Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hotels and Pets....so true.. >

Hotels and Pets....so true..

Hotels and Pets....so true..

Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 AM

When we moved cross country 6 years ago, we moved with our whole menagerie... 3 horses, 4 goats, 3 dogs and a cat. We were able to find hotels that allowed us to keep our dogs in the room with us. At a hotel in Arkansas, we left the dogs in the room while we went to dinner. Apparently our weimeraner didn't like not being included at the restaurant... you know those extra locks on the doors, the little bar thing that swings over and acts like a dead bolt.....yep, she jumped up on the door and managed to swing that over and locked us out of our room!!!! Took FOREVER trying to work through the 1/2 inch of space we were able to open the door to get that pushed back over...not to mention having to fight against the excited dog jumping on the door from the inside and pushing it shut on us!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

In my experience, if there's a problem with a dog, it's really the owner that's the problem. But I don't see many dogs in my travels, guess I'm not staying at the right places!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 AM

I have to add this to my own post... just because they say pets allowed..question the rules involved. My neice is married to a legally blind man. So they have a dog for him. Make a lon story short, my son got married and two days before the wedding.. her hubby ended up in the hospital. He told his wife to still attend the wedding. So she did..she made sure the hotel allowed pets. They did..so she was all set. WRONG.. as the pet could not be left in the room alone, an adult had to be with the dog at all times.. their daughter was 14 at the time.. they said she is not an adult. So she could not sit with the dog..and they would not allow the dog in the hall with us as no pets allowed and because her hubby (the one actually blind was not there) the dog was not considered a service pet. So needless to say, she spent all that money for the trip..to just sit in a hotel room. I my self will NEVER stop at that hotel again for nothing..and I never suggest that place for weddings again. So it made us stop and think.. what do other families do in this situation?? When the person is in the hospital.. the service dog still needs to be cared for until he is back into service again. Service dogs are very very very well trained.. they are not like our average dogs and bark at things etc..
Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 AM

Whenever we travel (not too often) I always google pet friendly motels for the city where we will be stopping. Some will charge a large extra fee, as much as $50, while other charge nothing. We find LaQuinta to be very good if they happen to be in the city we are going. We have two Cavailier King Charles Spaniels who go with us most every where. They are content to stay in the car if it's not too hot or cold. They have gone to the hospital when I've had surgery--stayed in the parking lot while I was in the operating room. It gave my husband something to do other than sit and wait for my surgery to be done. He walked the dogs.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 AM

I stayed in plenty of hotels, but always checked to make sure they admitted pets. Of course, the reason I was there was for a dog show, and pet friendly hotels were always included with the entry form, so these hotels knew to expect them.
Each year our breed club would book their national at a 'host hotel' and I think doing so meant certain money for the hotel, restaurant there, and the nearby economy. We always had our banquet in one of their rooms, educational meetings in others.

Our club had a policy about taking care of the national grounds, and was very generous with passin out 'poop' bags, to help keep the grounds clean

I have basenjis that are silent, though not ALL are, and alwyas took crates for them in my room.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Love that response letter!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM

that is so true.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 AM

That's great and oh so true
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM

I have a service dog and have had to leave him when I'm in ER or hospital. Fortunately in our area we have a "doggie day care" for short stays and long term boarding. I also have a pet friend designated where I live and 2 backups for him. All that had to be worked out when I got him and over the 11 years I've had him, I've had some changes but most everyone who meets him loves him. He's got a better social life than me. LOL. Everyone knows his name but few recognize me. I'm so fortunate because if it weren't for him, I'd have to be in a nursing home. And we know how much they'd like to support my sewing/quilting. Service dogs are such a blessing! I got my life back and I'm thankful everyday.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Have read that one before. Owned a small motel in Maine for 18 yrs and never had a dog owner that up front told of his pet causing problems. Now the ones they try to sneak in are usually a different thing. This is what I wanted to post after many problems with children. "Well behaved children and pets stay free, all others are charged double. Needless to say my husband didn't agree with the posting. LOL