Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have a Good Cry?

Have a Good Cry?

I read recently that having a good cry can be as therapeutic as having a good laugh.

I know having a laugh can lift my spirits but giving way to tears is something I try not to do.

What do other members think?

We're all wired differently. I'm a crier for sure. I do think it's therapeutic too but some people just don't. I was always the big crier in my family! I know that in my country tears are usually frowned upon. I don't agree with that but that's the way a lot of us were raised.

The laughing way is the most fun for me. But, sometimes a cry is what's needed along with a session of serious prayer. I pray for His peace that passes understanding and when it arrives, it is a true blessing.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, I prefer laughing but sometimes a good cry gets things out very well. Until the next time.

Power Poster
    “ Laughter doeth good like medicine” I prefer to laugh but sometimes tears cannot be avoided. What I don’t like is when sorrow gets caught in my chest and I can’t cry.

Power Poster
    I am a cry baby.

Have been since elementary school. That did not work out well.

I am now 77 and still get periods of weepiness that last for a week or two. The upside is that the periods are more infrequent now. I also seldom get headaches and do not have ulcers. I rarely wear makeup, so that is not usually an issue, either.

Sometimes I wonder if being a "yeller/screamer/shouter" would be more effective with dealing with the rest of the family members. Logic/reasoning/calmness does not seem very effective when "they" are "on a roll".

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I am a cry baby.

Have been since elementary school. That did not work out well.

I am now 77 and still get periods of weepiness that last for a week or two. The upside is that the periods are more infrequent now. I also seldom get headaches and do not have ulcers. I rarely wear makeup, so that is not usually an issue, either.

Sometimes I wonder if being a "yeller/screamer/shouter" would be more effective with dealing with the rest of the family members. Logic/reasoning/calmness does not seem very effective when "they" are "on a roll".

Yes, I’ve heard that it’s better to be a ‘yeller/screamer/shouter’ as it gets rid of those pent up emotions.

I tend to bottle things up and keep my opinions to myself. Perhaps I should give vent in future and see if I feel any better!

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    Yes, I’ve heard that it’s better to be a ‘yeller/screamer/shouter’ as it gets rid of those pent up emotions.

I tend to bottle things up and keep my opinions to myself. Perhaps I should give vent in future and see if I feel any better!
    I'm a sympathy crier. I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be. Maybe it's because as I've gotten older, I'm more apt to get things out. Not always in the most beneficial way to others I used to never say anything and just bottle it up. Now I'm more likely to speak up and let my feelings be known. I feel better about myself for not letting others walk all over me. Not sure how others feel about it
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Crying can help release chemicals to make you feel better. I have depression issues and cry way too much, but I count it as helping even though I really wish I wouldn't go to tears so easily.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/cry-it-...w-tears-333952
    https://science.howstuffworks.com/li...ns/crying1.htm

I'm a crier. I can't read "The Giving Tree", "Love You Forever" or "Charlotte's Web" without crying.

​They say laughter is the best medicine, but some situations need crying. Whatever works best for the situation is what I do.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

i'm a crier. always have been ..sad movies, i still become unconsolable if watching the images of columbine, docudramas re: conflicts and the suffering/pain of our men & women in afghanistan etc. when i'm tired the nightly news can have me in tears. years ago my son said i was the "Queen of Waterworks" ...now he gently informs me that i'm too sensitive. i tell him "yes" ..always have been, even as a child.
    yup ..i cry
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I always try not to cry. My mom was a weeping willow and never showed any self control over it, and I do not want to be like that. But if something is upsetting me to the point that I am finding myself constantly fighting tears, then, yes, a good cry straight from the heart, in private, does help me. I let myself cry all the emotions out. After I always feel like I can move forward again.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Tears release stress hormones. Usually in the first few minutes of crying most of the stress hormones that will be released are released.

I was widowed a year ago. I found that I cry so much easier when I read or watch sad things. It has helped me a lot. It is getting better though and I go to a support group. That helps a lot, too. A friend of mine lost his wife just a few months ago. I talk to him a short time and I see the tears start. I hope he is able to cry it out in private as he is trying to hold it all in while with others.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    When I'm upset with someone I have a tendency to cry, which in most case used to make me angry because I couldn't control it when I wanted to so I'd cry more. Now, I just let them go. People that know me, knows that's me. I don't apologize any more for something that I can't control, its just me. But just like laughter is good for you, sometimes a good cry is as well. I get it out of my system and then move on. I also rely on some songs to help me. Like Carrie Underwoods, Jesus take the wheel. Sometimes you just got to do what you have to do to get it out of your system.

There was a study done that people who have a pencil in their mouth long ways, will start to feel good. Because as you grip that pencil, its causes your smile muscles to work and sends a message to your brain that you feel good. I don't know if that's true but some days, I'll try anything.
    Judy

I was raised in a where and when that taught that crying was weak and baby like. You had to be strong and brave and tears solved nothing. When I was in first grade I was knocked over by a group of boys chasing through the recess yard. My nose was broken and my front teeth were knocked out. I was beaten by the nuns for crying. I will cry during a sad movie or when death takes someone close to me...but it is always behind closed doors.

Barb2018, that is terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you and the nuns abused you. Always heard that about nuns in America, but yet my mother was raised in a convent school in Shanghai while her mother traveled, and she always said the nuns were kind, loving and nurturing to her and all the children. She loved them. Good to know they are not all psycho like the ones you encountered.

I do cry a lot... esp. movies where there is sadness or if any animals are treated badly. But I can't say I ever feel better afterwards. It takes a toll out of you. Never understood the term "good cry".
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do cry once in a while when I am watching a sad movie or see a commercial about family. I get very sentimental and miss my kids who live out of state. It does make me feel better tho'

There have been times especially when I was younger and in grade school that something would get me to laughing and I'd end up laughing SO hard I'd end up in tears from laughing (NOT good when in class).
    Another thing that I've found therapeutic is screaming just as loud as you can for as long as you can. If you have other family members, it works GREAT IN YOUR CAR - alone. I've only done this once and then it was just to 'try it'. I'm not a screamer or a fighter, but wanted to see how I'd feel. It was very releasing. And at the time I wasn't really stressed about anything - well not that I remember anyway. You'd not want to do this while driving or with the family around - they might call the men in the little white coats! Just something I wanted to try. lol

Blog Entries
    There are happy cries, too. Usually caused by what my Grandson writes in cards to me even though he's 18 and lives next door!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Tears sometimes come when someone has been kind to me, too.

Stories about pets and animals that have sad endings tend to activate my tears, too.

Guess I have hyperactive lacrimal glands.

I think that crying is a healthy sign. Emotions that are/have been repressed are not a healthy sign of emotional intelligence. I often feel sad about various things; sometimes when people cry over something that I don't find emotional, I think I must be very odd/strange or cold.
    Music can often move me, and I will often cry listening to a beautiful piece of music, whether of modern or a classical style. Similarly, I find some books very emotional, and clearly remember sobbing my heart out when reading 'The Bridges of Madison County', but not on watching the film however! There have been other books that have had a similar effect, poetry too of course.
    When my mother died in 1999, it was several weeks before I cried, I had to stop the car on the journey back from work and cry, and I would feel better afterwards.
    I feel that the crying of grief is very different to the emotional connection with the written word, or with music, that results in tears.

I cry and sometimes it helps. If I am mad and start crying then all who know me know they need to leave me alone.

I use to cry very easy, not much any more. I can feel sad about a lot of things just not moved to tears.

Crying never made me feel better. It clogged my sinuses up and made my eyes swell and red.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast