Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have a question for you guys and  gals >

Have a question for you guys and gals

Have a question for you guys and gals

Old 08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

We just redid our kitchen with granite. There are so many to choose from. We looked at quartz but it didn't have the kind of look for the surface we wanted. I also read that you can't put hot pots on quartz because it damages the resins that hold it together. We also got an undermount sink which I love. We replaced formica which I loved in the beginning, but then it got very tired looking (about 20 years later). I read that with corian you have to be careful of staining, but some of them can be sanded out. Also, can't use certain products around it,like nail polish remover or hair color (two things I use). So, I guess it's a matter of preference and shopping for features. Good luck!! We added a hot water dispenser and a button to work the disposal. cheap fix at Home Depot.

sink
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238733[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238727.jpe  
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM

Just got mine replaced last October, after 31 years.

I chose a laminate. Blue denim which goes with my color theme....its o.k....didn't want to do anything expensive.

Got a deeper sink and faucet. Great but I wish the faucet was higher.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 AM

I have black granite with silver and gold chips in it. I like it because you can sit hot pots on it and you can even cut on it. I have a spray cleaner made for granite and it does a good job. I have an extra deep stainless steel sink with a rack in the bottom so it doesn;t get scratched. I had the faucet set off to the side like Stitchnripper. I like that because it doesn't get in the way when you wash large pots. If you get formica get a smooth finish. The last one I had was an uneven finish and all the dirt got stuck in the grooves.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 AM

Marble is really fantastic for baking when you are rolling out scones etc. We used to have marble in my grandma's farmhouse but I'm lucky if I have a table where I am now...We've actually got stainless steel as our meals are prepared in a commercial kitchen and we collect them every day.Perhaps you could give stainless steel a go?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
I have granite now but if I were to re-do it, I would go with Corian (or some other solid surface acrylic). It was beautiful, cleaned up so nice, you could gently buff out scratches with a scrubby part of a sponge, the sink just needed a little bleach once in a while to get back to original color. My granite chips easily around the sink and I have a few other gripes about it.
We replaced our formica with corian a few years ago. Bad mistake, I hate it. Cannot get the stains out of the sink, there are scratches in the counter top that will not buff out, more like hairline cracks. Can't get anything done about it and cannot afford to replace it with something else.
Can't cut on it or set hot pots on it.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 AM

I miss my DEEP stainless steel sink!!! We moved and the one we have now is shallow. Wish we had something other than the Formica counter tops, but the house is not old and they are not worn out - yet. Good luck!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 AM

We have formica countertops and a sink that I will not recommend to anyone... I'd rather have a stainless steel sink, extra deep, with high faucet. (The faucet I have.) The formica is very servicable, and has witihstood family use. Big concern here, as I wanted my kids in the kitchen, learning to cook. You need to determine your priorities and check on the pros and cons of materials. Sorry I have no fantastic suggestions.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 AM

I have and love granite but would like to consider soapstone if I were going to redo. Also, dearly love tile which I had many years ago. I didn't find it hard to keep clean and the house was 25 years old when we bought it..I just laid towels on the counters and soaked them with bleach..next morning I scrubbed with a brush and it looked like new! I will admit I am a scrubber...love to watch the "rebirth" of something that was beautiful.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 AM

Did kitchen over just four years ago. Went with corian.It had the only variety of colors I would choose from. Would not get the matching sink to go with it though. Get a large single stainless steel sink. Can always polish it. As for counter material, do you know that if scrached or chipped you can have people come out and refinish it and buff it again it in a few years or ten years.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 AM

When we were redoing our kitchen, i did a lot of research on countertops. I looked at granitem composite (Silestone) and corian. I had a Corian cutting board that didn't look so good after a bit or wear, so I eliminated that. granite, while beautiful, needs conditioning, and I know myself well enough to know that might be a problem, so it was out. I had a Silestone sample that I did ever awful thing to that I could think of. I put it over and open flame, sanded it, tried to cut it with knives. NOTHING did anything to it. So we chose that and I LOVE it. It has a antibacterial built in, and it just as shiny as granite. The sink is stainless, in the same footprint as the old double one, but twice as deep. I can wash a big soup kettle and cookie sheets submerged. I could also bath a baby if I ever get any grandchildren! Have fun choosing!

Silestone counters and double deep stainless sink.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238922[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238916.jpe