Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you checked your bank account latley? >

have you checked your bank account latley?

have you checked your bank account latley?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM

I forgot to mention that last year my Wells Fargo debit card was hacked. It was a transaction at Michael's. Those stores had an issue for a while. I googled and found out about it and told Wells Fargo, and insisted they return my money immediately. They did.

At first they said the charge was being investigated. I told them since it is a known issue they should credit my account immediately.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM

I only use one credit card and had it replaced replaced recently. My bank gave me their direct phone number which I just used last week. Seems that someone has used my old, old, old (as in 8 years or so ago) credit card number to charge $85 worth of something. I had no idea of the charge until a statement came. The fraud department is checking it out...and it was charged in Texas which I haven't been in since 1985!! We have always cut up (before shredders) old statements and credit cards. How this old number was found, I have no clue. Discouraging to think other's want to steal my money.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM

I've had it happen where a small amount was charged, like $9.95. I forget the details now but credit card co told me that people charge the small amount because it won't raise any alert flags so they get away with it unless person checks their statement. Always check your credit card statement for any charge you don't recognize.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM

Well I got it too. A 14 year old kid that lived down the road crawled in my doggie door and got on my computer. He ordered books, joined book clubs and ordered a $900.00 set of cookware. I think he was trying to help me cause they were all to come to my home. hehehe When I got the emails confirming the orders I called them all. According to the police he and his family ( they were all just alike) were ordered to leave the county or go to jail. Don't know why they did it that way but they are gone to Lousianna now. Glad they are gone. NOw I have a master password that I have to enter in order to use the computer. There is one different on the lap top.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I know there is a lot of this going on....I had my account stopped last month by the bank because they said it had been hacked...They sent me a new card with my new account number...I was shocked...I hate to buy anything on line because of safety issues....My son-in-law lost over thwo thousand from his pay-pal so you see..nothing is safe...
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM

At the end of January I had two of my debit cards compromised. That was enough!! I hope it never happens to me again. Those cards are history now.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM

We, too, were charged hundreds of miles away from where we live. A new bank wrinkle to look out for: our bank took half of our measly interest earnings because we didn't have a debit card. They wanted us to get a debit card and use it at least 10 times a month in order to keep our "interest" earnings. Needless to say, we have joined a credit union.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the warning. I know my mom checks her bank account every day. One day she found 2 $1 charges she didn't recognize. Called the bank and froze her account or something like that. A hassle yes, but probably saved lots of $$ in the long run.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Bank of America is good about not informing one about retailers where a card was used inappropriately. After all your card was the one used. Confidentiality, my eye.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM

I've had 2 cards replaced in the last 2 months also.
Another thing to look out for is ID theft stolen from young children. Those of you that have little kids or grandkids should keep a close eye on their credit reports. We are forced to get them soc. sec. cards immediately now, & their IDs are easily stolen because no one ever checks their credit records. Babies don't use credit cards....right? Most are never checked until the child is old enough to begin using debit/credit cards, or apply for student loans etc. An ideal situation for thieves.