Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever received a call saying your computer called them?

Have you ever received a call saying your computer called them?

Well this has happened to me twice in the past 6 months. Of course I'm not that stupid as I know full well my computer doesn't call anyone and since I haven't had it on line in over a month I'm more then sure it didn't.

So I decided to go look into this a bit further to see what scams are going on and it brought me to this website that explains how this type of scam works.

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-s...-and-trash-pc/

I have looked at several website that talk about this but this one has the best explanation I've seen and since the person recorded most of the scam you can hear it as well.

SO be informed, and don't let someone take you for a ride on this.

There are so many scams out there it is incredible. We just had a warning this morning on the news due to the fires there will be a lot of scams trying to collect for the fire victims. This is so very, very sad.

We donate to Yosemite all the time. We got a call telling us that we can donate directly via a credit card or out of our checking account. Really? I am going to give a stranger on the phone that called me my credit card or bank account info. Are we that trusting? I don't think so!!!

I got the very call they are talking about. I told him thank you for letting me know I have a problem I will take it to my repair shop today.Then I hung up on him and never got another call like that. He speaks so bad you can hardly understand what he is saying. I knew right away it was a scam.

I get calls saying my computer is in serious dire need of help. They claim my system has this deadly virus only they can cure.

I tell them........My computer is cleaner than most, I scan it daily for malware and twice a week it gets one of those really long virus scans. I set the virus scans to be done while I sleep and I do the malware scans before I go to bed.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

tell them, "my computer told me not to talk to you..."

PTQUILTS: Hahaha! Scammers/scummers will stoop pretty low.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I got the very call they are talking about. I told him thank you for letting me know I have a problem I will take it to my repair shop today.Then I hung up on him and never got another call like that. He speaks so bad you can hardly understand what he is saying. I knew right away it was a scam.

My husband also received this call with the accent and poor language usage. When he hung up and checked the web, he also found it is a SCAM!

Blog Entries
    well that's a new one!!! I've begun telling callers that whom ever they are calling no longer live here. then if they go on i tell them I'm just renting and no knowing about the owner or house.

Yes I did about 2 years ago and they were relentless, called about daily for several months, saying they were from Microsoft and my puter was sending them messages. My caller ID gave the numbers that they were using and they were cell numbers, I called one of them back out of pure frustration and the person was very upset and contacted the police (it was a Calif. number) Turns out they had hacked his phone. Last call I got was on Thanksgiving day while having dinner with the family and my oldest daughter took the phone and went off on him and didn't hear anything again till a few months ago, then I cut loose on him again and haven't had another call since then. Good luck!!!!

Blog Entries
    Not only have I gotten this call but I was at my mother's one day and she got that call. My mother doesn't even have a computer. I told him that she didn't even own a computer so how did her computer call them. He said well that is the information that was passed to him. I informed him that I knew this was a scam and not to call back. He told me to shut up. I then hung up.

Blog Entries
    We have caller ID. If we don't know the number/caller, we don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message. We've even taught my mom (who detests technology and thinks every phone call has to be answered) to check the number and caller before answering. Lots of scammers hit the trusting elders, and that's lower than low.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

My parents had been getting calls like this, too. They don't have a computer.
    I was at their home one day when the call came in....I answered it and pretended to be Mom. I kept the call going and annoyed them by making them repeat things because I couldn't hear them and saying wait I need to write this down....and making them spell things.
    Then I went off on them.....Mom and Dad never heard from them again. Besides, I thought Dad was going to bust a gut with the way I was messing with them.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I listened forever when they called me to tell me my computer needed to be "cleaned up". Finally, after I had held them on the line for awhile, and egged tem on, I said "I don't have a computer". He said "Why did you say you did?" I said just to waste your time. I haven't had any more calls about that at least.Every day it is a new scam and new ways they try to trick you. I was born at night, but not last night. LOL

Blog Entries
    I hang up and either block the number or save it under the name "scam" or "nope". Then if they call again, I just "reject"
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries

phone scams

when they called to say we had a computer virus, I said but but but I don't OWN a computer! They never called back
    Patski
    always learning

Yes this happened to me, but I did not buy it.

I get this call quite often. Yesterday they called twice. First a man, then a woman. Always poor English and hardly understandable. Sometimes I ask them to identify which of my computers has the problem and of course they can't. And sometimes I tell them I don't have a computer! Then they hang up. Once though I told them that and they told me I was stupid. Really? Now they made the call to my house, so they should be able to give me some information and not harass me and call me names!

I have a rule that if I didn't call them, I'm probably not interested in what they want. I have three or four charities that I favor and never make donations unless it's through my church and I know the person calling me. Stay alert and don't give out any information.

I often get calls from people saying they are from Apple saying that my computer is having major issues. They want my credit card number, my date of birth and my social security number. Do I have "STUPID" tattooed on my forehead?

I haven't received one of these calls for ages. The last time I did, I ask them to hang on a minuet & just put the phone down & walked off. Then when I heard the peeping on the phone I hung it up knowing they had already hung up. Never have gotten one since.

Power Poster
    i say back to them i dont have a computer they hang up fast!! its a scam!
    QUILTNMO

I have received that call, I told him that " I am old and don't even own a computer" He quickly hung up.
    Dyan

I have two son in laws that are IT guys, (they work on computers for a big hospital network in our area). I don't need any outside help especially when they call me.

Blog Entries

I have received this call several times. I just informed them that I have Best Buy's Geek Squad protection plan and when/if there is a problem, Best Buy will handle it for me. After this response a few times, they quit calling.

I'm just a bit concerned they will call my mom. I tell her to ignore such things but she's over 80 and technology sort bumfuzzles her so she might just fall for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast