Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM

My dog goes nuts during storms, our neighbor is a vet and gave us some meds for it, but he also recommended a product you can get OTC called Pet Calm. It's made by Richard's Organics. It's a dirivative of the same plant used to make valium. It works better than the pills we got from the vet.
It comes in liquid form, so we put a dropper full on a cookie, or in applesauce and he eats it up.
We buy the Pet Calm locally from a chain store called PetCo. The local PetSmart does not carry it.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear

Last night here in central Indiana we had some bad storms and my new shih tzu dog, Sophie, was scared to death and paced the family room floor. She is 5 years old and I just rescued her on April 11th.
I had tranquilizers from the vet at first, but don't like to do that too much. He suggested I try one of the herbal remedies. I currently have "Rescue Remedy". Works quite well for my Great Dane and Rottie. They are just a mess when they hear thunder (or feel the pressure change) 200 miles away. There is another one but I forget the name of it. You can get this through Drs Foster & Smith. They also have some chewable ones, but it takes too many for my big dogs. I also keep my walk-in closet door open and clear so they can go in there for refuge. They won't go down the basement stairs. I think giving them a lot of attention and reassurance during the storm just intensifies their fear, so I tend to ignore them but stay close by.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear

Last night here in central Indiana we had some bad storms and my new shih tzu dog, Sophie, was scared to death and paced the family room floor. She is 5 years old and I just rescued her on April 11th.
Oh, poor Sophie. I am not a dog owner (bird owner) but when my Mom was a child, her dog Terry was terrified of the thunder. My grandfather used to tell us stories about how he would put Terry in the car for a ride...at all times of day or night. I don't know that you want to do this, but it worked with Terry. Hopefully the many dog owners here will have good suggestions for you.

p.s. Same problem with fireworks.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM
np3
Power Poster

CraftyBear, you might have the same problem with the 4th of July if you are anywhere near fireworks. My DD's dogs don't mind the storms too much (ours are mild here) but hate the fireworks.

I'd talk to the vet about the meds. No telling what she has experienced in the past. She isn't a puppy you are training.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Our vet had us use Benedryl, and it did seem to help some. Our little Cairn was terrified of storms, even rain. SHe would always go under my bed, or if the door was open, she would head for the darkest corner on our basement.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 PM

I have a male Shih Tzu named Rufus and he is so afraid of thunder storms. I live in Ohio and I think we got the storms after they passed your way. I end up putting him in bed with us. It's the only way I can get him to calm down. Normally, our dogs do not sleep with us, but he curled up at my feet and he must feel safe, because he does calm down. We got some hail for a few minutes & that really made him nervous...thunder & loud hail...good grief. I have a female Shih Tzu and she could care less about storms.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by np3
CraftyBear, you might have the same problem with the 4th of July if you are anywhere near fireworks. My DD's dogs don't mind the storms too much (ours are mild here) but hate the fireworks.

I'd talk to the vet about the meds. No telling what she has experienced in the past. She isn't a puppy you are training.
Fortunately the past doesn't matter, and her age isn't relevant. This fear is something that can be addressed at any age. No, it won't be as easy as buying a bottle of tranquilizers but the results will last much longer and be better for the dog.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM

I have a female Shih Tzu (12 years old) and she has always been terrified of storms...we tried to pretend that it was no big deal in the beginning...but it does not help. She gets put into the bed with us and that will calm her down. That is the only time she gets into bed with us.

We tried 1/2 valium...but they did not help....so stop using them. She is should a big part of our family that it is hard to just let her cry and be so frantic over the noise.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by pamesue
I have a female Shih Tzu (12 years old) and she has always been terrified of storms...we tried to pretend that it was no big deal in the beginning...but it does not help. She gets put into the bed with us and that will calm her down. That is the only time she gets into bed with us.

We tried 1/2 valium...but they did not help....so stop using them. She is should a big part of our family that it is hard to just let her cry and be so frantic over the noise.
I know it's tough, I understand completely. Simply pretending the storm and her behavior aren't there is not enough - you have to take control of the situation, dog, storm and all. Your dog needs to feel deep in her bones that nothing bad can happen to her while you're around, and you're the only one who can make that happen. You have to be her leader ALL the time, and that bond will help see her through any stormy situation.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 PM

Craftybear...poor Sophie.... My mom's dog runs and hides in the bathroom and stays there. Then comes out when it's over. I don't think you can teach an old dog new tricks. ROFL. Dogs are like people...for example if you have a fear of spiders, there's no helping it. Phobias are just that....phobias. SO sad for her. Maybe give her hugs and play with her during the stressful times. Maybe when you get her bed fabric from me and make it, it will be her safe zone close to where you are. Feel safe by "mommy". HUGS♥♥