Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Hideous weather

  1. #1
    Senior Member ashlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Forest. UK
    Posts
    340
    Hideous weather here in the U.K. at the moment, snow and ice making life difficult and expensive for those of us with ponies. I go out first thing and again at tea time to feed, the rest of the day is spent quilting.

  2. #2
    leonajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    middle of the Ozarks
    Posts
    434
    R u in a rural area? Hope u don't have to drive anywhere. This is to busy time of year to be snow/iced in. Plus it is so hard on the outside animals. Hope u horses have a nice warm barn or shed to get into?
    Most of our crappy weather does not start til after the New Year.

  3. #3
    Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern CO
    Posts
    958
    Sorry weather is so bad. I volunteer at a horse rescue and even with heaters in the water troughs, we still had to break the ice off the tops. A few of the horses have actually smashed the tops themselves to get to the water.

    Hope you have a joyous holiday :-D

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    The weather is certainly not good here but not as bad as it gets for some of you in USA, it is made worse by the fact that no one in control seems to do anything about the aftermath, I guess if you have big cars, plenty of money etc as all our government seem to have, it is not a problem, it certainly is for the rest of us especially the elderly and infirm who are afraid of falling. The taxi drivers charge an extra half fare at least yet our main roads are all clear down here.

  5. #5
    Super Member leiladylei54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,986
    SVS for your bad weather. We, too, have had our share of bad weather yesterday.....heavy rains causing flooding, landslides, rock slides and multiple car accidents. Guess the Obama family is not happy coming to Hawaii for Christmas with all the rain and brownout at the beaches. Oh well....

  6. #6
    bj
    bj is online now
    Super Member bj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,562
    My son and his wife are supposed to stop over in London on their way to Romania to visit her parents. Hope they don't get snowed in (or out!). Hunker in and have a good quilty break.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    My son and his wife are supposed to stop over in London on their way to Romania to visit her parents. Hope they don't get snowed in (or out!). Hunker in and have a good quilty break.
    My main worry is getting to my Mum who is disabled and 97yrs, I am her carer, she is staying for Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but it is not ideal as my only toilet is upstairs, and she cannot manage stairs very well, I think I am going to try to make my upstairs sewing room, which is also the spare bedroom, into a lounge/dining room, this means she only has to manage the stairs only once. I have most of the food in, catch up with that tomorrow, then as you say, hunker down and keep warm.

  8. #8
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,152
    Blog Entries
    1
    Crazy weather here too yesterday was only 10 degrees celcius at 11 am so I started my fire and there is snow on the higher peaks.

    Not so bad you think?

    The thing is I am in Australia and it is supposed to be SUMMER!!!!!!! :(

    I forgot to take down the Christmas decorations off my chimney before I started the fire and some look a bit sad now :thumbdown: We have never had to have the fire in December.

    There are also floods in many areas, I hope everyone stays safe.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    404
    I agree with you about cabs here in the UK charging extra. I have been stuck indoors for the past three days with the icy conditions, and tonight I had tickets for the theatre so The only way I could manage, was to get a cab.I always use the same cab company, and yes the fare into town was 50% up on what I usually pay.The only consolation was the show, which was terrific.

  10. #10
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,786
    Blog Entries
    2
    Britain and Northern European countries are being hit badly by this storm. worse than our NE states i think. but Canada is getting hit pretty bad too.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Born2Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    656
    Sad for all of you who are having such severe winter weather. Here in Texas it is 6:20 pm and it is currently 75 degrees. Very strange weather all round.

  12. #12
    Senior Member pennyj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    413
    Yep the weather has her moments, and she is raining down on men as we speak here in Victoria Australia. I am going to Perth Western Australia in 6 more days time and they are gonna have 35Celius and rain. I am still looking forward to it though. :)

  13. #13
    Member husband-of-a-quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    75
    My daughter is in Amsterdam on her way Brussels then to Paris. I hope she has a wonderful time but I am sure with her luck it will be spent in train stations. Coming from Auckland, where it was quite warm, she is loving the snow.

  14. #14
    Super Member quiltmom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by ashlett
    Hideous weather here in the U.K. at the moment, snow and ice making life difficult and expensive for those of us with ponies. I go out first thing and again at tea time to feed, the rest of the day is spent quilting.
    "Tea time" sounds so wonderful to me! Do you really have tea everyday, or is it just a designation of the time of day? (I'm hoping to hear that you really do have tea!)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Quote Originally Posted by ashlett
    Hideous weather here in the U.K. at the moment, snow and ice making life difficult and expensive for those of us with ponies. I go out first thing and again at tea time to feed, the rest of the day is spent quilting.
    "Tea time" sounds so wonderful to me! Do you really have tea everyday, or is it just a designation of the time of day? (I'm hoping to hear that you really do have tea!)
    I will re assure you that some of us really do have tea at tea time, but I think maybe we are the older ones and even then it is rare, what is really special is to go out for tea in a cafe, which is traditionally, thin sandwiches followed by fresh baked scones, strawberries and real cream, with of course a pot of leaf tea (not tea bags). The most exclusive luxury would be at The Dorchester in London. More likely it is a pot of teabag tea and a cake in the local cafe.. still pleasant to do with a friend though.

  16. #16
    Super Member Abby'smom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oak Ridge North, TX
    Posts
    7,060
    so sorry -- it is warm here (over 80 today) but we need rain

  17. #17
    Super Member quiltmom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Quote Originally Posted by ashlett
    Hideous weather here in the U.K. at the moment, snow and ice making life difficult and expensive for those of us with ponies. I go out first thing and again at tea time to feed, the rest of the day is spent quilting.
    "Tea time" sounds so wonderful to me! Do you really have tea everyday, or is it just a designation of the time of day? (I'm hoping to hear that you really do have tea!)
    I will re assure you that some of us really do have tea at tea time, but I think maybe we are the older ones and even then it is rare, what is really special is to go out for tea in a cafe, which is traditionally, thin sandwiches followed by fresh baked scones, strawberries and real cream, with of course a pot of leaf tea (not tea bags). The most exclusive luxury would be at The Dorchester in London. More likely it is a pot of teabag tea and a cake in the local cafe.. still pleasant to do with a friend though.
    A great tradition. Sounds like a great way to slow down in the day!

  18. #18
    Senior Member ajohn52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, Ne
    Posts
    366
    I love the thought of "tea time". Wish we had such a tradition here in the USA.

  19. #19
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    So sorry about the weather! Wish there was something that could be done, but all we ever to is talk about it! It is hardest on the elderly who can fall and as we get older, we do not bounce! Praying for relief for all who are suffering with it.

  20. #20
    Junior Member Irishlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    237
    I remember a few weeks ago wishing for a white Christmas. Now that old adage springs to mind, be careful what you wish for!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohn52
    I love the thought of "tea time". Wish we had such a tradition here in the USA.
    Why don't you start the tradition?

  22. #22
    Super Member juneayerza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,257
    Hi loopywren,

    Do you have clotted cream with your scones? When I was in Australia I fell in love with clotted cream, but it is very difficult to find in the US and really doesn't taste the same.

  23. #23
    Super Member janetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton, NJ
    Posts
    1,336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ahhh to spend a whole day quilting....someday I will

  24. #24
    Dotsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    946
    Won't be able to accommodate you all together but wish you were here, we had lovely rain and a lovely sunshine day in Pretoria, so clean and bright. A drop of sunshine greetings to you cold ones up North.

  25. #25
    Annie Oakley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dark Corner
    Posts
    17
    A Finnish friend of mine once mentioned that the Finns have a saying that states, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.