How did you handle it?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM

I have lots of supplies for my different craft interests and have collections of other things that I like. I have told my niece and her husband that they will inherit everything and have fun. Seriously, I told them to keep what they and their kids like and sell the rest. (I have kept a list of what I paid for various items so they have an idea of its worth but still encourage them to sell what they don't like.) Meanwhile I am enjoying it all!

I like what lettawellman said in her postings: If our longevity is determined by all the things we want to do, then I will never die. I love this philosophy!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 PM

I try to not get into anything new. I still have my knitting, but the macrame has gone by the wayside. I'm back to tatting on a very limited basis, but don't like when our quilt group wants us to do things that are not quilt related. I'm trying, not too successfully, to get rid of STUFF. It takes a lot of my time and I'd rather do the quilting and let the kids get rid of that.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 PM

When my inlaws moved into the retirement home - actually first they moved into assisted living then after dad passed mom moved to the retirement side. Mom disposed of all her crochet things except hooks. Well after she was settled in the retirement home, she wanted particular patterns that she'd given to daughters and grand-daughters. Everything was picked through then excess disposed of so a lot of her patterns were gone. So be careful what you wish for.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:33 AM

I am 72 and like you have mucho stuff from different craft forays. My best friend just passed away and I promised to handle her collection. I know some of the places that she wants it to go. I have been thinking about my own stash and need to use the DNR rule of "catch and release." I have caught all of this stuff, much of which I will not be able to use unless I live to 167. So, I am going to work on releasing it to people who want and will use these supplies.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 AM

I don't have any intention of getting rid of my crafting/sewing/quilting/painting supplies while I can still use them, but I need to get them organized better. So they can be donated in an organized fashion when it's time for that.
I think grand daughters will want quite a bit of it, as they are more interested in these hobbies than their mothers are.