Help with cabbage

Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Is there anything I can add to cooking process to minize (sp.) the odor of cooking cabbage.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM

from ThriftyFun.com

I love cooked cabbage, but I don't like the smell it leaves in the house. To remedy that, I add just a little vinegar to the cooking water. It helps reduce the odor a lot!

from another site

Another trick to avoiding the cabbage odor during cooking is to add an English walnut, shell and all, to the cooking water. A stalk of celery added to the cooking water may also help to reduce or eliminate that cabbage smell.

Can't say I have tried either of these - I am still waiting for them to make an air freshener that smells like onions and garlic sauteing.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I cook it using a method I call steam frying- and it doesn't have a very strong odor at all cooking it that way.

There probably is a more "official" name for this way of cooking, but I think it works well with a lot of vegetables - carrots, asparagus, zucchini, cabbage, broccoli.

Cut the vegetables into small pieces - slice/shred the cabbage so it is about 1/8 inch wide -

Heat a large frying pan with butter or olive oil - add vegetables - add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water to it - cover with a tight fitting lid (I like a glass one so I can observe what the food is doing without having to take the lid off) - and cook until vegetables are crisp tender.

Don't go wandering too far away while this is cooking. It can go from "perfect" to scorched in a couple of minutes. There is a short time from when the water is absorbed - to scorched.

I can smell the food while it cooks, but it doesn't seem to linger very long.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM

I love cabbage cooked this way!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:57 AM

I LOVE the smell of cooked cabbage.....it's fried fish that get me. I just open the doors and windows....:) Even when it's COLD outside!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks. It's adding vinegar to cooking water. I tried this too many years ago to remember. I know it works. Just couldn't remember what I added as I only tried it the one time. I convinced myself it was a wine vinegar & I have none on hand.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM

I suggest cooking it on the porch. :lol: This may be the reason my husband never gets Borscht. I can't stand the smell.