Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you manage your time after you retire? >

How do you manage your time after you retire?

How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 AM

I have been heard to utter," I don't know where I ever found time to work" (and I didn't quilt or embroider back then.) I have come to realize that I may be busy but it's doing things I want to do.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 AM

I love being retired but somehow I don't get nearly as much done as I did working full time. Guess I was more organized then. I tend to procrastinate a lot.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 PM

I wondered about thaat too after working for 40 years. You will be surprised that after a while you will be involved in doing so many things, quilting one of them. When did you have time to work? marie
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 AM

I have been retired for 4 years and some of my suggestions are

:go for a walk 1st thing every morning and it gets you motivated for the rest of the day-
:enjoy your hobbies daily-
:have coffee/lunch with friends often

you will find yourself busier than you were when you had a "REAL" job
Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Don't over think it -------------just enjoy! You will soon wonder how you ever had time for work!! :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM

How about volunteering some of your time in an assisted living facility or independently living one and teach ones that are able to do something, simple quilt blocks, which they can then use when they have an open house sale.
Become a surrogate grandma in some school and read to the children, espewcially those that have reading problems. I have been retired for several years and am never bored. I find a lot of htingsw to do that can benefit others, have some down time for myself to quilt, read, relax, or just take a walk in our downtown area, sit and have a cujp of coffee and people watch, which doesn't cost anything to do.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 AM

I retired from stressful job 11/2003. I haven't found the time to sleep in or slow down yet. I do make a weekly schedule (and sometimes work the plan) only because I have so much to do. All of it is stuff I want to do, not stuff someone else tells me I 'should' do. Because I have a tendency to get 'too focused' on one thing - quilting, I took some classes at local jr. college to learn other stuff. I learned some things I want to do more of and do, and some things I now know I'm not interested in. Like the lady said earlier, Retirement is what U make of it. ENJOY.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Schedule. WHat is a schedule--ha. I was a teacher for 20 years, retired in 2005. I do what I want and when I want and if I don't want, then I don't do. Really great grammar for an English teacher.

May read all night and then sleep. I have CFIDS, so I don't sleep well. Slept from Monday noon, this week, after having tests at hosp. until Tuesday evening. Got up ate a little and went back to bed.

Don't put yourself on a guilt trip about sleeping or just doing whatever your little heart desires.

Would like to have been involved in volunteer work, but the CFIDS just didn't permit me to do this. Or teach at the college level, as there is a community college a few blocks from me. Have a wonderful retirement. You have earned it! 8-) :thumbup:
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 PM

You are going to LOVE it! Please don't spend another thought worrying. You will have peace and won't know where to start at first, so read a book, do something you love that you haven't had time for. It's the most beautiful period of your life and I wouldn't turn back the clock for anything!!!! When I ask my husband, "Can we........?", he always replies, "Yes, we can, because we have NO schedule!!" I fell in love with quilting a few years ago and love, love, love doing anything to do with it, like reading those wonderful magazines and trying new blocks and patterns, even if it takes ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day long :) :) :)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM

There are not enough hours in the day for all the things I would like to do. Some times I have to make a list of the most important things that need to be done. I also don't know how I had time to work. My husband travelled most of his working years so we are enjoying doing things together. We do things separately also so we are not completely dependent on each other. We have a fifth wheel and go to Florida for two or three months in the winter. Husband's sister and her hubby park their camper next to ours. We have a great time playing cards, riding bikes, walking, etc. I take my machine and material for I can sew. I am not one to just sit around and vegitate. If you don't have a hobby, find one. Volunteer. Sew for charitable organizations. The list is endless. Retirement is what you make it. The best thing I did was join two Red Hat groups and make friends. We moved from the midwest to the south. It can be difficult adjusting. Friends help with that.