Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how big is your yrd?

Blog Entries

how big is your yrd?

I live in a condo. 1,000 sq ft of housing. just enough for the two of us and a cat. plus we have our fenced in patio about 150 sq ft. we have a front yard of about 300 sq ft. the sidewalk and then the common are across from us that is still woods. some people put nice gardens there. but we prefer the wooded are. be moving here. I lived down the block about a mile and had 2/3 acre. I watch some commercials and see a small ranch with hundreds of acre. so how big is your back yard?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    We live on our farm. My yard is several acres. My home sits back about 300 yds from highway!

We live out in the country, on just over 11 acres.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

We are out in the country with 5 acres, 10 miles from town. Love it!
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Blog Entries
    Our house sits on 1.96 acre of land. The house is 1,381 sq feet. Some days, its more then plenty. Enough room for three small dogs to run around. Now, throw a toddler into the mix, well yeah, we're still good. On other days or most days, its more then what we need. But, we love it. Its a good neighborhood with nice neighbors. I'm not much of a Gardner or landscaper. And, its cheaper then renting an apartment. And we get more square footage. Again, it's probably more then what we need. But, slowly but surely the grand babies are coming. So plenty of room for visitors. . It works for us.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Just a normal size city lot for us. The backyard is about 50' x 100', enough for our pool and outdoor room, a little grass, flower bed and my veggie garden.

I live in a small subdivision where each home is situated on about 1/2 acre. Because we have two lots, we have about an acre to mow. The house is 2,000 square feet. We do not have a garden. My husband is not a gardener. I grew up on a farm and did lots of farming and gardening growing up. The gardening continued until about 15 years ago when my mom was no longer able to do any work. (I had continued to help her in the summer when school was out - I taught school) and benefitted from the good veggies. I have since had many joint pains and surgeries, so I have no interest in gardening now. The Farmers' Market serves as my garden! Much easier, needless to say.

Blog Entries
    Lynnie, grand baby number two will bless us with its presence in July 2015. No word on if its a boy or girl yet. Its early. My daughter is still waiting for her first doctors appointment.

Blog Entries
    That's sounds nice. I love visiting the fresh farm stands and buying local. Ruskin Tomato's and Plant City Strawberries are to die for. Surprisingly, we get better oranges out of California. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
    I live in a small subdivision where each home is situated on about 1/2 acre. Because we have two lots, we have about an acre to mow. The house is 2,000 square feet. We do
    not have a garden. My husband is not a gardener. I grew up on a farm and did lots of farming and gardening growing up. The gardening continued until about 15 years ago when my mom was no longer able to do any work. (I had continued to help her in the summer when school was out - I taught school) and benefitted from the good veggies. I have since had many joint pains and surgeries, so I have no interest in gardening now. The Farmers' Market serves as my garden! Much easier, needless to say.

Blog Entries
    Judith, congratulations.

it's always interesting to see and hear about how others live. we don't need any property due to the fact that the indoor outdoor pool and golf course and other amenities are all at the clubhouse 1 block away. we have it all here.
    even a café.library, game rooms, card rooms the list is endless.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lynnie, that sounds like a party every day. Lol

Blog Entries
    I currently live on a city lot 120 long x60 wide feet. House is pretty much in the middle.

Fruit trees in front and back yard.

Big deck off back of house 12X24 feet. Which provides lots of covered storage too.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    We live and own 16 acres - we are at the dead end of a dirt road - 7 miles from town. We raise registered Angus Cattle (black gold) and rent a huge farm - several hundred acres. Went to St. Louis (3 hours from here) a few days ago and started back home during rush hour through St. Louis - NEVER AGAIN. My son was driving and when we got a little ways out of town we got off the highway and went to a Krispy Kreme donut shop as we had promised everybody at home donuts for the next morning and my son said we should stop for a drink instead of for donuts. The traffic really got to him and he is a professional truck driver. My sympathies to those of you who live in big cities and have to drive in it during rush hour on Friday nights.
    Nikki in MO

My husband and I lived for 17 years on 80+ acres off the grid - about 6 yrs ago - we downsized to 5 acres on the grid.

We have a fairly large back yard but it's mostly because our house is an L with the garage in the back of the L with a curved driveway with a gate across it. So while the yard is fairly big a good portion of it (better than 1/2) is driveway. Just a small grass yard and a big area under the oak tree with split leaf philodendren and other bushes.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

One house has almost 7 acres (and a 700 foot dirt driveway) and the other is just under 9acres (with a very short driveway).
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

We recently moved to a new house across the road from our farm. Our farmhouse sat way back off the road on 160 acres. We had a 15 acre yard. Our new house sits in the middle of a 2 acre lot. We also bought the empty 2 acre lot next door. It will become part of our yard. Our old farmhouse will be torn down next summer. Then the 15 acre 'yard' will either be fenced for DS to pasture cattle or will be put into hay. DH will have much less mowing to do at our new house.
    Last edited by Pam B; 12-14-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    I love hearing about the houses and the lots. I watch house hunters and am amazed what the dollar buys in different parts of the country. I love hearing about what kind of house you have too. It's amazing to hear living off the grid' stories. do you generate your own electricity? I live on Long Island, we're trying to get the wind mills in the bay for electricity. I know of a few people who use windmills. mostly people around here use solar panels as an alternative. we have flat roofs. but when they built the houses. they didn't consider solar panels, so they aren't strong enough. shame, we'd have no electric bills.

Power Poster
    ​Just an ordinary sized suburban yard but it is plenty big enough for us. I have room for a nice perennial garden around the edges with grass in the middle. The older I get the less yard work I want to do.

We're in a builder's development on a small lot. Since our house is a ranch (1800 square feet), our yard is small. We did have the back professionally landscaped because we didn't want any grass back there. We have mounds with large boulders, paths, and a large paver brick patio. The designer did a great job giving us privacy using a row of arbor vitae trees, as well as other large bushes and ornamental trees strategically placed. We don't have any solar or wind energy. We're thinking of adding a water feature for the birds, etc. that come to our yard. The backyard has to fend for itself because it's my husband's responsibility and he's still working (at least that's his excuse)!
    Lori

Suburb gal turned country living . We live on 5 acres surrounded by hundreds of farm acreage on all 5 sides. Yes we have neighbors but I cannot see them from my house. Trees block the view. 1/2 mile annd further to the next house. While the quiet and privacy is nice I could easily move back to the busy suburban life in a heartbeat. I miss having neighbors and over-the-fence conversations with neighbors. I am social. dH....not so much. Hence, this lifestyle.

We live 6 miles from town and "townies" think WE live in outer space! Good grief! it takes less time to drive to the grocery store than when I lived suburban and had to sit 4-5 stoplight cycles to drive 1.5 miles on a Saturday. THAT I don't miss!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

We are at the end of a cove with a three acre lawn with wide creek running at the edge of the backyard. Nothing but woods behind the creek. It's very private in the back but close neighbors from the front. DH spends a lot of time doing yard work. Right now leaves are falling like rain.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have almost an acre - I live in the older part of the "city" (which is now on the outskirts LOL). 2000 sq. foot house right smack in the middle of the lot. The entire front yard is a perrenial garden with veggies, and the back yard has a 25-foot pond with a waterfall that I put it this year. Plants and fishies to come next year.

I LOVE gardening. My sewing machine is put away by mid-to-late April and doesn't come back out until October!
    Attached Images Attached Images

i live on a farm about a mile from our town.

Blog Entries
    We have 10 acres and two manufactured homes on it. Mowing is a problem in the summer. And weeding. But no neighbor problems!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast