Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have you ever received a call saying your computer called them?

Blog Entries
    Ever had a telemarketer hang up on you? I usually hang up on them. Well, we were at our kids' place doing little jobs while they were at work when the phone rang. Since they only have a landline and can't call out I felt that it was a local call. When I answered it was someone who could hardly speak English. I said to him, "We don't live here, we're just casing the joint. Click, he hung up on me. hahah
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

My daughter got a text message from someone last night and said fire and ambulance where at my house. She went to run out the door and head here and decided to call first. I told her we were fine and said they must have texted the wrong number. I have received this type of call you were talking about and I always give them a load of crap. If they call about aluminum siding I ask if it hard to install over brick. If they call about windows say your house is built in the side of a hill and have none. I am on the do not call list and still we receive crap calls.

I have get this call. First time I asked them for their number and I would call them back. Every time since I claim loudly that this is a scam. Hang up right now, and repeat those lines until they hang up. If they try to speak I interupt that it is a scam hang up.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have not received a call like this but several people in my quilt guild have and it was a topic of discussion at a meeting. If I don't recognize a phone number on caller ID then I generally don't pick up. If it's important the caller will leave a message and I can call back. I have a cell phone with a different area code than where I live and recently called an appliance repairman to get my fridge fixed and left a message. He called me right back but when he was here working on my fridge he said he hadn't answered the phone when I called because it was an out of area number and he thought it was a telemarketer so didn't answer. He said he gets a lot of telemarketer and robo calls so started not answering. When he saw that I'd left a message he checked the message and called me right back. It's rampant.

my brother inlaw got a call from them to and he doesn't even have a computer. I nearly got caught by them the first time they rang as I was expecting a call from telstra to fix a problem with my computer, I got wary when he asked me if I was sitting at my computer so I asked him for his number as I was too busy to talk to him at the moment so he gave me his number. I them checked up with the scam hotline and when he called me back I told him I had given his number to the police scam squad. now when they ring I just hang up on them.

Haha, my husband tells them he has an Apple!
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

I have caller Id on phone and if I don't recognize the number I do not answer...if its a legit call the caller will leave a message...then I will return that call........

read this somewhere..
    me... hello
    them... start spele
    me... hold on sir...there has been a murder here. What is your name and how do you know the victim?
    them... hang up!
    me... rotfl

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

That has happened to me 2-3 times. The first time I was sick. When the call came, he said my Windows has been sending out all kinds of signals of trouble but they could fix it. He told me to go sit in front of my computer and he'll tell me what to do. I told him I was sick and couldn't do it. He asked when I could do it. I said when I got better. He told me if I didn't do it right away, he couldn't be responsible for what would happen. When I got off the phone, I called Microsoft and told them what happened. They said there was nothing wrong with my computer and they don't make calls like that. I got another call like that a couple months later, and I told them "There's nothing wrong with my computer and I figured they were just telling me to sit in front of my computer to do something to give them access or get personal information. They got the wrong person if they were going to do that but I kept thinking of all the people who fall for it.

If you ever get an e-mail from some company (PayPal, ebay, etc., your bank) asking that you call them or they will halt use of your card, never call on the number they give you, or on the site they give you to click on. Instead, go to the particular site and use the "contact" link or call them.

my dad (who was close to 90 at the time) was getting scam calls. he'd been scammed by someone who came to the house, and demanded money--and then came back, and demanded more. when stuff started on the phone, as well, we changed the number he'd had for over 50 years. he had been a brilliant mind, back in the day, but time and technology did its own scam on him. we tightened up every kind of access to him, and left written instructions by the phone--and put caller ID on his phone. it protected him until he passed away, but vigilance is the only way top protect our older family members.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Blog Entries
    I got one of those calls. I told them my other line was ringing and could they call me on my other phone. I gave them the sheriff's number. Next time it could be the State Police or the Attorney General's office.

Mary

I got took for 750.00 because these people from Microsoft kept calling to tell me my computer was sending the error messages and because I was stupid enough to allow them remote control of my computer I was sending money from my bank to India via my debt card but my bank called and caught most of the action stopped but not before they took that much out.. I recouped almost 450.00 by calling Western Union and they refunded me my money back since I hadn't approved the amounts and it was a fraud scam.
    Lise

Blog Entries
    Ptquilts- i love it! I have caller ID I dont know the number i dont answer! Most never leave a message either! :-)

I got this call 2 days ago. I told the guy my son was a techno geek, he maintains our computers and there is nothing wrong with my computer, the guy actually got mad and started to argue with me, I hung up on him.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I find when they call, and they have, that this is the time to practice all the bad words I can come up with along with screaming at them that they are frauds....I love it. I wouldn't talk to a dog like this, but these guys deserve it! They go away quickly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarpanini View Post
    Haha, my husband tells them he has an Apple!
    I get one of these every once in a while. I have my script ready.- "You say there's something wrong with my computer?" (Or whatever their opening line is repeated back to them, then I am so very concerned that I start to tear up, because I only have a little insurance money left, and How will I ever get it fixed?) (This is where they tell me they can fix it for me.) You can?! Oh my it must be my lucky day! OK, tell me what to do! The first question is always "what operating system do you have? My answer is "electric". While they try to figure out what I just said, (Did I mention I take my teeth out to answer the call) while they are telling me what to do, I am being very noisy while punching keys on the keyboard, and asking them to wait, can you repeat that, etc. after having trouble doing what they want, I suddenly say I know what the problem is! "I just got an error message telling me that punching buttons on a keyboard, while the computer is off is useless." They usually hang up in disgust at this point, but if they don't, my next question is "Should I turn it on now?" (This is usually followed by silence on the line... ) Mwahahahaha! I am a vicious old broad!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I get one of these every once in a while. I have my script ready.- "You say there's something wrong with my computer?" (Or whatever their opening line is repeated back to them, then I am so very concerned that I start to tear up, because I only have a little insurance money left, and How will I ever get it fixed?) (This is where they tell me they can fix it for me.) You can?! Oh my it must be my lucky day! OK, tell me what to do! The first question is always "what operating system do you have? My answer is "electric". While they try to figure out what I just said, (Did I mention I take my teeth out to answer the call) while they are telling me what to do, I am being very noisy while punching keys on the keyboard, and asking them to wait, can you repeat that, etc. after having trouble doing what they want, I suddenly say I know what the problem is! "I just got an error message telling me that punching buttons on a keyboard, while the computer is off is useless." They usually hang up in disgust at this point, but if they don't, my next question is "Should I turn it on now?" (This is usually followed by silence on the line... ) Mwahahahaha! I am a vicious old broad!
    Haha...I love it! Don't they know not to mess with us?

I have caller ID and do not answer any calls I don't recognize. If they don't leave a message on my machine, I assume it wasn't important or was a scam. Sometimes when they call and mispronounce our last name I ask..."who is calling"? They rattle off who they are and I just hang up. One time someone called for my husband..."May I speak with Mr.... I said, "he's at work right now". They asked if I had the authority to make decisions and I told them I was just the housekeeper. They hung up on me! haha

I just got the call from them 5 minuets ago . I am so glad I saw this post the other day . I just said scam scam scam and hung up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2