How did you handle it?

Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM

I know I have too much stuff - but fortunately I do have a granddaughter who likes to sew and craft. I have given her instructions on how to dispose of what she doesn't want. Right now I'm in the process of making denim quilts for Christmas (12 of them) - this is using up all the jeans I have saved thru the years, along with all the scraps of batting from various quilts and lots of fabric (about 40 yards from my stash). I also got some jean donations from friends so I wasn't a bad hoarder! I will work diligently for as long as I can to use up what I have. At least my kids won't have to figure out what to do with 150 pair of jeans and bags of batting scraps!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
​When I get rid of something I don't think I'll use or need, THAT'S WHEN I NEED IT!!!!! I just keep it separated from whatever I'm working on. LOL
This is me!!!! I hear people talk about purging and de-cluttering and remember doing it and then needing what I just tossed out and having to go buy it again which always annoys me. The last time we got to where we had too much stuff (between my husband and I we collect and have many interests) we just bought a bigger house lol
Old 05-08-2017, 04:11 PM

We have downsized,due to circumstances,3 times.DH never had a lot of hobby interests......so cutting back wasn't a problem for him.My cookbook collection went,making clothes for DDs went too.Computer & Ipad took over my reading.I still have one medium box for yarn & needles.Quilting took over every space we had.Interest is gone,so need to sell my machine & all that goes with it. Now & then I look at the stacks of fabric & wonder what was I thinking?

Neither DDs or Grdaughter have any interest in sewing-quilting ....so what is left when the bell tolls for me will probably end up at Goodwill.That's ok,I had lots of enjoyment from "my stuff".
Old 05-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Enjoy what you do, and don't listen for the horn! I quilt, do tons of crafts, read, and collect more things than I care to admit. I have "organized" storage boxes marked craft supplies. I love being able to make something in the spur of the moment. I thrive on organized chaos....could not live in a sterile "a place for everything, and everything in it's place" environment. I respect that others do...just not me!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:00 PM

I crochet, quilt, embroider, and oyher stuff, I try to put each catagory together, t use bins, shelves whatever, trying not to buy but use hat I have
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 PM

When I realized we had too many books, I decided to start purging by "tithing"--giving 10% of them away. I'd take 10 books off my shelf, find one I could part with, then put it in a donation box. At first this was REALLY hard for me because I grew up believing books were almost sacred (my mom being a major bookworm with 5 college degrees to her name). Six-eight months later, I did the same, except went for 20%. That was easier. Then I read the Konmarie method and she says "if it sparks joy, keep it." That was the only criterion. Does it spark joy? This works for books, crafts, clothes, linens, dishes, furniture, everything! It became easier to let go as I asked myself that question. It wasn't about $$, or memories, or space, or whatever. But the burden of keeping things because it meant something once upon a time, or someone I love gave it to me, or I might need it someday, or it's still in perfectly good condition...none of those were compelling enough. I am systematically decluttering my house this year and loving it!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:35 AM

I would keep doing the crafts you enjoy - that is a blessing that you have so many interests! If you are into quilting more, just keep your other crafts separated in a bin. I know how to hand embroider, crochet, knit, counted cross stitch, needlepoint, but know I'm more into quilting. I had a lot of DMC thread and gave it to my daughter. I had too much yarn and donated it. I'm hesitate to give away all the yarn as I'm still interested. So just keep enjoying yourself with all your crafts!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 AM

I will be 80 in September. I love to knit and quilt. I cook every day for a family of six. I just keep on doing what I have been doing for the past 60 years and will let my daughters deal with what is here when I am gone. I try to use materials that I have but seems like I always need something to finish the current project. Purchased a sit down machine two years ago and love quilting my own quilts with it. Working on my backlog of tops. Have a supportive husband. I always told him that my hobbies are the best therapy and cost a lot less than a doctor because I have something to show for the money when I am done. Have only a couple of projects to complate and my UFOs will be a thing of the past.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I am having a yard sale the end of the month to sell my quilting book library. Will charge $10.00 each. I have about 60 books. I just don't want to have the library sell them for 25 cents apiece.
Well good luck with that....just had a garage sale.....I must live in a quilt-sterile community as I could not sell the books for $1.00 ea...and ended up,donating a box full of books and a box of fabric to a church group next town over...but at least they will be used and appreciated.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=plainpat;7820280]Quilting took over every space we had.Interest is gone,so need to sell my machine & all that goes with it. Now & then I look at the stacks of fabric & wonder what was I thinking?

Is the lost interest in doing it alone or doing it at all? If the former maybe teaching a friend, church-group, 4H, or similar might rekindle your love of quilting. Just adding a social level to the hobby might help.

But, if the love is gone, looking at it can be depressing. Maybe a short hiatus where you box up as much as you can but don't get rid of it? As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. : )

I hope you can find the joy in it again or, if not, find a new passion - one is never too old for new ways to use creativity.