Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have a garage sale or donate "stuff"? >

Have a garage sale or donate "stuff"?

Have a garage sale or donate "stuff"?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Had a garage sale several years ago and did pretty well. I had Goodwill come that afternoon to take all that was left....I will never forget a young woman and her mom came to the sale pretty late. Stuff had been picked over and pickings were slim. The young woman picked up a few items when Goodwill showed up. Her mom informed me that this daughter was going thru a divorce and her hubby had taken everything in the house that wasn't nailed down. So I immediately told the young woman she could just have whatever she wanted/needed but she had to be quick because the Goodwill truck driver was loading. She quickly picked out several more things and then started to cry -- that a total stranger could be that nice to her. What she didn't realize was that I had "been there and done that" and was paying it forward.... :D
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 AM

I itemize my deductions. TurboTax has a place where you can put in the item and whether they're in "fair" or "good" condition and it'll tell you what they say is the value. I can't remember this year's #s but an example was a pair of jeans (men's) that I donated a few years ago -- I got $13.00 or so for them by deducting and would've gotten $.50 at the garage sale. In total, this year's taxes I had $800.00 in deductions and it made a difference of $200. on the final taxes. In another words I got $200.00 back on taxes where I would've MAYBE gotten $50.00 at the garage sale. I haven't had a garage sale since.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM

I had a yard sale before we moved last August - was not worth our time!!! Remains went to Goodwill. We had already given tons of stuff to Goodwill - mostly clothes, but all were in good condition. Where we live now, we can not have yards sales or signs, so anything will go to Goodwill or Salvation Army the next time we purge.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Forgot to mention in my response that everything left after my sale does go to Goodwill...
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM

I would donate to local thrift store instead of spending my entire day doing a garage sale.

If you decide to do a garage sale you might want to make sure everything is priced, bundle several items together and price accordingly (to get a better price), put bags out and say "fill a bag for a buck"- for clothes or toys.

I don't like to mess with things for under $1 that is why I bundle them together. I also MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS PRICED!

Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I pass on to whoever (or is it whomever?) might be interested, and the rest goes to a charity. We have Goodwill right down the street. If it's big stuff, I keep a picture/record and use it come tax time - little stuff, I just give away. Not so much a fan of yard sales which could be due to my background (Germany not know for holding yard sales). We live off the beaten path and even if I were to hold a sale, I wouldn't want to draw a bunch of strangers to my house.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 AM

I just took 5 bags of clothes and a box full to the Salvation Army today. Garage sales are okay I guess, I just wanted to get rid of it.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Unless you enjoy yard sales it might be a waste of time. Otherwise I say have the yard sale then take what ever is left and donate it. I really enjoy having yard sales and going to them, it is a lot of work but some times it is worth it. Do you live where ppl have yard sales a lot if so then I say go for it, just make sure to advertise it or use plenty of signage.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM

I prefer just to donate it. Don't want all the work involved in a garage sale.
I have had some in the past, and that's where they will stay!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I prefer just to donate it. Don't want all the work involved in a garage sale.
I have had some in the past, and that's where they will stay!!

I'm pretty much the same. And no matter what time you post that it starts, people still are in your yard at 5 a.m. or knocking on your door. I'd just as soon donate it and let the charity causes do with it whatever is best.