Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP!!!  I have never had a TOY >

HELP!!! I have never had a TOY

HELP!!! I have never had a TOY

Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM

in minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes, they aren't "hood ornaments"--they are "muskie bait"...

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by frauhahn
Don't know much about dachshunds, but she is sure a cutey!
I am more of a DOG person..not a TOY person..hehehe

I really wanted to replace our Golden retriever with a yellow lab...sigh..I got hood ornament instead!
:lol: :lol: "hood ornament"; that's a good one.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM

What a cutie... my DH and I have two, our son has one, his mom has one, his brother has 4..I can keep going. ha ha ha The very most important thing to know about these dogs..they are bred to hunt..so their nose..works over time. Plus..they are runners. Even if you train them to stay in certain areas of the yard..if something catches their eye..at a blink of an eye they can run right out in the road.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mzmama
Sounds like a dog for the Dog Whisperer. Have you read his books? Stand your ground with the little one..you will do it.
I watched his show on TV today, if it is on in your area, you should watch it.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 PM

What a cutie. Bet she is better than any guard dog you could have gotten! We had 2 doxies and they were great.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 AM

Congratulations on Daisy! She is a little cutie. Do you know a trainer in your area who could give you some guidance? Maybe your vet? The shepherd in my avatar had ‘issues’ to overcome when we got her and bad manners. It took some time and patience but she was definitely worth it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Obedience classes for your new baby! That will give you an opportunity to bond, one on one, and hopefully get rid of some of those issues.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 AM

My relatives had a doxie and had to get rid of it. Couldn't be trained.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Is she a nippy one? I have a 7# maltese and he can easily move toward "small dog syndrome" if allowed - thinking he owns the world. He has to be reminded I'm the alpha. I'm not accustomed to having to use my growly voice and mean look LOL Time out in his kennel for a minute each time he got snippy with me or our 40# dog worked well.
NO...not nippy, snippy, etc...BUT she does think she is ALPHA...we got her yesterday and I have actually spent most of today teaching her that "I" am the ALPHA everything in this household....

She does not respond to her name at all...yet I know she knows I am talking to her..doxies tend to ignore you quite well...

she was allowed to bark at you and then expects to JUMP up into your arms...NOT...not only do I not respond to being barked at, I do NOT allow my dogs to jump at anything/anyone/anytime...PERIOD...

She also thinks if it is in the house it must be HER chew toy...again, NOT...so she gets a firm NO, a finger on her nose and a toy put in her mouth and then time in the crate...

We are most terrified of STEPPING on her...
I love to read how you are training her. I have a friend that I no longer visit with in her home because she allows her dog to jump all over me. Bless you for being the ALPHA!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Daisy update...as it has been a little over a week now...what a week...finding out that TINY dogs cost BIG money...just to keep her safe and out of trouble!
Daisy LOVES to eat...out of everybody's dish BUT hers! Daisy still thinks SHE has to have everything FIRST...still working on her understanding N-O means NO...she acts deaf when I say that word...
but all in all..she is amazingly funny, smart, and loving! Harley the big bro doxie has finally forgiven me, and plays chase all day with her..and tug of war too!
BUT he gets to lie next to mom in bed every morning and Daisy gets next to him...and that is all he going to say about HER being the bed at all..ehhehe
Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 PM

Daisy update...as it has been a little over a week now...what a week...finding out that TINY dogs cost BIG money...just to keep her safe and out of trouble!
Daisy LOVES to eat...out of everybody's dish BUT hers! Daisy still thinks SHE has to have everything FIRST...still working on her understanding N-O means NO...she acts deaf when I say that word...
but all in all..she is amazingly funny, smart, and loving! Harley the big bro doxie has finally forgiven me, and plays chase all day with her..and tug of war too!
BUT he gets to lie next to mom in bed every morning and Daisy gets next to him...and that is all he going to say about HER being the bed at all..ehhehe
8-) So glad the two are getting along.