Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
herniated discs...have you got em?? >

herniated discs...have you got em??

herniated discs...have you got em??

Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM

I have 2 and one thats on its way. You may not believe me but stretching is the best thing in the world for them. My doc said staying flexible is number one. Stretch everyday if you can stand the pain. Evenually it gets better and eases. I still have to be careful, but I havent had a doc visit for it in over a year. I've had mine since I was 16 and I'm now 42.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I have 2 and one thats on its way. You may not believe me but stretching is the best thing in the world for them. My doc said staying flexible is number one. Stretch everyday if you can stand the pain. Evenually it gets better and eases. I still have to be careful, but I havent had a doc visit for it in over a year. I've had mine since I was 16 and I'm now 42.
what is funny is that my back does not hurt...I can still bend and touch my toes...and do that daily...it is laying down in the bed that kills me...so I might try some stretching before bed time...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM

I have had herniated discs for about 10 years. The dr. wanted to do surgery, but I didn't. I will put off surgery until the pain becomes unbearable. I also have lupus so that plays into my pain also.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Jacquie... please ask your doctor about doing some physical therapy? It often works wonders (did for me) and many others, too. Someone mentioned strengthening your core and back muscles... also very good advice... but not on your own... Your doctor would need to refer you to a good physical therapist... there are many in OK, probably several in Enid... It is often quite amazing the results one can achieve from physical therapy!

so sorry... I know how much it can hurt... and you just can't get away from the pain...

and about being "old"... Daddy preferred the term "chronologically challenged" ha ha

(my motto when I turned 50 was "five years to the discount" :lol:
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I am so sorry about your disc. My youngest DS that is 32 has one and is avoiding surgey by going to a PT. It is working. He was on steroids for awhile and that may have helped some, but the daily exercises help tremendously. So far he is managing & doing Oilfield work. I wish you the ebst of luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I was just told that the HIP issue I have been being treated for over the last year plus was NOT a hip issue at all...though since the Doc would never take xrays or have an MRI done how would she have known...fast forward to a NEW doc..would not even see me until I had xrays...did not like them so off for MRI...today I am told..worst case of 3 herniated discs he has ever seen...with multiple other issues causing nerve damages!
SORRY TO HEAR THAT BUT YES I HAVE 4 AND 1 OUT OF LINE VERTEBRAE THE PAIN OF CUTTING FABRIC OR TIEING A QUILT MAKES MY LIFE MISERABLE,I JUST TAKES MORE BREAKS AND SOME OVER THE COUNTER PAIN MEDICINE.MY POOR BACK NEVER COMPLETELY HURTING JUST HURTS MORE SOMETIMES.

Great....
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 AM

I've had the same issues and always thought it was my hip and leg. Until I turned 50 and slipped and fell at the neighbors house. Got an XRay and MRI, it wasn't the hip and leg all this time, it was the disc. 2 herniated and 1 bulging. (common for someone my age, HA) A few visits to the chiropractor and I feel good.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Had disc surgery in 1983. One bluging and one fragmented. 6 hours of surgery two blood transfusions. Best thing I ever did. No more pain and with the lost of 84 lbs. I get along just fine. I am sure the procedures are much improved. Praying for you. Just follow the instructions of your dr.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 AM

I have similar problems. Have tried everything for pain relief (pain in leg not back)acupuncture, PT, chiropractor, exercise, spinal block's,nothing helped. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I'm praying for complete healing and relief from this pain. Had surgery last May but it was not successful. New Dr. who comes highly recommended. I'm apprehensive about the procedure, but pain continues to worsen. Pray for me please.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by a1crafter
I have similar problems. Have tried everything for pain relief (pain in leg not back)acupuncture, PT, chiropractor, exercise, spinal block's,nothing helped. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I'm praying for complete healing and relief from this pain. Had surgery last May but it was not successful. New Dr. who comes highly recommended. I'm apprehensive about the procedure, but pain continues to worsen. Pray for me please.
will keep you and the surgical staff in our prayers...here is to a NEW pain free you!