Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you feel about this? >

How do you feel about this?

How do you feel about this?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I understand completely working on projects well before the holiday. It's the ads that bug me. No sooner is one holiday coming than they are marketing the next one!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:40 AM

I think the ads come early because now is when they have the best product selection. Having worked in retail management for 20+ years, our seasons were always 6 months off. Our Christmas product was ordered in January, set to be delivered in June, and hit the shelves in July. It was a rat race! Sometimes we were marketing several "holidays" at one time. We routinely had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas product out on the shelves, and were scrambling to find room for the Valentine product knocking on our back door. Retired now, and getting holiday emails also, but understand why they do it!!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Very informative, AnnieDeb!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I haven't gotten many or at least I haven't looked at them. Stores seem to stock up on holiday stuff but, food staples run low. They have a lot of clearance after all the holidays are over. I don't see how they make money like that.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:22 PM

I agree with you, Susie, I too like to live the moment. But this year I am thinking of Christmas gifts already because last Christmas seemed to rushed for me and the budget was tight... It was a stressful holiday season but it all worked out. This year I am thinking of more homemade gifts for family. But I don't need any ads! If I want Christmas fabric or patterns I know how to get them, lol!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:12 PM
mim

I go to art shows and galleries when I am in Maine for the summer. I but art prints on note cards to use for Christmas cards. So I guess you could say I'm rushing the season. But I don't think holiday fabrics until a couple months before whatever holiday it is.

I like to enjoy the minute

Mim
Old 08-04-2018, 06:32 PM

Christmas in July has always annoyed me. Last week Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel played Christmas movies all week. How annoying. Its 100+ here. Hard to relate to snow.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:42 PM

I have never been a big fan of Christmas in July. I like celebrating the 4th of July and I like summer. We used to celebrate St. Swithun's Day (July 15th) and then enjoy the rest of summer until Labor Day when it was officially over for as far as we were concerned.
So I am not concerned about living in the moment as I have other things to do. I don't pay attention to the adds - just ignore them. But I am annoyed by the Hallmark Channel with their 100% of Christmas in July - I was glad when it ended and not looking forward to when they do it again.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:16 AM

It takes me a long time to complete anything, so the ads don't bother me. I look to them for ideas, and don't spend much time on them and do understand the marketing time frame.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:35 AM

In everything else, I resent the season being thrust upon me, but with fabric, etc., it is helpful because June-July is when I start working on holiday projects. I just finished 4 stockings for family members.