Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how big is your yrd?

We have a ranch home that sits on about 3/4 of an acre. There were no houses around us until a spec house was built next door and sat empty for about three years. A family moved in but the house is far enough away we can't hear their conversations when they are outside. On the other side was a field, but the township turned it into a park, so that makes our lot look huge. Behind us (quite a distance) is a road with woods between us and then the road. The township was going to cut it all down and use it for the park, but I called while they were doing it and asked them not to. The manager at the time got on the walkie talkie and told the guys to stop. Our backyard is so private you can't see anything past it in the summer and no one can see into it. Love it here, but anymore the yard work and snow removal is too much for us. Our neighbor cuts the grass for us which really helps. I would love to move to a townhouse or condo, but don't want to give up my huge sewing room/office. Right now daughter and DGD live with us, but they will be moving into their own place in the spring. Hopefully! Then we will have to do something because DGD won't be around to help us. She is my legs; she runs up and down the basement stairs to do laundry, get stuff from the freezer, etc.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    We have an average size city lot about 7000 square feet. The back is totally fenced with a block wall and one large gate at the back and two smaller gates on each side of the house. Almost all back yards here are fenced and some front yards are too. We have several citrus trees. We do have a large front yard that we are considering fencing in as we recently got new neighbors with so many trucks, trailers, and cars that it looks like a used car lot over there. They have degraded the neighborhood. We would like to move to a senior complex that has a lot of amenities but it's a big decision to make. Neither one of us like gardening. Actually I would rather live in the middle of 40 acres and have a moat and forest surrounding the house (make that a castle)

We have about 1.25 acres on the side of a decent sized hill. My ranch style house is in about the middle of the lot. The driveway leads up from the road the front is mostly xeriscape with drip lines running to draught tolerant palms, cacti and succulents. I have a few rock vignettes for interest and mostly dg (decomposed granite) for ground cover. Only part of the back yard is landscaped with a pool, palm trees, a fake grass putting green and short retaining wall at house level. The lower part of the yard I have a huge avocado tree and kumquat tree. The rest of the area is left wild with mostly native bushes and grasses oh and weeds. Everytime it rains I swear it rains weeds :-)
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Live in the country, we have 3 acres and there are only a few homes along our section of road. We have neighbors but no one is so close that you can hear what's happening, unless our one neighbor has all their kids home and they do a lot of drinking and break out in song, and boy do they sing loud. It doesn't happen but once or twice a year and it's kind of fun.

My yard is an acre, half of it has 13 pygmy goats. The half with the house has 5 dogs and what's left of my rose garden; the goats got out and ate it. There are days I hate goats.

We live in a small suburban city with a lot just under 1/2 acre -- really appreciate my lawn service!!
    diane

Lol at this, I live in UK and by US standards back garden is tiny,its about 40 ft by 50 ft, but by our standards a good size

I'm LOLing along with you notmorecraft. So jealous of the US lot sizes.

We're in a semi-detached (not even sure if you have that in the US - we are attached on one side to our neighbours) 2 storey house providing a grand total 750 sq feet of accommodation.

Our back garden/'yard' is about 30 feet by 25 feet (which is about double the size of most in this area, since we are a corner plot sort of on the dividing line between suburban and city centre in location)

I dream of American-style houses and outdoor spaces!! :-)
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

My house down in Florida was just under 1,000 so understand size. The yard was very tiny as the lot itself was only 45 x 85 and with a very large 150 year old Live Oak in back. It shaded the entire back yard so no grass to mow. The front yard was so close to the street and sloped so I made it into a rose garden so again no grass.

Now I live in Iowa with a larger house and yard to play with. The back yard houses a 2nd 2-car garage, a garden plot between the two garages and a gravel area for parking. Since I wanted more gardening space I built raised beds in the gravel area as I was not going to try to remove all that gravel at my age. As it was I did move the gravel from around the back deck for a walkway which I was finally age to put in this past Fall.

This back yard gives me such pleasure during the Spring, Summer and Fall months with the veggies it produces and flowers. I'm already planning what to plant next Spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

My 2200 sq ft historical house in a farming community about 20 miles from Little Rock on the equivalent of 5 city lots which is a bit more than a half a block. There is a sign on the highway on the back part of my property that designates the path of the trail of tears. I have 5 pecan trees, two plum trees, an apple tree, oak trees and a magnolia and four crepe myrtle bushes in my yard. I am 80 yrs old, and I like to use my riding lawn mower but not the push or weed eater.

We loved living here while my husband was living but, now, I need to downsize but real estate is not moving in this area. Some new houses and very low priced houses are but not so much other My oldest son lives about 40 miles southwest of me and has found me a smaller house near him. Maybe, I will investigate that since it would be closer to my married granddaughter..... On the other hand, I have room for a LAQ setup...

I am on the family farm with 80 acres behind the 2-story brick front farm house. Only 2 other families on my mile, I am alone on this half of the mile. Am 7 miles from each of 3 small towns, city is about 40 minutes away.

After three decades inside the D.C. Beltway, we moved to the beach and have an acre of paradise about 4 miles from the surf. The back year has a gazebo, an arbor bench built by DH and a water feature (DH again.) Every day I wake up deliriously happy to be here.

Also have a studio apt in DC, just 550 square feet, but more than adequate for weekend theater jaunts to the big city. Couldn't stand to live in an apt. bldg. all the time. I have to have my hands in the dirt! Not sure what will happen as we get older. I'm 65 now and very healthy, so have some time before I have to think about it, I hope.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

When we built our house 26 years ago my DH wanted a large yard. We were lucky to find a new area that was selling one and a half home lots for each house. My back yard has five large live oak trees so I only have about a fourth of it with enough sunlight for my flower beds. It is a burden now that we have to hire a yard man to take care of it for us. We do like the idea of not having the neighbor houses right up to close to ours.

Blog Entries
    Crafty Pat, We once lived in Live Oak, but I forgot the name of the subdivision. DH was stationed at the nearby AF base (I forget the name of it); youngest son climbed the water tower and caused a bid of chaos, so a fence was put up around it.

Our place here in TN has been perfect for us for going-on 20 years now--a little over 11 acres, part of it straight up (to this LA gal, a mountain) forested and full of deer and turkeys. DH has to mow about 3 acres, but he has a Grasshopper, so not so bad. I don't do ANYTHING outside; he does it all. Our house is an old, remodeled farm house with 2 bedrooms (1 small, and 1 big), 1 bathroom that was converted from one of the smaller bedrooms, two foyers (one has my laundry built in like a closet, and the other has two closets added after we moved in because in old farm houses in the South, there are no closets); a BIG kitchen, and BIG living room, a dining room that is never eaten in--it is our trail from one section of the house to the other so houses our computer areas; and a big sunroom that we added about three years ago because we could not see out the back side of our house to enjoy our view. We are five miles from town (maybe 1000 folks population) with only four other families on our l-l/2 mile long road. We are set way back off the road, and cross a wood bridge to get to the house. My sewing room was built by the Amish and hauled in on the back of a roll-back 10 or 12 years ago, and DH's shop was site-built by a local barn-builder 5 or 6 years ago to house his old cars and hot tub. We have lived here the same number of years that the DH served in the AF; I've asked him a time or two if he is going to "retire at 20 again"--but I do hope not. I can't stand the thought of packing up all this mess and moving.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, crafty pat, I just remembered--Live Oak Village. And my four kids have very fond memories of living in Live Oak Village. And yes, I got a speeding ticket in Selma when we lived there.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    ** I have 1/2 acre in a small town.
    *** Getting to the age (68) when I think it might be too much for me to handle soon.
    *** Thinking of other possibilities.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

lynnie, I think you have a bigger condo apt patio than my apt patio. But I have lived her a little under a year + 1/2 and I have NOT had to turn on the heat. I guess I am lucky to have the hot water pipes run under my apt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I live in the middle of 96 acres of "Gods Country". Almost all hills and hollows with trees and the usual wild animals. My yard is a little over 2 acres with over a hundred trees that I dug and planted. (Must have had a brain fart) Marked them in the fall when leaves were at their best and dug in the spring to transplant. Almost all out of my woods. I'm getting to the age that it is a bit much for me but the kids don't want me to move. They do help me if I ask. I'm kind of stubborn so don't ask much. Just when there is heavy lifting. (lots of health issues and not supposed to lift much) Just flat out makes me mad as a hatter that I can't do the things I used to do. Don't like this getting old stuff!

We have 1.96 acre that has a 6 stall barn at the back of the property situated in a very small, old subdivision which is about 4-5 miles from town, grocery, shopping, hospitals, doctors, etc. The house is a remodeled old farm house built on a slab with 3 BR and 2 baths. It is animal, kids, and people friendly! We are so happy it is easy to get in an out of with no steps.
    Our neighbors are great; looking out for one another but kind of mind their own business. We have no home owner association rules like where we used to live. Everyone there all had to have the same type mail boxes painted the same color!!
    We're about 25 miles from Charleston, SC and 33 miles where we rarely go because we have lived here over 30 years and seen all the sights. Folly Beach (the edge of America) is 33 miles away. Visitors love for us to take them there when they come.
    My DH has a large garden since the horses are passed away and 30 chickens from which he gives the neighbors eggs, I love flowers and planted lots of them but back problems have prevented that lately. Have beautiful azaleas and camellias which require little care and 9 huge live oak trees with lots of leaves that DH mulches.
    We love it here and plan on staying...
    Last edited by quiltjoey; 12-15-2014 at 04:49 PM.

We have 80 acres, 7 miles out of town, the biggest town in the entire county, population roughly 2,800, population of entire county is roughly 9,500.

Our "house" isn't much, especially compared to our old home, 800 sq. ft versus 2200, but at least we don't have any close neighbors and town is minutes away, versus an hour at our old home. The closest "big" town is 100 miles away, the "big" city is either Redding, 150 miles or Reno 200 miles. We rarely go to either place.
    Last edited by pocoellie; 12-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.

2.46 acres about 3 miles from town. Moved here from the suburbs 3 years ago. We purchased my in-laws weekend getaway from them. Lots of family memories, our wedding reception was here and two of the next generation (including our son) were married here. For me it was a mistake, I like neighbors, it's too dark, wells and septic and power outages (especially when combined) are a pain and I shop at a particular grocery store (that I don't particularly like) because they have a stop light that lets me make a left across the highway. I did a forty mile one-way commute until I retired, all in inner suburb/city traffic. Hwy 116 is worse.

When I agreed to this I made it clear to my husband that I considered yard work his hobby, like my quilting... and not like housework which we share.

I'm sorry I made the move.
    Last edited by linkd; 12-15-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    it's so interesting hearing and seeing yards. pygmy goats. black walnuts and hottubs. and beaches. all sounds so lovely. Love the images you're painting for me.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Wayne and I are retired. We do not like to garden or do yard work. We bought a small lake front lot when we retired so we would need to do as little yard work as possible. We bought a 2,000 sq ft modular home/double wide and built like a 40 X 20 deck accross the back overlooking the water .... or it would be if Texas wasn't in such a drought condition. So, until we get some rain, the deck is overlooking a huge mud puddle. LOL
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Judith, congratulations.

it's always interesting to see and hear about how others live. we don't need any property due to the fact that the indoor outdoor pool and golf course and other amenities are all at the clubhouse 1 block away. we have it all here.
    even a café.library, game rooms, card rooms the list is endless.
    Happy to hear your so appreciative of all life has given you, I don't have to tell you to enjoy, because YOu are already doing that. Loved your comment
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I have throughly enjoyed reading this thread today and learning about everyone! It's like going on a road trip! Thanks everyone for sharing!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast