Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you read QB?

How do you read QB?

I'm curious how others read this board. I mostly start at the "What's New" tab and scroll down for interesting topics, using mouse to rollover headlines to see first line. Then I click if I'm interested. Sometimes I go in by topic, like Mission Organization, or Resources if I'm in the mood for something particular. Problem is if you don't go in often, you don't see interesting things that have been moved down the line by new posts. Sometimes I go to a later page of What's New and work backward to find conversations that are of interest. Now and then I go to my account to see threads I've started or commented on and see what others have said about the topic.
    How about you?
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I get the digest daily....so in the morning with my coffee I read thru that, each topic except vintage sewing machines...not of interest to me....then I will go to HOME, click on main and read any others of day that were not in digest.....cruise thru other topics to see if anything strikes me as interesting....maybe add a comment/question....then shut down and go on with my day.......

Hmmm, I still haven't figured out how to get the digest. Need to explore. I also haven't gotten the hang of "subscribing" to a thread. Thought I clicked the right thing, but not working.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I go to "What's New" also when I first look. I have heard mention of the Digest but have no idea how to get it. Can anyone give insight?

Blog Entries
    I just get into the Home page, read Main, then Pictures, then General Chit-Chat.

dd
    I mostly look at pictures. If it doesn't have a picture, most times I don't look. I only go to What's New and the ones that are emailed to me. That takes enough time.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    I'm curious how others read this board. I mostly start at the "What's New" tab and scroll down for interesting topics, using mouse to rollover headlines to see first line. Then I click if I'm interested. Sometimes I go in by topic, like Mission Organization, or Resources if I'm in the mood for something particular. Problem is if you don't go in often, you don't see interesting things that have been moved down the line by new posts. Sometimes I go to a later page of What's New and work backward to find conversations that are of interest. Now and then I go to my account to see threads I've started or commented on and see what others have said about the topic.
    How about you?
    I do the very same thing as you do. Some days I will explore a little bit more if I am looking for something in particular and use the search option at the top right corner

Blog Entries
    I click on "Archive" at the bottom of the page which brings up a forum list. Clicking on eg: "Main" will list all the posts in that category. The ones I haven't read are in blue. The ones I have read are brown. That way I can limit myself to one cup (large mug) of tea before I start my day!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I also go to What's New and look at the pics and if I have time I may go to the tute's. I didn't know they had a Digest probably looked right at it. Sue

Blog Entries
    I start on the "SETTINGS" at the top to read through the posts
    on threads that I follow/commented on.

Than I go to the "What's New" and look for topics I want to read
    more on, or see the pictures etc.

After that I go to MAIN and work my way down the list.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I click on "Archive" at the bottom of the page which brings up a forum list. Clicking on eg: "Main" will list all the posts in that category. The ones I haven't read are in blue. The ones I have read are brown. That way I can limit myself to one cup (large mug) of tea before I start my day!
    i do just what kitsie does, even the tea part
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm just kind of all over it. I check most recent posts and scan on rest to see if I'm interested and no particular rhythm or rhyme.

I do essentially the same as you...What's New; mouse over topic and move along appropriately. If I have more time during the course of the day/evening I'll delve a bit more deeply into other sections. For me, the 'what's new' tab hits the highlights and I don't get myself overly engrossed for days on end.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    How about you?
    Sometimes I go to What's New and go to a topic I am interested in. Other times I go to Main and scroll down. I also like to check out General Chit Chat and Recipes.

Blog Entries
    swaps
    pictures
    gcc
    whats new
    main
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have Main and Pictures bookmarked for quick access. I read those daily, and then read General Chit Chat maybe once a week, which I access from the home page.

I also use quick links to see if anything interesting has been added to posts where I've made comments, or to answer any questions someone may have in connection to one of my posts.
    Last edited by DebraK; 05-20-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I just get into the Home page, read Main, then Pictures, then General Chit-Chat.
    I do the same......but also look at what is being requested and what is for sale.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Main, Pictures, Introduce, General Chit Chat. I've never used the What's New, but that sounds like a good idea
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Lynn, go to Thread tools at the top right of the page

open and click on " subscribe to this thread"

open and click the Add button

Then go back to the home page.

to find the subscribed threads got to "quick links" at top of page and click subscribed threads.

Hope this helps
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Lynn, go to Thread tools at the top right of the page

open and click on " subscribe to this thread"

open and click the Add subcription button.

Then go back to the home page.

to find the subscribed threads go to "quick links" at top of page and click subscribed threads.

Hope this helps.
    peace

EDIT: You will find that as your list of subscribed threads grows the threads will move up or down the list as other people comment. You can also delete old ones when not useful anymore.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 05-20-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I scroll ALL the way to the very bottom of the opening page (or any page, really) and click on "Archive", just like Kitsie. I then open Chit-chat, Main, and Pictures on a daily basis, noting those topics that are blue and unread.
    About once a week I read the other topics like Tutorials or Recipes or Introductions.

This Archive area has every topic posted within minutes of it appearing on QB, so I'm assured of being kept up to date.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    That's exactly what I do.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I get the digest daily....so in the morning with my coffee I read thru that, each topic except vintage sewing machines...not of interest to me....then I will go to HOME, click on main and read any others of day that were not in digest.....cruise thru other topics to see if anything strikes me as interesting....maybe add a comment/question....then shut down and go on with my day.......
    This is how I do it too. For a while a few months ago I was not getting the daily digest e-mail and was disappointed. I went in through the regular website but there is something about opening up my e-mail in the morning and seeing it there like a friend checking in. I'm an early riser so appreciate that it's there early. It is a daily habit for me. I have learned so much.

Blog Entries
    I get the Daily Digest and start at the top and go through each one. Sometimes I don't read all the posts but most of the time I do. Then I just keep reading each section until I get through the Recipes. Love it!!!!
    TwandasMom

I click on archive at the bttom of the main page and work my way down all the topics. Anything I haven't read is in blue nice feature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast