Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with Simplicity 2238 - raw edge ruffles? >

Help with Simplicity 2238 - raw edge ruffles?

Help with Simplicity 2238 - raw edge ruffles?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 AM

I know many quilters are also seamstresses, so I'm hoping some of you have made this dress and can help.

I'm down to finishing the skirt, and even though I have read the instructions no less than 10 times, it appears to me they are calling for the ruffles to have NO finishing to the edge.

The ruffles are cut on the bias, and are only about 1" wide. Even a tiny, rolling edge is going to make them not look like the pattern.

I have sewn for 50 years, but have to admit haven't done any children's clothing until lately - am making school clothes for Eric's granddaughters. The flowers on this were a booger, but I got them done.

Will bias ruffles help keep them raveling? I'm just lost here, and poor little Gabrielle has been patiently waiting for this outfit.

Any help would be so much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-251238.jpe  
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 AM

I haven't made this pattern but have just read the instructions for the ruffles, and yes it seems that the ruffles are raw edge. Cutting the fabric on the bias will help prevent fraying. I would make and put the ruffles on the dress as the instructions say, no hem on the ruffles at all. If you are really worried about the edges fraying you could overlock the edges with some matching thread. You can PM me if you want to discuss further
Old 09-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs B
I haven't made this pattern but have just read the instructions for the ruffles, and yes it seems that the ruffles are raw edge. Cutting the fabric on the bias will help prevent fraying. I would make and put the ruffles on the dress as the instructions say, no hem on the ruffles at all. If you are really worried about the edges fraying you could overlock the edges with some matching thread. You can PM me if you want to discuss further
Or if you really can't live with that, cut the ruffles double the width, and fold in half. They will be heavier and more bulky though.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 AM

What type of fabric are you using. If it is a knit, it probably will not fray at all.

Or how about using fray stop along the edges--or would that change the feel or colour of the fabric?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 AM

I'm with you in being hesitant to do the raw edge ruffles, although bias cut would definitely help with the tendency to fray. My personal choice would be to cut the ruffles double width even though that would be more bulky. I would probably not do them bias in that case (less fabric required) unless you have a stripe or plaid so that doing it on the bias would look cuter.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 AM

I am using a good quality quilting cotton, so it's a little thicker.

I'm going to go ahead and do it like the pattern calls for. I think to double the fabric would make the ruffles too thick, and fray check might be scratchy, and might show since two of the ruffles have black background.

Thank you SO much to all that replied. I'm hoping the bias will keep the raveling down to a minimum, and will tell Gabby's mom to hand wash the outfit.

Sheesh...children's patterns sure have changed a lot since I last made them!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM

I am having a problem with this pattern as well, but it isn't the skirt. It's the top. No matter how many times I read the instructions and look at the visual, I can't figure out how to attach the yoke. The way it's shown on the instructions, and the way it's worded just doesn't make any sense to me! Can anyone help?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM

I can! I have sewn for 50 years, and that yoke ate my lunch!
What I finally did was stitch a 5/8" guide seam on the underarms of the top. I then clipped the seam almost to the stitching, so it would lay flatter. It went together much easier. That's the way we used to do these kind of things, but the instructions nowdays don't show how to do that.

By the way, the ruffles turned out okay with the raw edge, so don't be afraid of them. I finally had to get the seam marker out and mark the gathering line in order to stitch 1/8" on either side as the pattern called for.

And I cut one ruffle 1/8" off, so I only put two ruffles on. It looks okay, but I probably should have recut another ruffle to do 3 like the pattern.

Gabbie is very tall for her age, (she's 8) and very slender. Her hips are only 23 1/2". I sewed off a size 6, and added about 2" to everything. She loves her outfit, and it looks cute on her. I'll post a pic as soon as I transfer it from my camera.

Not the easiest pattern, for sure! But worth it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-251587.jpe  
Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Monna, thanks so much! This does help tremendously. Your outfit looks fantastic! I hope mine looks just as nice!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Monna That turned out just sew cute! she looks so grown up in her skirt and top. And she looks so proud to wear such a gorgeous outfit. I'll post a pic of my grand daughter in her 'Alice' costume on Sunday. It's her Birthday and she will be 8 too.