Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: how big is your yrd?

Blog Entries
    We've a very small lot, and our entire back yard is garden. My house is just under eight hundred square feet--one bedroom. I love our home, but I could use more sewing area!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

We have lived in the same house 43 years. We have a small ranch style home with a full finished basement. We live on 8 acres 10 miles from a college town with 35,000 students. We have 10,000 sq feet of lawn to mow (Any more it is about 9,995 feet too much) We are very involved with therapy horses for riders with disabilities. My husband hauls horses to and from the program twice a week from April to Oct. We have an adult daughter with a disability is why we got started with the program. She can't drive a car but boy can she ride her horse.

My hubby and I live in a small town (village) where the state hiway runs past the front of our house. Our two story frame, 3BR Victorian style home is a hundred years old with approx. 1800 total square feet; we own a quarter of a town block (three lots) so have a large yard, a three car garage in back and of course, a HUGE garden. I have a few perenniel flower gardens hither and there and fill in with annuals and several planters in the summer and a 14x20 pond. Used to have several various fruit trees and a strawberry bed but now just ONE apple tree (had to make room for the garage and pad!). I wish I could put my sewing machine away during some months of the year like someone else mentioned but it is a stress reliever for me. Been retired for 3 yrs now but still have a lot of catch-up work to do.

Blog Entries
    I have seven acres. About two and a half of them in woods.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    I live in the City! My back yard is forty feet wide by forty (if not less) long. This takes care of the garage area - There is a patio about six feet wide and 12 feet long under the kitchen window where I can sit in the morning for a cup of coffee or iron! I love hanging my wash outside and then ironing the stuff on the patio (of course, listening to an audiobook). Both north and south sides are garden area as is the west side, except for the 8x8 shed, which is really sweet!!! I'd like to make a sewing room out of it, but I'd either freeze in the winter or roast in the summer! I am cutting down the garden size next spring - It is just getting to be too much and will concentrate on perennials and vegetables. I love the back yard, but I am very partial to my deck out front. Our house is quite small, but it was big enough to raise a son and live here comfortably (744 square feet, four rooms, not counting the bathroom or porch). I love my home. Small enough to mess up in five minutes and large enough to take two hours to clean it up!!!! Know what I mean?????? Have a good day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    We've a very small lot, and our entire back yard is garden. My house is just under eight hundred square feet--one bedroom. I love our home, but I could use more sewing area!
    Sounds like my home! I just wrote about it and then backtracked a bit and there you were!!!!! We have Tiny Houses!!!!!!! (Ever see that show on TV?) Really neat show. They even had a quilter in a Tiny House of 250 sq. ft and it was unbelievable.

Enjoy your home as much as I enjoy mine. Big enough for two parakeets, one dog and me!!!! Edie

PS - Not to mention four sewing machines, stash, books and a quilting frame!!!!!!! I told my husband a few years back that he was really lucky to have me - because I could always dream about a long arm and know that there wasn't enough room to put it! Hence the plastic quilting frame, that I can take apart and put in a box and slide it under the bed.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Lynnie, I live in a small village on a private lane with 8 houses. No traffic and can look out my living room window on the community park. I am 9 miles from anywhere in any direction. I love it. I have a third of an acre, all fenced in. Just enough yard for me and my Great Dane. The small ranch was added onto some years before I bought it, so I have a large 2 car garage with my bedroom suite above it. I have my longarm in the living room and my sewing studio in the finished basement. I have the front yard as mostly perennial garden, part shade garden and part sun garden. I have wonderful neighbors who are also retired, so it is perfect. My kids all live within 10 minutes of me. DD has a 140 acre farm with a house built in 1790. George Washington peed on the trees on his march from Gettysburg to Valley Forge. LOL I love it out here in the sticks, used to live in a suburban development and hated it. I am a country girl at heart.

I have a little over 10 acres which I share with my 2 horses and dog. Sometimes I think it's too much for a single, getting older more quickly than she would like female to maintain but I can't imagine living any other way!! I love it!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

We live on a lot about 3/4 acre and did have a huge garden--50 x 50' for years. Now we have stopped altogether because of health reasons. I dearly love to garden, but can't do it any more. My DH planted a 30' row of okra and greens by the side of the house --only 18" wide and that fed us all the greens we wanted. That's the extent of his gardening now. Wish I had a room for a studio now, but house is too small for that so I make do. Can't create as much as I used to, either.

We live on 4.77 acres, 4 fenced with 1 horse (great granddaughter of "the Black Stallion" 2 goldens and lots of Rat Terriers and 1 Siamese cat. It is getting harder as we get older 82 and 68 but have two rentals and it is quiet and peaceful here and neighbors do not bother each other, just wave hi. We have a 1200 SF mobile in between other two but for now we are here and will stay here. Just 4 miles from Gulf of Mexico and 7 rivers.
    Not much room for quilting in here, too much stuff and pups.

We have 1/2 acre, too much for me, not enough for DH.

We are still in 2500 sq foot house where we raised the kids. Now too big for us, but we love the location. We talk about downsizing, but never get beyond the talking.

We live on my DH family's farm. We live on the side of the highway that only has 80 acres, we fenced in about 1/2 acre to call yard. During the Summer his brother puts cows by our house so they keep the pasture ate down. Across the highway from us is about 500 acres with his father on one end and his brother on the other end. I grew up on Air Force Bases and in town. I love it out here and wouldn't want it any other way.
    Sharyl

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I live in a condo. 1,000 sq ft of housing. just enough for the two of us and a cat. plus we have our fenced in patio about 150 sq ft. we have a front yard of about 300 sq ft. the sidewalk and then the common are across from us that is still woods. some people put nice gardens there. but we prefer the wooded are. be moving here. I lived down the block about a mile and had 2/3 acre. I watch some commercials and see a small ranch with hundreds of acre. so how big is your back yard?
    Growing up on a farm in Sullivan County New York, my back yard was 28 acres which included fields, a pond and woods. It was the best way to grow up!! After I was married and we had 2 children, our back yard was 3/4s of an acre. Now we live in a home that sits on about a quarter of an acre. The house is just around 1300 Sq Ft.
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I watch house hunters and am amazed what the dollar buys in different parts of the country.
    I'm always amazed at that, too, but probably for the opposite reason that you are. I'm extremely fortunate to live in an area where housing is very affordable. I see the prices of houses elsewhere and am amazed that people can afford them!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

We live in the country on 20 acres, 4 miles from town. Our Home is 5400 square feet shared with up to 12 elderly. My family space is 3 bedrooms 1 is a sewing room and a bathroom. Sometimes I long for privacy but truly enjoy the elderly and love caring for them. They love seeing my quilt projects. My goal is to have all homemade quilts on the beds, 5 are completed 7 to go.

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    We live on 180 acres in the middle of nowhere. We share that with our cattle, sheep, horses and chickens. Our house is appx 1500 sq ft. It's big enough that I have a sewing room and a guest room that doubles as my granddaughter's room when she is here. It's just the right size for my hubby and I and our 7 dogs.

I live in a small city and our lot is about 55 ft deep by 110ft long. Our house is three bedrooms. The back yard is small off a long patio area. We have some grass in the back and gravel landscaping in the front with several Junipers of different kind. The house is big enough for the two of us and two cats. One bedroom is my sewing and computer room and the other small bed room is a guest room with our eliptical machine in there. We put that machine on the patio when we get company.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3