Help....we have ants!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM

I do not use the ant traps. I use the Torro that you squirt on a piece of paper. It works for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:04 AM

We are prone to getting carpenter ants in the house. I have an exterminator (privately owned, not a chain one) who comes out quarterly and sprays. Expensive but worth it. No ants since. Now they only spray outside. They have also taken care of carpenter bees and a hornets nest. I think it is worth the money base on the damage insects can do.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 AM

Finding out what they are looking for is a good start. I found them inside my little bear honey container. The top wasn't quit closed and they found their way into the bear's tummy! I think they stayed as long as THEY wanted to and finally left. I tried lots of things too. Those were the bigger black ants. My DH dropped a rice check on the carpet and I noticed black dirt on the carpet... It was a bunch of little tiny ants!! Goodness.. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 AM

Spread bounce sheets around the house. It works for the tiny little ants which invade my house. Wear one in your pocket to ward off bees.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 AM

I just saw something the other day about ants not liking vinegar. Maybe you could try wiping down everything really well and see if that helps. Good luck getting rid of them. Only time I remember having a serious problem with them - years ago - we ended up having to tear out walls as they were living inside the wall. It was not fun but we haven't had any other problems. (knocking on wood!)
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 AM

I used some baby powder around the kitchen sink and they would walk through it and they are still there.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by grammydar
Can anyone help me get rid of the ants that have invaded my kitchen?
I have tried Terro, and Borax. and still they keep coming back.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Get some Diotemaceous Earth FIRST and put it all around the foundation of your house, basement window sills, crawl space vents, the crack where the front steps meet the foundation etc. This will get rid of anything trying to get into the house.

The "ant traps" that are sold only attract them... you don't want to attract them, you want to keep them away. Once you get rid of the initial problem, you can use Penny Royal, an herb you can get at most garden shops, it is dried and crushed and sold by the ounce, very lightweight and not costly. Buy some of the small organza bags they use for wedding/shower favors at Michael's, with a drawstring on the top. Fill up the bags with the Penny Royal and place them everywhere you don't want any insects. Under the sinks, vanities, etc, closet shelves etc. Works great. It IS dangerous for pets, so you cannot have it out in the open. Refresh the little bags every year or so. Natural is best.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 AM

I have tried every home remedy the B/members suggested a couple months ago and the ants just moved to another room til they were 4 rms out of7 -nothing worked for me So I ended up getting Terro I put a couple drops on cardboard in all the rooms and they are gone The Terro spray did not work I tried that first cause my Aunt had some- But the drops got rid of the ants in 3-4 days
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 AM

A few years ago we had the same problem. This is what worked. I poured EQUAL around the outsides of all my cupboards. Even after they were gone, I keep it down.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM

We use Home Defense by Ortho and spray it on the outside perimeter of the house. Its on sale now at Menards.It is also good for spiders outside around your house . If its grease ants use the Terro ANt Killer product and put a few drops on paper or cardboard and it should get rid of them.