Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever had a problem with make-up? >

Have you ever had a problem with make-up?

Have you ever had a problem with make-up?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM

I had that happen to me once before.( Avon also) Eye make up can dry out & change its' composition more quickly than any other makeup. I was told that you should use a new one every 3 mos. I tried that, but my eye lids continued to get red & swollen. Allergies sometimes take time "to build"- it is not unusual for allergies (side effects) to develope /show up after 6 mos or a year or more of use!! Just like medicine, sometimes it is the 2nd,3rd, or more dose that we get a reaction. I had to stop using the product (which I loved) & change brands & all my symptoms went away. All our bodies are different & unique - pocess things differently - that's what make us "special".
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

It used to be I could use one brand in the winter but would have to change to a different brand in the summer for that same reason. Then I started using Mary Kay. Used that for many years. Hot flashes started and washed it all off. So I went with an almost naked face until that stopped. Now I use Bare Minerals. No problem at all. So glad all those happy days are gone. :oops: :D
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM

I have very sensitive skin and must watch what I use. Yes you can have a reaction even after using something for a long time. It is a tad pricey, but Clinique is very pure and I've never had a problem with their products. Aveeno is a great moisturizer for us with sensitive skin and the price is good too. Also as another member mentioned, Bare Minerals is very good for us folks with sensitive skin. Cetaphil is a very good cleanser for sensitive skin and it leaves your face clean and soft.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM

http://www.theplumvine.com/
Please check out this site. All mineral makeup and natural products. The woman who runs this company will work with you to find the right products for your condition. She is fantastic! Tell her Lisa sent you! :thumbup:
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM

I am a Mary Kay consultant, you might want to try our products,
Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Have you talked to your doctor? Have you contacted Avon? Have you changed your laundry detergent, new pillows etc? Maybe a different facial cleanser?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM

I've had problems all my adult life with things I put on my face. I was told years ago by a Dermatologist to use only Almay makeup. I have never broken out with Almay. I use it everyday because I can't use a moisturizer. I do remove it at night. I would suggest you see a dermatologist and see what he/she recommends.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM

I was told by a doctor, that you can develope an allergy over night. and I have seen it happen. I would see a dermatologist. It is also best not to put your fingers in your makeup, use a cotton pad or?.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
I'm 62, so I've been using make-up for a long, long time. Not heavy make-up just the minimum--moisturizer, mascara, blush, eye shadow (sometimes) and lipstick. I am currently using Avon and have been for the last year. During the last month I've had hives several times on my eyelids (the worst area) and along my jaw line. After the hives stop I have scaly skin on my eyelids. Also have frequent itching all over my face. I've decided it's probably the Avon products, but it started after a year of using them. Has anyone else had a delayed reaction like this? Are there other cosmetics you would recommend for sensitive skin?
The cosmetics company don't tell you, but some of them are having large quantities of the cosmetics made out of the country. When that happens the quality control might not be as effective as it should be either!
Try to find a line of cosmetics made by a small in-the-USA company. I don't know about the truth in labeling law on cosmetics.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 PM

If you are developing allergies, you might also want to try using as many products as you can that are totally fragrance free, lanolin free, formaldehyde free, etc. I am not affiliated with them, but I get shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen and other products by the brand name "Free & Clear." sold by Pharmaceutical Specialties Inc. I just order it online cause none of the local stores carry it. (PSICO.COM)

I use one set of eye shadow/mascara for about six months, then pitch it. Almay is good for me.

I also keep my pillowcase pristine clean - washed in fragrance free detergent and fabric softener, double rinsed, and changed every two or three days.

FREE Quilting Newsletter