Help Me With My Kitty

Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Oh Joyce, so sorry to hear your baby is poorly. My Kitchen had a urinary infection too, but his was caused by being accidentally locked out of the room where his litter tray was (I was on holiday and someone was looking after the cats for me. ggrrr). He must have held on for so long before finally peeing on the carpet that it gave him an infection. Same can happen to us ladies if we hold on to it too long!! (Not the peeing on the carpet part though!)

I really hope he gets better soon, please keep us updated!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Just caught up with this Joyce - I can't add anything to the good advice given above only to say I hope kitty is OK. My Barney is a neutered male and I didn't know about the crystals thing so thanks everyone for that.

K x
Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 AM

Adding to saravincent's comments, I did loads of reading about UTI's in indoor neutered male cats, and came to the conclusion that even though Kitchen's case was caused by holding in his wee too long, I would take the advice given....I got the cats a water fountain too but the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, so now I just put a fresh bowl of water out every day (a wide bowl too, some cats don't like their whiskers touching the side of the bow when they drink). I feed them normal brand wet food, with a few crunchies for variety and texture. I also pour a little water over their food whcih they love to lap up before the start eating.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Adding to saravincent's comments, I did loads of reading about UTI's in indoor neutered male cats, and came to the conclusion that even though Kitchen's case was caused by holding in his wee too long, I would take the advice given....I got the cats a water fountain too but the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, so now I just put a fresh bowl of water out every day (a wide bowl too, some cats don't like their whiskers touching the side of the bow when they drink). I feed them normal brand wet food, with a few crunchies for variety and texture. I also pour a little water over their food whcih they love to lap up before the start eating.
One of my cousin's cats will ONLY drink from the tap so the tap in her kitchen sink is left dripping constantly for him! Everyone who goes there has to be told NOT to turn it off! :D

K x
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

One of my cousin's cats will ONLY drink from the tap so the tap in her kitchen sink is left dripping constantly for him! Everyone who goes there has to be told NOT to turn it off! :D

K x
haha

Yes, I will let my tap run for a while as the cats like to slurp from them. Even the tap in the bath!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM

My kitties like the flowing water so much that they drink more (and wee more too - but NOT on the carpet :( , poor guy) I even got my daughter a fountain for my grandkitties. However, never discount the appeal of lapping water from a toilet bowl.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Kitty Update:

Took Emile to the Vet first thing this morning. She (a new associate vet who looked about 18 yrs. old) wanted to do blood tests and an urine test. Well, of course, Emile had already left a urine deposit in the van so she asked me to leave him for the day.

In her opinion, the urinary tract infection is "secondary" and until she gets tests back tomorrow, she won't know exactly what his problem is. Possibilities are his kidneys or diabetes, two of the most common kitty illnesses. So after she gets blood and urine, she was going to give him an injection of antibiotics to start clearing that up right away.

Leaving him in her arms was one of the hardest things I've had to do in a long time!! But in about an hour, I can go pick him up :D :D I can just imagine the "talking to" I'm gonna get on the way home from him....:roll: :roll:

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Please DO let us know the prognosis! As I write, I have a Yeti cat trying to cling to my lap and am being stared at by a rat terrier who thinks SHE should be on my lap!
The rat terrier wouldn't go outside yesterday because we had storms, so she had a tummyache this morning and went out and promptly started eating grass. she came in and her tummy was really growling. She went back out for a bit, Iwasn't watching, but in a few minutes she was barking for her doorman to open up and let her back in. She has been fine all day, just jealous!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Emile is back home now and was really happy to see me. Sat in my lap all the way home and wet down my jeans for me just in case I was hot :shock:

He had a very serious conversation with me on the drive home and I promised not to do that to him again unless I had too...

Right now, he happily chewing on his plastic toy near my feet (which is actually a qt. size glad bag whose "zipper" won't zip so he can't suffocate himself. He doesn't want inside the bag, just chews on it...)

I think we both feel much better now :roll: :roll:

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM

My Yeti licks plastic!
So what did the vet say was the prob? :?: