been missing for months.

Occasionally, I will find a dryer sheet or a sock in my sweat pants or in a sleeve but not often enough to account for all the missing. Recently, I purchased new socks and after one wearing one mate disappeared. Where or where did the mates go?

Happen at your home? What was your solution? Where were they hiding? Thanks for the help.

I have over a dozen socks in the last 20 years that have had it's mate go missing and NONE of them turned up when I moved over a year and a half ago. Still wonder where they went.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I wear the slipper socks. When I'm done and throw into the hamper, I stuff one into the other, not all the way, just enough to stay put. Dh does the same. The elastic holds it in place. Don't have to stuff all the way just top couple inches. Usually they get caught on inside of dryer and if it's in top side of dryer you won't see it. They can also get caught in bottom rim of the washer under the agitator. I don't wear socks I have to match and neither does DH. I wear white and he wears grey. If I lose a sock, there is probably another one in the bunch who lost their mate and they all match up just fine. Pins come apart and no fun if you reach in and get stuck. You can also use the lingerie bags for those nylon or dress socks if you like to have a variety in your drawer.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you have pets, check their beds, then get a new pair.

Mine have been hiding along the side of the washer where I can't reach them because my washer/dryer are in a closet.
    Lori

I'm convinced that the washing machines must eat them. There is no other explanation. Lol

they may be in the discharge hose from your washing machine. Small items can go over and out the top of the drum. I once pulled an entire mens' long sleeve shirt out of a hose.

You should put small items in first when washing, larger ones on top (as told to me by an appliance repairman).

Suz
    Presently, I am using a very large safety pin to fasten a pair together. So far so good. If I lose one, I'll lose a pair. I think if they were in the discharge hose, I would have a flooding problem. Right? What is interesting, I don't have this problem with the white wash.

Do you think it is the "lady" who comes into my closet and takes inches out of the waist of my clothing? I haven't seen her, but know she is lurking around. Perhaps she is at your house right now and will come back to me soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    I'm convinced that the washing machines must eat them. There is no other explanation. Lol
    Ha! Ha! How right you are!! When I had a top load washer something broke and they ended up removing the tub from the machine; low and behold there were at least a half dozen socks that had gone over the top of the tub into the opening you see at the top. They were still inside the machine but you would never find them without removing the tub.

Blog Entries
    Several years ago we started having this issue of socks coming
    up missing.

This was AFTER we got our new front load washer.... low and behold
    we found all our missing socks. They got behind the rubber seal at
    the front of the washer. It is not just the socks, but anything fairly small.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

This makes me think of that dog on TV that had eaten a LOT of socks, can't remember how many, but the dog got really sick I think, don't know if you have pets.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I can top the missing sock surprise. I had an underwire work itself out of my bra and take a trip down the drain into the pump motor. So, when the water wouldn't drain correctly and the husband took the machine apart I had to claim the errant hardware. He wanted to know how I didn't notice it was missing. Wasn't one side a little floppy?

Blog Entries
    get yourself a lingerie bag and put them into that to wash. That way they will "stay together".

They're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of sox!!!!...hahahahahaha
    I quilt, therefore I am.

When my kids were small, I had plastic rings that corralled each pair of socks. They were great and I didn't have to match socks that were exactly the same except in size. I don't know if anything like that is still around, but they were very helpful.

I wear little "footie" socks, and am ALWAYS losing them in the laundry. I finally made a lingerie bag. I tried buying some lingerie bags, but they always fell apart after a few loads, so I made my own. In a pinch, I've even used a pillowcase, tied loosely at the open end.

I have a friend who swears she has NEVER lost a sock while washing or drying. I don't believe her.

I have found them clinging to my husband's polyester shirts. They love polyester.

I'm glad I don't wear socks! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Presently, I am using a very large safety pin to fasten a pair together. So far so good. If I lose one, I'll lose a pair. I think if they were in the discharge hose, I would have a flooding problem. Right? What is interesting, I don't have this problem with the white wash.

Do you think it is the "lady" who comes into my closet and takes inches out of the waist of my clothing? I haven't seen her, but know she is lurking around. Perhaps she is at your house right now and will come back to me soon.
    Is this the same lady who comes into my sewing room and moves things. Sometimes she moves them out of the room.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Maybe get a mesh washing bag with a zipper.

Blog Entries
    mesh bags with zipper is what I use......but be sure bag is inside/out because zipper pull can get caught in the washer or dryer drum holes and then pull out and leave a rough snaggy spot in the drum.

I'd like to know a place where this doesn't happen! I did try to solve it by buying a set of flat, plastic,feet with two press holes in them. The idea was to put each sock into the holes and it would keep the pairs together in the washing machine. I managed it a couple of times but now the feet sit happily in a drawer whilst I lose the odd sock...

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think it's some kind of a sacrifice for the "sock god"

Maybe there is singles bar somewhere for unmatched socks to meet up....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast