Headaches

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM

I had the worst headache today - right behind one of my eyes - I expected to find a large spike sticking out of my head. I hate when I get headaches - they really knock me down sometimes for a couple of days - I went to the Dr but they told me there is nothing they can do (I went to two different docs). Any body else get them like that? What do you do for them?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I had the worst headache today - right behind one of my eyes - I expected to find a large spike sticking out of my head. I hate when I get headaches - they really knock me down sometimes for a couple of days - I went to the Dr but they told me there is nothing they can do (I went to two different docs). Any body else get them like that? What do you do for them?
I get them when I have spent too much time on the internet or close work with sewing for hours on end. The doctor said to take breaks. If you use your eyes close up, every hour you need to do something using your eyes for distance. Take your breaks. This has helped me.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM

During the summer or a big weather change I get a headache behing my right eye!! It's from my sinuses though!! They usually only last for about an hour or two!! But they wear me out for the rest of the day!! Hope you figure it out!!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM

I use a warm pack. I know its going to sounds strange. Take a sandwich bag, add 1/2 cup cornmeal, seal, heat for 10sec at a time in microwave til warm, shake(it gets hot spots). Apply over the painful area. If its sinsus it seems to ease it off.Hot showers aimed on that spot, help also. Here is another strange suggestion. Take your earlobe and pull it away from your cheek area, rotate in a circular pattern in both directions while pulling out slightly. It will take a lot of tension out. I take one pain pill if all else fails. Work most of the time for me

:D
Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Dehydration causes headaches like that for me. Try drinking 2-3 large glasses of water.............
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM

I don't get them like this, but my DH does. They're called Cluster Headaches and he explains it as there is a railroad spike sticking out of his head that someone keeps pounding in. He uses oxygen for them and that's the only thing that has helped.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 AM

Sounds to me like one of my migraines. That is one of the symptoms. Pain in either one half or one quarter of the head, like a nail sticking in your brain. Sometimes upset stomach and even sometimes actual nausea and vomiting. Sun or loud noises makes the pain worse. Even moving can make it hurt more.

Some people have what is called a Prodrome. This can be some sort of eye problem. One of my sisters and one daughter have frozen black lightening flashing before their eyes, and when it finally gets to the other side they know the pain will start. Some people lose view of circular spots, parts of faces will be missing and white blank parts of papers or books. I have tunnel vision, fog around my eye sight. One male nurse said his started looking like he was viewing the world through a kaleidoscope, and then his pain would start.

One doctor I was referred to said as soon as the pain started, immediately start keeping a careful diary, going back 3 or 4 days BEFORE the pain started and putting down every thing you ate, drank, the weather, tired or angry, etc. And in a couple of weeks a strong pattern would show up. My worst foods are of course my favorites, hard cheese and souse meat. Also bad are nitrates and nitrites , as are fermented foods. And chocolate!
Unfortunately, I was told that we quite often crave what we are allergic to.

Sorry about the lecture, but I had migraines for so many years that it made me lose a lot of my favorite times with DH and kids. On the average, mine lasted 3 days, flat out in bed in a darkened bedroom with an ice pack on my head. Once and sometimes twice a month. And often staggering to the bathroom to unload my last few meals! Not a time that one wants to remember. Generally it is much easier after the 40s or 50s.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

i get migraines...luckily rarely, but when they happen it's bad...my dr found me something called Maxalt..i call it "magic migraine pill" they 'fix' me ... when i get a migraine it puts me right down, if i raise my head i am throwing up...i get one of the magic (melts-you put it in your mouth and let it desolve) crawl into bed and when i wake up next head ache is gone. took a long time and lots of tests ect before they found something that works for me...but they really work well..magic! i don't leave home without carrying one with me...just in case. my headaches we found triggers for and i can most of the time avoid them...once in awhile though...omg...bad bad headaches are bad!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 AM

Romona has given you some good advice. I too went through the migraine merry-go-round. When mine started, they hit me one day out of the blue with no warning, and I thought my head would explode. That along with nausea, vomiting and nails in my eyes. I would even wake up from a sound sleep vomiting. After 2 neurologist, ultrasound, CT scan, etc, etc and a daily headache....9 months later the docs finally figured out the correct dose of meds to control mine. I usually don't get them unless I have a lot of stress.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 AM

[quote=tuesy]
I don't get them like this, but my DH does. They're called Cluster Headaches and he explains it as there is a railroad spike sticking out of his head that someone keeps pounding in. He uses oxygen for them and that's the only thing that has helped.[/quote

Someplace must have had a sale on those spikes, I have one sticking out of my left eye now as well.