Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have a question for you guys and  gals >

Have a question for you guys and gals

Have a question for you guys and gals

Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 AM

I have granite counter tops and a stainless steel double sink... I have been very satisfied with the products but not with the way the sink was installed... make certain you get a good company who will stand behind their work.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 AM

I loved the Corian sink I had in home in Orlando. Need to change tops here and plan to go with Quartz.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM

I like Corian and have a Corian sink as well. You can use scouring powder on the sink and have had no trouble with stains. Another asset, is that the you can cove the backsplashes of your counters which also makes it easier to clean.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay
I have quartz. Called Ceasarstone, Silestone, Verona or something else depending where you get it. I LOVE it! Very durable, maintenance free & looks great. After years of tile & grout (in both houses we've lived in here) it is so easy to wipe up. I went with a coordinating cast iron/porcelain sink & am very happy with that too. I had a stainless sink in another house & hated it!
I have Silestone, too.(quartz) Have had it for 10yrs now. love it. I do put hot pots on it. clean up with soap and water. I got the stainless steel sink. wanted enamle and was talked out of it. My dad has the Silestone, too but with the enamel sink and his sink is all scratched up and dengy looking. Porcelain would be better.

PS: I got a deep sink to wash pots with. love it.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
silestone counters and double-deep stainless sink
This sounds like the best combination I've seen! Your counters look very much like ours (in Corian) and are heat-resistant to boot! Under-hung sink (a given in my mind) and deep stainless, too.

I'm just going to have to put this into my "our next house" file!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM

I know some of the design shows I watch have been promoting quartz because it holds up as well as granite at a lower price. I think the quartz and granite don't need to be sealed either.

We actually have a cast iron porcelain sink in our new kitchen that our plumber said we should keep no matter what (inherited the house). We had a stainless sink in our old place, but it was ok and looking old. We replaced that when we redid the kitchen for resale. We put in granite because that's what sells in that area.

In our old place and this one, we have the faux marble in the bathrooms and it was disintegrating in the old place (we replaced it before we sold it).
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM

I got mine at Lowe's and they did a super job and were very reasonable in price. I got just the standard formica with matte finish in Almond Leather pattern which is very neutral and I love it. Would not trade my stainless steel sink for any other. So much easier to maintain!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 AM

I did a lot of research when we were redoing our counter tops.....iI went to lowes, home depot and finally found the one what I was looking for ...... Dupont ZODIAC in vista pearl....... which is a neutral light color.....we got it at Blairstown Lumber......they were very helpful...and oh yes at a better price for the same product. I've had it since 2004. Stands up and easy to clean..... For the sink I picked a deep sink in stainless ......Good luck and let us know how you make out
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Granite, marble, and quartz all need to be sealed. Marble will stain badly and is almost impossible to get the stain out. If you want to check out the differences, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a tile of each type of countertop you're interested in. Then do your worst to each one. Spill coffee, drop a cup, etc., see how they react.

I have a marble tile that I set something down on it that leaked and the ring has never come out - can't even sand it off. Thank goodness it was only a 12 x 12 tile and not a 15' countertop.

As for sinks, I have a cast iron sink that's 30 years old. It needs to be replaced, but it still cleans up well and the stains bleach out every time.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Love the old cast iron sinks and concrete counter tops!!