Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever seen a piebald deer? >

Have you ever seen a piebald deer?

Have you ever seen a piebald deer?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM

I am sooo jealous. You are so lucky to have such great neighbors. I have a lot of neighbors, and I could take a picture, but the chances are it would be the Long Island Rail Road.. I walk out the door each morning to see the gates go down, and the train pulling into the station.. Ughhh
Old 08-27-2013, 05:13 PM

This is why I love this board! You learn something new everyday!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 AM

Well many years we would wake up and see white deer sitting in our front yard, this explains it. thank you for sharing.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 AM

Now I have. Thanks for the pics!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 AM

We have lots of deer in our woods and nice to see that piebald which I've never heard that before.Hope he grows up and continues to come around ,so keep camera ready.....Send us more in winter
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 AM

My condo faces out onto a wooded area and I see a fair number of deer. A couple of years ago I saw a piebald and I didn't know what it was. It was so mottled my first thought was it was a cow or a pony but then I realized that couldn't be it. I did get a couple of photos but they were very poor. I saw it two or three times and have not seen it since. From what I've read, I don't think they have a great survival rate.

There is a well known photograph by Paul Caponigro of running white deer in Ireland. These aren't the piebald variety but it has a lot of white deer. It's a beautiful photo. http://www.afterimagegallery.com/featurecaponigro.htm
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 AM

We have them here, as well as a few albino deer. We do not see them often unless they are on trail cameras.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
this was a new term to me. I learned it is different than an albino. this is what I found:

A piebald is an animal, usually a horse, that has a spotting pattern of large white and black patches. The color of the horse’s skin underneath its coat may vary between black (under the black patches of hair) and pink (under the white patches). The coloring is generally asymmetrical. Many animals also exhibit coloration of the irises of the eye that match the surrounding skin. This condition also occurs in white-tailed deer.

A genetic variation (defect) produces the piebald condition in white-tailed deer, not parasites or diseases. Piebald deer are colored white and brown similar to a pinto pony. Sometimes they appear almost entirely white. In addition to this coloration, many have some of the following observable conditions: bowing of the nose (Roman nose), short legs, arching spine (scoliosis), and short lower jaws. This genetic condition is rare with typically less than one percent of white-tailed deer being affected.
The piebald gene is also in cats. That's why you have any color of cat + white (black & white, red & white, tabby & white, etc). They all carry the piebald gene. In horses and cats, it doesn't seem to carry the other genetic problems. Used to raise and show Persian cats (in cats, they are called bi-colors or calicos).
Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 AM

Thank you so much for sharing and enlarging our world!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Wow that is cool, we have only seen the regular ones here in WI.