Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have a garage sale or donate "stuff"? >

Have a garage sale or donate "stuff"?

Have a garage sale or donate "stuff"?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 PM

When I want to declutter, I want the stuff GONE immediately. Otherwise it just feels like I'm rearranging the same clutter in a different room. I donate and get it out of the house. I'm not interested in trying to have a yard sale and watch people pick through my old stuff and haggle over nickels and dimes. I know the charities like Goodwill and Salvation Army appreciate the donation, and it helps a bit on the taxes, and I get the satisfaction of having the clear space right away, so I stay motivated to keep decluttering.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM

The last garage sale I had was 4 years ago. It poured all day. I had been storing things in my garage and organizing for weeks. After the sale, I called a neighbor and asked her if she wanted anything to come down and just take it.

She and her daughter came down and told me about a friend who works for Social Services and rents and apartment for her clients and friends to "shop" for free. She came over and took everything away in 2 vans. All the items were in very good to excellent condition.

It was wonderful to know that people who really needed the items were able to get them and they weren't just thrown out. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Everything was back to normal in my garage within an hour! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I had one garage sale and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Besides, now we live on a side street off a side street. Most people can't find my house. I give my stuff to the local shelters' thrift shop. They give the stuff to people starting over.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:21 AM

There's an organization in our area that does pick up and I'm on their call list. I put together a bag of household items, clothing, or anything else I can find each time they call. It works out to be 4-5 times a year. I prefer this rather than a garage sale.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:51 AM

HUH????? I am a hoarder - can't bear to part with too much of anything.............geesch, I DO have a problem...........
Old 05-09-2010, 05:17 AM

When I declutter, I want it out of sight. We have a sun room that is the catch-all. We then take to Goodwill and donate.

Outside/garage stuff we usually put at the top of our country road and within one hour or less, everything will be gone. Right now tho, we have some nice ticket items and I may have a saleover the next three Fridays.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Garage sales are a lot of work, sometimes, it is easier to donate, and take the tax credit.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
For those of you that have garage sales,

where do you store the "stuff" until you have your sale?

Is it easier to just haul it off to Good Will or Salvation army or to have a sale?

I don't have tons of stuff to put in a sale, but enough stuff around to be cluttered.

And our house is not "easy access" to a main road.
Funny you should ask as I'm having a garage sale next weekend.
Most of my garage sale things are in the garage to the side, then there are the things that haven't made it upstairs yet and those are in the other half (that I haven't taken over yet) of the family room, some have landed and are sitting on my buffet, and one more bag of stuff that has to be tagged yet in my bedroom. So I guess you could say pretty much all over the house.
Is it the 15th yet??
Old 05-09-2010, 09:00 AM

I, myself, love garage sales. I had several & made out well with the money I got from it, $500.00 to $1,000.00. I always had a "free" box of odd & ends & when it would get down to about half, I would add more to it. (Haven't had 1 in about 10 years due to all the surgeries I have had...11 total). I always let people make deals with me. I remember the very first porch sale I had years ago, a man came up & bought the whole table of clothes table included for $150.00. Sale over in less than an hour; I didn't even advertise.
BUT this year, I am going to have a huge 1. Daughter's twins clothes from newborn up to size 4 are going & all my 'plus' size clothes that got too big for me are going. Both of these types clothing go really well. I don't do much of the knick knack things. All mine will be in totes labeled for a price.
I will probably keep alot of the receiving blankets as I can use those for backings for 'quilts' for babies. Whatever is left, I will donate to a woman's shelter. They always can use clothes.
Don't know when I will have mine, but will let you all know how it went.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Try craigslist?