Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help on Mud Room Flooring, please !

Blog Entries

Help on Mud Room Flooring, please !

Being Southerners and always lived in South or Southwest so all of this talk of a mud room is new to us. Youngest DD and her family moved to New York state in March--yes, yes, the snow ! They recently bought a house there and want to redo flooring in mud room. I understand these rooms get wet a lot ! What would be the best flooring for them to use in this area ? What is upkeep on this room's floor -meaning how do you keep it dry? You can tell I know nothing on this subject and any help would be greatly appreciated. All we can tell them is ask neighbors or home stores for any help . Thanks, annie

Askthebuilder.com is an excellent place to pose your questions. Your questions may have already been answered, so search the site before you ask him. You can sign up for a weekly email from him too.

Power Poster
    Depending on their budget -

If I could have a mud room- the floorsurface would be fairly smooh, one piece, and non-porous. Easy to keep clean.

Then I would get those mats that catch all the yuck and put them on othe traffic areas.

We had a mud room when we lived in northern British Columbia. It (like the kitchen) had a vinyl floor. You wouldn't want carpet, or wood, and in a cold climate I think vinyl might be better than tile. Not sure what other options there are...

Quote Originally Posted by annievee View Post
    Being Southerners and always lived in South or Southwest so all of this talk of a mud room is new to us. Youngest DD and her family moved to New York state in March--yes, yes, the snow ! They recently bought a house there and want to redo flooring in mud room. I understand these rooms get wet a lot ! What would be the best flooring for them to use in this area ? What is upkeep on this room's floor -meaning how do you keep it dry? You can tell I know nothing on this subject and any help would be greatly appreciated. All we can tell them is ask neighbors or home stores for any help . Thanks, annie
    I live in PA & we have the same mud as NY State . I'd suggest vinyl flooring. Lowes, Home Depot or any local flooring store will be able to help them. You can get vinyl in solid sheet or tiles. Most use a rubber backed rug on top of the vinyl flooring to step on just inside the door.

As for upkeep....a good mop to clean up the mud. The houses heat will dry the floor after mopping. Wet shoes/boots can be placed on the floor register to dry. Hooks on the wall are great for hanging wet coats/hats/etc.

Many old houses, like mine, that were built 100 years ago, closed in the back porch & made it into a laundry/mud room. It should have a floor register for heat & a window or vent to let moisture out in summer. Winter =snow, spring =mud. A mud room can be basic or pretty fancy depending on the size & home owner.

If you google "Mud Rooms" you'll find lots of ideas.

Blog Entries
    One hard surface to avoid would be ceramic tile as it can be slippery when wet. Also avoid light colors. My farm home has sheet vinyl in a darker color because honestly I can't take time to mop floors all the time
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

You can get good quality vinyl flooring that looks just like tile. We have fooled many people with ours. Upside is that it is slightly textured so is not slippery, is a dark/mottled colour so does not show every bit of dirt, and it is much warmer and easier on the feet than real tile. One last suggestion--stay away from vinyl with shiny finishes. They get dull if you use cleaning products.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    Tile and vynil are both pretty bad for a mud room when wet they become a skating rink.They have been using a new flooring in newer commercial buildings it looks like rough wood planks - tile and I've seen some that looks like slate-it comes in lots of colors. A lot of your newer burger places have it -keeps the lawsuits down. Lowes - Menards and Home Depot all sell this product. Have them ask for the non-slip commercial vynil.

I live in Arkansas and most homes have mud rooms in my area. Older homes it was called a back porch with bench for boots and knobs for hanging coats. Mine has a laminate floor just like the kitchen. It did have tile but we had laminate put in the kitchen and I wanted the mud room to match. It's easy to clean. I use it for the dog more then people.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

dms
    I live in Wisconsin and have ceramic tile with heat under and love it. You don't need to have high gloss which would be slippery. It is so durable and looks nice forever. Hope that helps.

I have the answer ! Rarely does that happen, but this time I really do. Go to Lowes and buy the Shaw Matrix Plank Flooring. It is completely waterproof and is very similar to laminate/hard wood. I would not recommend the very dark as I have read the reviews about it scratching, but the lighter colors would be great. It is easy to install as it clicks together and there isn't any prep work underneath. Our cottage floor is all this plank flooring because we have concrete floors and are on the river, which is very moist all the time. The cost here is very reasonable.

Power Poster
    Avoid a highly textured surface - one book called it "orange peel texture" - it collects dirt and is nearly impossible to keep clean.

Power Poster
    It depends what they want to spend and the structure. A textured tile is nice but unless you have a 1/4 to 3/8 inset it can go into, you have a trippy lip even with the transition tile strip. I have a nice section of vinyl flooring in the foyer of my house. It is all one piece so clean up is a breeze and I keep a cheap flat rug from Walmart on it so I can clean it when needed. When my vinyl gets worn or I want a new pattern it is pretty inexpensive and simple to replace.

Our kitchen is our 'mud room' if you consider the dogs in/out of the muddy back yard all the time! We have a slightly textured ceramic tile in that room. The only time slipping has really been an issue is if you are 'dripping' wet with rubber-soled shoes. We also recently installed vinyl plank flooring in our dining room. It truly looks like wood! Clean up consists of either dusting or damp mop with plain water. Special cleaner if really dirty. BUT it is guaranteed for life against water damage. Bought at Home Depot and hubs did the install. Allure brand. They have 2 different grades w/different warranties/prices.

I would definitely go with some type of vinyl product and some cheap throw rugs to catch the worst of the dirt/mud. You're then able to toss them in the wash or the garbage after too much use/abuse.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have had 3 "Mud Rooms' in my life. Just outside the door to the mud room they had to wipe their feet. Then on a vinyl floor I had a 3x3 mat or depending on the inside door area. I had another mat to store their boots on. These were like car mats. Easy to hose down and dry. It was also the utility room. Never had too much trouble even though there was a lot of traffic. I had couple rubber backed rugs so no slipping.

I think I would use tile. I have a steam floor mop and it works very well and dries almost instantly. Probably have to use it a lot during "muddy" months, but only takes a few minutes

If it were me, I would install ceramic or porcelain tile, and instead using regular sanded grout, have Laticrete non-sanded grout put down. It doesn't discolor OR mildew. For our guest bathroom, I designed the layout for it and the installer suggested using Laticrete instead of regular grout, and I agreed. It costs more than regular grout, but WELL worth it! I absolutely LOVE it! It looks as good now as the day it was installed. If anyone wants to see a picture of it, send me a PM with your email address. Just yesterday I spoke with the installer about removing the grout in our master bathroom and installing Laticrete, so he's working on an estimate for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the responses. DD is so concerned about all the snow this coming winter ! She can handle the mud/dirt but is unsure of the 'Wet' stuff. I will pass on your suggestions. Thanks again, Annie

Quote Originally Posted by annievee View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. DD is so concerned about all the snow this coming winter ! She can handle the mud/dirt but is unsure of the 'Wet' stuff. I will pass on your suggestions. Thanks again, Annie
    Generally you kick the snow off your shoes outside. Most have a thick rug outside to wipe it off shoes. They're sort of bristle type rugs. Lowes/Home Depot/Wal-Mart has them. It's not like she'll have 3 foot of the white stuff inside. Any that does make it in will melt/evaporate with the heat of the house, adding moisture to the air. This is an added benefit, as the heat dries the inside air. Many of us have had to add a humidifier in winter (our furnace has one on it), as forced air heat dries the air too much & then you get a good zap when touching certain things.

Every winter is different. Some years we have a lot of snow, while other years not so much. Your daughter will do fine. She'll learn how to deal with it over time. It's not that bad.

For me...I'd take snow clean up over trying to clean up sand any day. One trip to Florida & my cars carpet was never the same....just could not get the sand out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    Tile and vynil are both pretty bad for a mud room when wet they become a skating rink.They have been using a new flooring in newer commercial buildings it looks like rough wood planks - tile and I've seen some that looks like slate-it comes in lots of colors. A lot of your newer burger places have it -keeps the lawsuits down. Lowes - Menards and Home Depot all sell this product. Have them ask for the non-slip commercial vynil.
    Great advice. I have gone skating too many times on wet tile and vinyl, all it takes is a little bit of melted snow on the bottom of your boots and look out. Ask what the flooring suppliers recommend for minimizing the accidental skating.

Yes, I agree with vinyl by the roll since it is not slippery and they have improved the look. Go shopping at both Lowe's and Home Depot to see who has what style you want.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

We put in our utility room that goes out to the covered patio, a 2x4' vinyl type snap together floor. This was several years ago, it has a rough type surface and not slippery, I think the name was Allure or something close. It is guaranteed for 25 years. It is shades of brown and they make a cleaner for it and Swiffer wet pads work too. Just vaccuming or dust mop works in between. It is wonderful. We got ours at Home Depot, don't know if they still sell it or not.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    When I lived in Buffalo NY, my mud room had a good grade of tile and I kept heavy rugs on the floor to catch the wet...