Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
herniated discs...have you got em?? >

herniated discs...have you got em??

herniated discs...have you got em??

Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 AM

I have 2 herniated and one ruptured disk in my upper back lower neck region. I went to the doctor because of lots of numbness in my back arm and fingers. The ruptured dick touches my spinal cord. He was surprised it isn't painful. Sometimes pain but mostly numb. He sent me for PT and it is a lot better. He said it will probably need surgery sometime and my body will let me know when it is time. He said I know my body and would be able to ell. At this time it isn't doing anything like permanent damage so I can wait on surgery. He said I could need surgery in a month or it could be 20 years, I would know when it is time. I would try PT, as long s I behave myself it is a lot better. Check the height of your cahir and sewing machine changing it helps a lot. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 AM

I, too, have herniated discs in my lower back. My best advice for you is to start walking. Even if you can only go for short walks for short periods of time, if you persevere I am sure it will help. I've worked up to walking about two to three miles a day and it really makes a difference. I also take SierraSil daily and find that it helps a lot too. Take it for at least a month before you make your decision whether or not you like it. Set your timer when you sew! Every twenty minutes or so, get up and stretch.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 AM

I had back surgery last year - and am so glad I did. I had two herniated disks in my lower back causing pressure on my sciatic nerve. I was in such pain from my back to my big toe! I waited almost a month before having the surgery. My doc thought it was only one herniated disk, but in surgery discovered two. His quote was "huge". I have tingling in my foot and a bit of numbness, but that is because I suffered nerve damage from waiting too long to have the surgery. Good luck - your back will feel much better!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 AM

Water, water, water.........are you drinking enough? As hard as I know this is for people to believe, it is the missing ingredient in many, many health issues. We are 70% water and we drink mostly tea, coffee and soda. Tea and coffee are strong diuretics which rob us of what water we do drink. You need 16 ounces of water to counteract the effects of one 8-ounce cup of coffee or tea. I am an herbalist and my clients learn the important value of water in feeling better. It's really that important.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 AM

My husband has been suffering with back issues since he was 22 years old. (Injury from work) One day all he did was cough and blew a disc out.That was on a Friday. He went to work..when he went to bed that night, all was okay (so we thought). I left for work way before he woke. I get a call from my son, his dad called him crying for help getting out of bed. Took them 20 minutes to get him out of bed, and down the steps. That was the last time he slept in bed for 2 months. He finally had to consent to surgery, as his leg/foot went totally numb. He walked with a walker, and his leg just dragged behind him. The doctor was very worried, he said he may never regain all the feeling in his leg/foot.He is still (after 5 years post surgery) he still does have numbness in his foot yet. The surgeon really wanted to disable him...he refused..stubborn fart he is..but as he said..he was not even 50 yet. As I write this.. he is in back pain again. His does not happen for a reason we can pinpoint. He does nothing different and it just goes out. He will not let his back issues run his life as he says.

P.S.
Our doctor told us..the majority of people have them, but.. not everyone has pain from them.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 AM

I went through doctors not wanting to give me an Mri until I went to my good ol gp and cried and begged. Went to pain doc, back doc, oh! lets try this. Well got the mri and I had deteriating vertibra. They fall into the spinal cavity and pinch nerves. Got operated on. Have had 2 back surgeries. 8 screws , 7 titanium rods. First back surgery came out great. Second one had a stretched nerve and am still in
therapy but no back pain. As of yet. Big decision but I know what kind of pain you are in and surgery is not so bad
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM

I feel for you, was diagnoised 3 years ago with sciatic nerve
compression - tried physical therapy, chiropractor being stretch on a machine and then accupunture. Nothing has helped. Do NOT want to have surgery - so I suffer.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Jaciqltznok:

Last August, after suffering for seven+ years, I had surgery on L3-L4 - a microdiscectomy. It is the best thing I could have done. I tried chiropractic care in the beginning of this journey and actually did get relief, but eventually after several epidural steriod injections, accupuncuture, physical therapy, I could not take the pain any longer. Any doctor who is good and willing to exhaust every avenue will tell you, you will know when it is time for surgery. Early on when I started having problems, the first neurologist I saw sent me for one injection and when I did not get relief, he said my only choice would be fusion surgery. I opted to try a second injection and got pain relief for the following two years. When I started having problems again, I saw a sports medicine doctor who was going to send me for water therapy and the morning before I was to start, I got out of bed and almost fell over in severe pain. I thought, well this must be the sign that I need surgery, but it wasn't. I journeyed on for another few years getting injections in my back until after spending eight months sleeping in a lounge chair because I could not sleep flat I went in to see my sports medicine doctor. I told him, I couldn't go on any longer. He told me, you know, "I think it is time, you have been so upbeat throughout the course of this, I can see that you have had enough". My surgery was done by a neurosurgeon August 2nd of last year and I am doing wonderful.

Everyone's advice to you on this board is good advice and it is great to see such positive results for others who have had surgery and/or relief from physical therapy. I was scared to death to have surgery because all you can find on the internet is negative info. The best advice is to be sure you see a good doctor, get a second opinion. My prayers will be with you that you can eventually find relief.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
My husband has been suffering with back issues since he was 22 years old. (Injury from work) One day all he did was cough and blew a disc out.That was on a Friday. He went to work..when he went to bed that night, all was okay (so we thought). I left for work way before he woke. I get a call from my son, his dad called him crying for help getting out of bed. Took them 20 minutes to get him out of bed, and down the steps. That was the last time he slept in bed for 2 months. He finally had to consent to surgery, as his leg/foot went totally numb. He walked with a walker, and his leg just dragged behind him. The doctor was very worried, he said he may never regain all the feeling in his leg/foot.He is still (after 5 years post surgery) he still does have numbness in his foot yet. The surgeon really wanted to disable him...he refused..stubborn fart he is..but as he said..he was not even 50 yet. As I write this.. he is in back pain again. His does not happen for a reason we can pinpoint. He does nothing different and it just goes out. He will not let his back issues run his life as he says.

P.S.
Our doctor told us..the majority of people have them, but.. not everyone has pain from them.
Your husband is to be commended for not wanted to let his back issues run his life. My hubby is same way. One thing I have learned is to be careful not to overdo the sympathy.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
unfortunately my insurance is military based. the military will NOT recognize(nor pay for) acupuncture, chiropractor or homeopathic treatments! SO if I choose to do those, I not only have to pay for them myself, but if they do not work, my insurance can refuse payment for traditional treatment to fix things later! It is a fine catch-22 for sure! but when I meet the neuro guy I will do my best to put any surgery off for as long as possible!

I might also add that I am a diabetic with a lapband..I eat very little, but it is ALL healthy..I take tons of vitamins and supplements and I work out every day!
I have military insureance also. I have a torn disc at L5. with the nerve down my right leg killing me at times. right leg has limited use. I can walk and stand, but have lots of trouble getting up from a sitting possition. after going round and round, Finially I am seeing a pain managment dr that I like. We are doing physical therapy and some pain med. (tramadol) Just started, so cant say how it will work. I did Chiro and that made it worse, plus insurance doesnt cover it. good luck, thinking about you.