Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Fortunately the past doesn't matter, and her age isn't relevant. This fear is something that can be addressed at any age. No, it won't be as easy as buying a bottle of tranquilizers but the results will last much longer and be better for the dog.[/quote]

YOur comments did sound a little "hard" but I see you have lots of pets instead of children so I know you must know what you are telling us. It's obvious you love your pets . Sometimes, it hard for us to do the "tough love" thing with our pets. Just like with our children, so next time one of mine act up, I will try this method too. I was too easy wtih my kids too. LOL♥♥
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 PM

My Dog , Charlie comes and gets in my lap under my blanket, this way we can both get some sleep!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 PM

a neighbor of mine used to give her dog beer soaked bread to calm him down
Old 04-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Julie R, I like your advice. The dogs pay attention to the alpha figure and can change their behavior.

I am working on stopping our shih tzu from barking at the deer outside our home. The younger shih tzu is focused on treats and gets micro treats and lots of praise. He is coming along very nicely. Our babies had been exhausting themselves barking and the noise level was distressing for the so-called parental figures :)

My heart goes out to you, Craftybear!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM

I tried what Julie r said didn't work. I have homeopathic stuff Has camomile in it butgoing to get thundershirt
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM

I’ve tried singing to them but DH said this is animal abuse LOL!! :-P

I worked for a vet and this was a common concern of dog owners. He suggested getting thunder and lightning music – yes you can buy this. On a day it isn’t raining start it off very, very quietly and very gradually turn it up loud. He also said to behave ‘normal’ so your pet picks up on your calm vibes. I haven’t done this but many of his patients said it worked for them.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
Hi Crafty, This is EXACTLY the right advice!!! It's hard at first, & may be doesn't seem right but IT IS!! And if you asked anyone else that trains dogs, they'll tell you the same. Sandee
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by np3
CraftyBear, you might have the same problem with the 4th of July if you are anywhere near fireworks. My DD's dogs don't mind the storms too much (ours are mild here) but hate the fireworks.

I'd talk to the vet about the meds. No telling what she has experienced in the past. She isn't a puppy you are training.
Fortunately the past doesn't matter, and her age isn't relevant. This fear is something that can be addressed at any age. No, it won't be as easy as buying a bottle of tranquilizers but the results will last much longer and be better for the dog.

BTW it does matter because in a previous post, this is a rescue dog and is 5 yrs old and no telling how she was abused in the life before Craftybear rescued her. I think it is relevant. Just saying...these are the facts that weren't on this post.♥♥
Old 04-20-2011, 04:55 PM

what we do for our golden is to crate her....soon as she starts getting upset into the crate she goes. It works wonders! Instead of potentially keeping us up all night barking, whining and pacing she lays down and sleeps.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
Agree with most of this. One other thing to remember is to talk to her in a normal voice not a worrisome or "poor baby, your're afraid" voice. She needs to perceive you as being comfortable, unworried and not fearful.