Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you pay your bills?

I have set as many accounts up as possible for automatic payment - my husband and I are both ridiculously irresponsible about getting a check in the mail on time. It has saved us plenty in unnecessary late fees and headaches. Online is the most economical solution for us and we monitor our bank account regularly and get e-statements so we can stay abreast of costs and check for billing errors.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

The cause of the problems of the post office lies with the previous administration and congress.
    ranbro

Last!!!!! Lol
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    Pay bills online, but i host swaps here on the QB - my swaps get send out USPS- Flat rate envelopes..
    What'll you do for your swaps if USPS goes defunct?
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

i pay all my bills online,have for several years,Most banks have a section on thier online website set up for bill pay,you put in the name of the co. and acct number,it is very easy to do,Go to all the websites for your bills that you pay and switch to paperless billing,they will automatically send you an email when the bill is due and you can click on the link and see the whole statement just as if it was mailed to you.its awesome.less paper going to the landfills, less money for stamps.
    But its a Dry Heat!

Blog Entries
    I have most of mine on Equal Pay & charged to my credit card.
    Any others are paid automatically by Credit Card or drafted frm my Checking Act.
    So I only pay the Credit Card at the end of the month.

Makes it easy for me.

J J

I've been paying online for 10 years and like not having all those checks to save for the CPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    I stash away enough every month in a separate account the house insurance, car insurance and property taxes, so when those dates come around I have the money right there and ready to pay. I pay by check for everything. I want to know what I spend the money on and who I made the check out to. I do NOT pay online, I do NOT have the money electronically taken out of our checking account and the bill paid. I want my hands on the money. I want to know that I paid the bill and I want my checking account monthly statement in my hands to see that the check has been cancelled.

I want to be able to handle the money the way I want to - NO debit cards - just cash in my wallet that holds my checks! Have been doing it like this since my husband retired back in '93 and have had no problems and yes, I do get chided for it but this is what works for me and my husband and he doesn't complain. If it "ain't" broke, don't fix it!!!
    And it works for us!!!!!! Edie
    That's fine if you want to do it that way but you better get informed about other methods of payment as many places will start charging if you don't do things electronically. Our neighber has a bank that will charge $10 monthly if she doesn't receive her bank statement electronically. She wouldn't mind getting it that way but at the present time, she doesn't have a computer. She has one of the free email accounts and I told her to have it sent there and access it through the library's computers(or mine). I resisted using debit cards as I was afraid of forgetting to keep track of the transactions. Now when I do a debit transaction I put the debit card and receipt in where I keep my dollar bills and that reminds me to enter the transaction into my checkbook registration. Works for me. I use debit cards all the time now.
    The only bill payments I mail anymore are the water bills. There very few that are automatically withdrawn from my account as I like to do it myself. A little more work for me but I like having the control of when I pay. I don't miss all the work involved with mailing payments. I even receive most of my bills electronically now.
    Sally

Our bank has a bill-pay payment center. You enter the company name & address & each month you enter amount to be paid, then click pay bill. If the bill can be paid on line, they pay electronically; if it needs to be mailed our bank mails it. This is a free service, so that's how I pay all my bills

Blog Entries
    I always love these little windows into how other people do things!

Anybody who lives in a rural area will appreciate how important the local post office is to the community - as a gathering place, information center, and the source of a huge volume of items coming into the community. Our little post office is so busy I know I'm not the only person shopping on-line.

In Canada, the post office also provides e-post which is how I receive as many bills as possible. This allows me to pay them on-line and keeps the clutter down. While I love on-line payments, I'm still old-fashioned enough to not want anything to happen automatically so haven't set up the auto-withdrawals. It's so seldom that I write a cheque it always surprises me when the money comes out of my bank account and I have to view it to remember what the heck I paid by cheque. I've moved, changed my name, and my phone number since buying cheques so they're always scribbled up with changes and look a mess but I'm too cheap to buy new ones for the 2-per-year used.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I still pay most everything by check (we have some insurance payments that are direct withdrawals and we have had them for over 20 years). Our retirement payments are automatically deposited. I only use a debit card for Costco gas. I get a bank statement via mail, but I usually balance my checkbook twice a month online. I am really careful -- I only have one credit card we use online and it was hacked last week so I am very cautious (this is the third time this card has been hacked).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

My utilities are set up for automatic payment, any other bills I pay on line thru my bank. It is so much easier and quicker, it also saves postage. I use one credit card for almost everything and pay that on line every month.
    It is what it is ...deal with it.

Hubby has been paying all our bills on line using "Quicken". Seldom has one not been delivered on time. You can
    put it in ahead of time and it will be "mailed" on the correct day.

I pay almost all of our bills online - a couple of them are not able to accept on-line payments. I love it. Still use the p.o. for pkgs but I prefer printing out the postage and mailing from the house as often as possible. Cheaper and easier too.

I still write checks and mail them out. I do a lot of purchasing online, but do not feel comfortable paying the bills. Not sure why though. LOL

Blog Entries
    I pay it all on line. I also keep all of my statements on line. Each month I get an email telling me my bill is ready to view. I dont' have things going thru the mail for people to steal and I don't have to worry about the mail losing my payments. I can preschedule a payment to go along with my paycheck so that I don't have to worry about forgetting or if I'm on vacation. I like being able to check each bill to make sure all is well and to check my bank to make sure all as cleared. I also use debit instead of credit when I can; debit means it comes out of your account right then and credit can take a few days to clear. Paying it all online makes my life so much easier.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat56 View Post
    I still write checks and mail them out. I do a lot of purchasing online, but do not feel comfortable paying the bills. Not sure why though. LOL
    If you paid the bills online and didn't have to buy stamps, think how much more money you would have for fabric!!

Blog Entries
    Some I pay on their direct website, the ones that do not have sites I have the bank send out a check.

Online Bill Paying

I have been paying my bills online for years, as soon as it was available at my credit union. It is so much easier and since my credit union guarantees delivery I know they have been paid. I also do a lot of direct drafts for our mortgage payment, insurance, utilities, cable, etc. I have it set up in my Quicken program to automatically deduct the payment in my register on the day it is due so that when it is paid from my bank account it is also recorded in my register in my Quicken program. I also back up this information to a flash drive every few days.

I pay bills via bill pay at my local credit union. I have been doing this for 10 years. It is so easy. I foresee the post office fading away. Other companies can deliver packages more efficiently and quicker than them.

Totally online - utility bills on autopay, they take straight out of checking acct. I use paypal for most online purchases. Can also tell bank who, when and how much to pay and they do everything. Haven't had paper check book in years.
    Tomorrow I must stop procrastinating.

I have paid every bill possible online for many years and love the convenience. Only a few are automatic payments, and for the rest, when the bill arrives I go to the computer and set up the payment for the date I want and write on the bill when it's to be paid, how much and the confirmation number. It's ready to file immediately. Some arrive by email, and are handled similarly. I feel, if anything, more in control than I did when I was relying on mail service, and it saves gas, stamps and trees, not to mention my most precious commodity: time. I have managed our family finances since I got married 40 years ago, and would say that the Internet makes it ever so much easier than it used to be. I love being able to verify balances and payments whenever I feel like it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    DH pays the household bills. He makes the money so he needs to see where it goes and besides I don't want to do it. He pays all accounts six months at a time. We always have a credit on our cards, utilities and insurance. That makes it so easy. When the credit gets low he pay it up again. It actually saves us a lot of money paying bills this way and so much less headache every month. If something happens to one of us, no bill paying worries for a few months. A few years ago he bought a laptop, went to the bank and left knowing everything he needed to know how to do it and do it safely. We still have to have written checks though. My guild and his hunting club takes cash or checks only. LOL.
    Got fabric?

i pay all my bills online, this way i know they are paid and recieved, it is so nice to nothave to sit and write out checks or have to go to post office as often to buy stamps!

As long as a postal carrier comes to mail box, 50 cents is O.K. with us. We paid the bills the day they come in, and say a
    thank you prayer that we are fortunate enough to be able to. When we made 70 yrs & older and are able to stay in our
    own home, with fairly good health, we have a lot to be greatfull for. They tell me after we are 80 yrs or more, the postal
    service will bring the mail to the door. For us there is nothing like seeing the amount of money you have in the check book
    and know how much you can spend, at any given time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast