How cold ARE you???

Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Beautiful weather here, so I'm sharing a few pictures with you!

looking up the drive
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135849[/ATTACH]

horses in the snow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135850[/ATTACH]

beautiful tree
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135851[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-135844.jpe   attachment-135845.jpe   attachment-135846.jpe  
Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Its -6 C here tonight with a very cold wind. We've had snow, its thawed and have been promised more. Scotland, the North and Cornwall have had severe weather warnings and more cold air from Siberia is heading towards us. First time we've had snow in November since 1993.

Sadly, it is not a common occurance so we are never prepared. Seems strange to see snow when the leaves are still falling from the trees and I have tender fuschias that were still flowering.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM

It was 8 degrees when I got up! We just had our first snowfall of about 1-2 inches. I am ready for more! :-)
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Those pictures are beautiful. Were the sun shining when they were taken the beauty would have been more spectacular. The sun light, even light reflected by street lights, when caught by the ice chrystals makes one feel as if he/she were walking on beds of diamonds. I love walking during such conditions. The snow crunches under my feet, the air is so clean after having been "washed" by the snow flakes. Once there is an adequate base I love nothing better than to put my skiies on, and go tramping over the fields.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM

Sassy! Those are awesome pictures!!!!!! I knew Washington had gotten "hit", too.....This is one of those odd years here...everybody north of us is getting hit. Usually, we have it and no one else does!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM

I recall from my early school days being told in geography class that The British Isles were warmed by the Gulf Stream. This was a very difficult concept for a youngster to comprend. Seeing pictures in a book did little to enhance my perception of just how that body of water could warm up those islands!

My daughter attended the U. of Reading outside of London when she was an undergranduate in 1992. I went over in December after she had completed the term, and we took a trip up to Edinburough. There was snow up route # 4, but not much. It certainly was not very warm, but when I left Maine our temperature was below zero F. I had dressed accordingly, but during my visit to The British Isles, I was too warm! We met some vacationing tourists from Austrailia who told us tha they were not warm enough! It is, certainly, an interesting endeavor trying to perceive people's concepts of cold.

Here in Northern Maine we usually have snow during October. This year it was too warm, and rainy during that month. My son and I went down to Connecticut about 550 miles from home, to have Thanksgiving with another son, and could walk in shirt sleeves, Upon our arrival home there were six inches of freshly fallen snow in my quarter mile long drive way. I had to put the plow onto my car, and dig out the drive way. Now, the weather man promises rain begining,about mid-night tomorrow night. Oh, well, common place for New England. Heaven only knows what Ole Man Winter has in store for us after the new year.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM

A few years ago I visited my daughter who was in a fellowship program in Seattle. It was March, a very gloomy time, no snow, no sand on the roads, or salt residue on those roads, no pick-ups with plows on them!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM

My mother is from Northeast Iowa. She is 91 years old. She is here visiting us in Texas. She is freezing! She says she has never been so cold! It is in the 40s here.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 AM

Here "Downunder" in Australia it was 24 degrees today,

tomorrow is predicted 26 degrees we have had a LOT of rain so the undergrowth is very dense so we are in for a very high danger bush fire season as we enter into our summer months.

Last year in our state 173 people lost their lives in horrific fires very close to Melbourne so we hope history will not prevail this summer season.

Regards

Aussie Carol
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Which part of Texas do you llve in? My late husband was from East Texas where it is very humid, summer or winter Your mother probably is not accustomed to high humidity as, at any temperature, the moisture in the air will make it seem colder. Also, if you have moderate to high winds, that will make temperatures seem much colder.

When my family visited Texas in the winter we were dressed as "Hanucks of the NOrth"!, but we weren't cold.
In summer time, when we visited Texas, or any part of the south eastern U. S. the high temperatures, coupled with high humidity made us wilt.

Here is a tip to help alleviate the cold feelings: Wear dry clothing. If you have been outside, and doing any kind of physical activity, you will probably perspire. Change your clothes immediately as that will help to warm up.