Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you feel about this? >

How do you feel about this?

How do you feel about this?

Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
My mother used to call it "pushing the season". I have not seen that many things about Christmas quilting, but one of the Hallmark channels had Christmas movies non-stop for about two weeks. Drove me up the wall. Takes the edge off of December.
The Hallmark channel with the Xmas movies--total agreement! Just ugh!!
Too much junk in the stores, junk made in China.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 AM

It bugs me, too. All the hype raises people's expectations of "happy" holidays and, if their lives aren't perfect, they become depressed. I try to ignore it all and live in the moment as you said. I'm glad to know there are others out there who feel the way I do.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 AM

I too have been getting lots of communication about Christmas fabric that is just perfect for some Christmas project. I just hit... Delete! I buy on my timetable not what a quilt shop wants to sell me. I know some folks are busy making Christmas gifts, but .... not yet for me.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 AM
mac

It bothers me, too, and it has bothered me for decades. My birthday is on Halloween and when I was growing up, you didn't have to start thinking about Halloween until the 1st of October and Thanksgiving until the day after Halloween. About a week later, the Thanksgiving things would start to come into the store. As time went on Halloween started getting pushed back further and further until now we start seeing Halloween things in practically July, Thanksgiving in August and Christmas in September... well you all know what I mean. It is like you don't get to celebrate the joy of a holiday by itself anymore. All the holidays are just jumbled together and I miss the isolation of each holiday. It makes it seem like we are rushing the year by.

As you grow older, and I know that a lot of you know what I mean, time seems to fly by faster. This may have been fun when we were kids, when you wanted to be the next year older earlier than your birthday, but as a person who is getting on in age, I really, really abhor this.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM

I am with you too Susie; I HATE that they push a holiday before the one coming up isn't even here yet. I notice they also do it in quilt magazines - when I used to get them. At one time I saw a really cute table runner with placemats - BUT NO fabric that they used was available. And I REALLY like the fabric they'd used. So that too is very frustrating to me. Another reason I don't subscribe to magazines any more; too expensive and there are SOOOOO many free ones out there - why bother!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I don't buy mags either since the advent of the internet
Old 08-06-2018, 11:06 AM

I'm with you Susie. I understand the need for merchants to push the products early, but I despise the ads in July that lump Christmas into their email "hook lines." "Time to start your holiday table runner!" Really? If I was the type to actually MAKE a new table runner every year for every season, I'd already have done it. The reason I have not, is that I don't want to making something with Christmas trees while my patriotic wreath just got hung up on July 1st,thank you very much.

It's not just us older folks who get tired of it in retail. My daughter worked at Michael's in high school. She started there in early June, and I remember she came home in mid-August and said, "I'm so sick of Christmas crap already!"
Old 08-06-2018, 04:11 PM

Even the calendars are arriving "way early".
Old 08-07-2018, 07:44 AM

The thing that ALWAYS bugged me was when all the catalogs that came out for December was the only place to find Christmas fabric, patterns, ideas. I think it must have been quilters and other crafters who finally turned the tide to get companies to promote Christmas stuff with plenty of time to actually make it.