Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you been to Mt Rushmore >

have you been to Mt Rushmore

have you been to Mt Rushmore

Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM

I live in Rapid City, 22 miles from Mt. Rushmore and I too love to go there. Our DD singing group sang in the ampitheater in the evening one year. (these were kids under 8th grade) and it was wonderful. So many people coming to the Hills now from all over the world. The first weekend in June is the Crazy Horse Volksmarch open to the public. We have gone twice and it was awesome. People all around speaking in foreigne languages. There are a lot of neat things to see out here. I am afraid that the Hollywood set has found us. But we don't bother them is they don't bother us...Be sure and drive through Spearfish Canyon if you come this way, and we do have some nice little quilt shops along the way. And we have even found garnets in some of the streams and of course a little gold. But don't tell anyone...the camping is great, but be sure to bring coats, we have had to wear coats on the 4th of July at night to watch fireworks....and there are not those pesky biting bugs in the hills. they all moved to MN.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

I went when I was in my teens...loved it then...and I think I would love it/appreciate it even more now...so hope to go back again someday! Not just Mt Rushmore, but the badlands...loved their beauty.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

I have been there 3 times and I was impressed with it each time. It's an amazing sight.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
I live in Rapid City, 22 miles from Mt. Rushmore and I too love to go there. Our DD singing group sang in the ampitheater in the evening one year. (these were kids under 8th grade) and it was wonderful. So many people coming to the Hills now from all over the world. The first weekend in June is the Crazy Horse Volksmarch open to the public. We have gone twice and it was awesome. People all around speaking in foreigne languages. There are a lot of neat things to see out here. I am afraid that the Hollywood set has found us. But we don't bother them is they don't bother us...Be sure and drive through Spearfish Canyon if you come this way, and we do have some nice little quilt shops along the way. And we have even found garnets in some of the streams and of course a little gold. But don't tell anyone...the camping is great, but be sure to bring coats, we have had to wear coats on the 4th of July at night to watch fireworks....and there are not those pesky biting bugs in the hills. they all moved to MN.
I dunno if they still do the fireworks @ Mt. Rushmore, but if they do...it's a must-see. They are the BEST show ever. EVER. Really well done.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 AM

I spent two summers in the early 70's at field camp in the Black Hills, Badlands, Devil's Tower and loved every minute of it. Snowed in June in the Hills. Would love to see how much it has changed but would not trade a single memory for the updated changes. Still have the garnets we found in the streams and gullies.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM

My kids and I went there about 15 years ago. We thought it was pretty awesome. Would love to go through that area again.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Yes, it is amazing and worth the time. Crazy Horse was unbelievable but am not sure if it is completely finished. It really takes your breathe away to imagine all the work that went into carving them. Many of the small towns around there are great to go through some of their shops.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Don't miss the Stavekirke--the Norwegian style church while you are in the Rushmore area..-quite an undertaking....
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
Don't miss the Stavekirke--the Norwegian style church while you are in the Rushmore area..-quite an undertaking....
We got married there! <3
Old 03-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Yes, it is worth a visit or two. Lots to do in the area.