Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't? >

How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't?

How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 PM

I used to be crazy about having a spotless house. Not anymore. The kitchen counter, appliances, baths are cleaned often, the bedroom sheets are changed once a week, the floors get vaccumed every other day or so, or so being the operative words, and I dust only if I want to......well I do take that feather duster swiffer thing around every so often.....
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM

I keep up with dishes, beds, laundry - I am lucky that I have a girl that comes in once a week and helps with dusting, vacuuming and mopping - leaves me more time for my passion (quilting).
Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM

I always notice the smell and clutter when I enter another person's house. I do a quick cleaning (90 seconds) of my bathroom and the guest bathroom every morning. My DH takes care of his. Neither one of us can stand clutter, so that's under control. I try to never leave a room in worse condition that I found it in. I have a general rule that if something takes 30 seconds or less I do it then; i.e., hang up a sweather rather than toss it on the back of a chair. We have a yellow lab and due to all the dog hair I sweep everyday and steam mop the living room and entry hall at a minimum. I try hard not to be a slave to housework because I'd much rather be quilting!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I try to do the Flylady thing, 15 minutes at a time. I can go that long without withdrawal symptoms from quilting.

just redd it up a bit, like my Grandma used to say. Which meant dust, pick up anything bigger than a shoe, kick the shoes under the bed, toss the dirty apron in the wash, put on a clean apron and act surprised and glad to see visitors.
If you have time before they arrive, boil a few whole cloves in a pan of water, or spray something that smells nice around the front room and front door. Baking an apple or pumpkin pie will always make guests forget anything else except pie and coffee.
Start a coffee pot, the old fashioned perking type makes the whole house smell good in the cold weather. Drip machines don't.
Ramona - Was your Grandma from PA? "Redd up" is an expression I heard a lot while growing up in Erie. I occassionally use it as an adult and usually get really strange looks!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Ramona - Was your Grandma from PA? "Redd up" is an expression I heard a lot while growing up in Erie. I occassionally use it as an adult and usually get really strange looks![/quote]
-------------------
Nope, Grandma was a West Virginia native, but she had firm ideas of what had to be done. Since houses then didn't have many, if any, closets, housewives had to be very inventive when storing things. Attics, basements, boxes and low chests at the foot of beds, and under the bed, hence long quilts to hide this, all were valued for getting rid of what wasn't needed on that day. Quilts were either in cedar lined boxes, or put on beds as decoration and folded neatly at night when it was too hot for them.
And I, too, get strange looks when I don't censor my speech. I still say that Oncet is less than twict, a bail is what you grab to carry a bucket, and cracklins are what are now called Pig Skins.
Still taste real good in sweet cornbread with sweet milk.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
As most of us acknowledge, being a quilter and being a spotless homemaker are oximoronous (new word.) So i'm just wondering what things stick out at you when you go to someone's house and think to yourself--"wow-she's a spotless housekeeper!" Are there one or two things that just jump out at you? I dust and vacuum, but what are the trademarks that you see---'cause I want to skip the rest of the drudgery and go directly to the spotless housekeeper title (even if is is fake!) :lol:
My mother taught us what cleaning the house entailed, but she always said "A house is not a home unless there are sox and newspapers on the floor." She also said "Never empty handed to the kitchen go". In other words, if you have something on the floor, or on a table, the world is not going to come to an end and it will let people know that a family lives and loves in that house, but if you see something that doesn't belong, take it to where it is! That's how we live around here and have for the past 50 years of marriage. Our home is clean! But it is LIVED in. Edie
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to look lived in.I do keep my sewing room very tidy.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 AM

I like my house clean, those who live with me, could care less. That said, I have a guest room always spotless that I look at when I'm overwhelmed. One super clean room makes me happy.

My ds is moving his furniture out on Sat. I can't wait- it starts my huge de-cluttering- every room is going to be super cleaned and de-cluttered. If they haven't taken it in 4 years of not living here- poof, it's gone!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 AM

I used to clean daily...then I discovered quilting! Now I am thinking of hiring a housekeeper! Not only do I quilt full time but Hubby and I own three other businesses that keep us crazy busy. Yeah, it really bothers me that my house is not as clean as it used to be but it always seems to be waiting for me when I get the time to take care of it. I think I'll give our local housekeeper a call today....
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 AM

Everyone thinks my house is "spotless" but I know where all the dust bunnies, cobwebs, etc are hiding (in plain sight!).

I think that a lack of clutter makes things look cleaner. I keep the house "picked up" and usually do a chore or two every day so that it stays in reasonable condition. Then there is the Spring/Fall REAL cleaning LOL