Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with shoes these days?

What's up with shoes these days?

I've been looking for new shoes and finally found two pair that looked nice with slacks and fit comfortably. Is it me or has shoe sizes changed? I tried on a dozen pair before I found some that fit like shoes use to fit. I got Clarks and Born shoe brands. They fit the best of all the brands I tried. I use to love Naturalizer but they don't fit as comfortable as they use to. I must say I wished I had a pre teen girl to buy shoes for, the new shoes are so much fun now for that age.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Our feet change as we get older. Plus the Clarks and Born shoes, I believe, are made on an European last. (mold) They tend to me more foot friendly. JMHO.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    I used to love shoes. These days shoes have only gotten uglier and uglier and the one size fits all has taken the place of shoes that actually fit. I love to see the No Half Sizes so order up a size, and how about the width! You need shoes and the companies don't care. They have simplified the manufacturing to the bare bones of construction and we have to buy them.

I haven't found a pair of shoes to love for years. At work I am reduced to wearing walking/running shoes, AGHHHH!

Every spare second I have is spent barefoot, my favorite way to be.

Hope you find a brand to like.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I'm a huge fan of Born, but also really love Keen.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Walking/running shoes just don't look that great with slacks. I wear slacks instead of jeans because they are more comfortable for me and I feel I can go anywhere with a nice pair of slacks and decent top on a moment's notice.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I mostly wear casual shoes these days, like Free Spirit. But I got a couple pairs of nice Dansk(sp?) clogs that I wear with nice pants or dresses. Can you tell I only like slip-ons
    Lori

My toes like lots of room, so I look for Wide width when shoe shopping. I can wear a medium width, but prefer those harder to find Ws!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Shoes that are WW are especially tough for someone like me. And with all the hip and back problems I've had, I much prefer comfort which means New Balance walking shoes, which I order to get my required fit.

Blog Entries
    Being diabetic I am NEVER without something on my feet.

When at home I ALWAYS have my slippers on, they only
    change when I am leaving the house and depending on
    where I am going and the weather will depend on what shoes
    I put on.

But alas like many of you I have a hard time finding shoes
    that are comfortable and look nice.

My favorite pair of shoes is Sketcher's slip clogs but they tend
    to be harder to find now unless I go online and then they are
    still pretty pricey.

Dr. Scholl's used to have some really comfortable shoes but
    darn if I can find them now either.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I'm with UBE barefoot is the way to go!! Not too happy with the shoes today either.
    Age is mind over matter.......if you don't mind ........it doesn't matter! 😂
    Nancy

Power Poster
    Your feet continue to grow as you grow older. The bones spread and the fat cushioning on the bottom of your feet decrease...and don't talk to me about the foot swelling at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Your feet continue to grow as you grow older. The bones spread and the fat cushioning on the bottom of your feet decrease...and don't talk to me about the foot swelling at the end of the day.
    I really like good arch support too. That's where I find shoes kind of failing.

Blog Entries
    Used to be when I was teen-twenties a size 5 was the "sample" size so I was lucky to be able to buy them at a very reduced price! Try to find size 5 now! Have to get them on-line and pay extra for shipping, then if they don't fit well...Arghh! On my budget, I can't shop for $50 and up! I think with more healthy diets as babes, people are growing bigger all over!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Wish that were the case Tartan! I'm 72 now. How much longer before they grow?! I swear that like the rest of me they are shrinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I do know that when I lost weight my foot problems decreased tremendously and that in turn solved my back aches. Being overweight for me had lots of hidden ills.

Power Poster
    I've gained about a half size in length! My feet were always long and thin. I took a size 9 with a double A heel. If you thought a size 9 with a double A heel was hard to find, try looking for a 1/2 size! I usually settle for a sling back so I don't walk out of them. Of course, you have to be mighty special for me to get out my fancy shoes nowadays.

Agree with Tartan!! I have suffered the dreaded spread also! I worked in Retail management for almost 20 years and had to wear dress shoes all the time, and was on my feet for 10+ hours a day. Now that I'm in my 5th year of retirement I rarely wear dress shoes! In the house it's always "slides", and outside it's athletic shoes. I need a wide fit...found I have better luck with men's shoes!! Hope you find something that works for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
    I really like good arch support too. That's where I find shoes kind of failing.
    OMG, isn't THAT the truth!! I can't wear most shoes because they have no arch support, and you can forget sandals unless they're Keen's or Merrill's. I've seen so many cute shoes, and 99% of them have absolutely NO arch support. I just found some Sketcher GO!'s that are amazing. Arch support AND lots of cushion - they feel like slippers and are just cute as a button!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

At 70, I no longer feel the need to wear high heels; however, I do need a bit of a heel, about an inch and a half up to two and a half inches, otherwise I get a backache. Comes from wearing high heels every day for about 20 years And so many dressy shoes have no toe room, (called the box) no arch support either. I buy Clarke's when I find them on sale and wear them til they start looking badly. Cannot bear going bare foot.
    Karo

Blog Entries
    I still wear shoes and jeans from my jr.high school days-late 60's- they are both size 7's to get those sizes now they are way to big on my feet and I can almost get a second pair of pants out of new jeans in a #7.. There was a show on PBS about 2 yrs ago addressing this weirdness in sizing cloths and footwear. ''Due to the rise in obesity there is also a rise in low self esteem issues. So by putting a size 7 tag in apparel that should be tagged as a 14 helps to lower the numbers of low self esteem issues. I wonder how many millions of $$ the government granted for that study???

Isn't it ironic that Skechers used to be the "thing" for teens in the 80s-90s and now they are favorites of us baby boomers?!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

My family was paycheck to paycheck BUT, the one thing that was stressed was to buy good shoes! As children, we wore Stride Rites. Good shoes give you a lifetime of good foot health. I do not have any feet issues. I still fork out the $$$ for good, quality shoes. No "payless" for my feet! comfort and support is key.

Realize that shoes manufacturers are having them produced cheaply. Clarks used to be a bRand made in England....no more. And the quality is lacking now. I used to be a Clarks junky...no more. I am willing to pay more for the better quality but I expect better quality. Been buying Alegria, Sperry. Sketchers is my fav walking shoe. Love my Dansko Sofia sandals. (Not much incline)

my doctor told me not wear high heels anymore (i am in my 50's) . I had to laugh...have not bought "heels" in years! The older I get, the closer to the ground I want to be.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Growing up I discovered that British and Spanish shoes were the best fit for me. While in Nordstrom's shoe dept one day I mentioned to the dept manager how hard it was to find shoes that fit nowadays. He asked me about my background. I told him I was born in Scotland. He said that means you probably have northern European body structure (narrower with longer toes). Most shoes today are made in China or Brazil and are built to the average foot size of the larger world population (wider with shorter toes). I did discover a company in England, Hotter Shoes, that still makes their own shoes. I really like their leisure shoes. You can download a fitting chart to see which length and width fits you best. If you order shoes from them and they don't fit, they will take them back at no charge. They will send you catalogues and are on the internet.

Gee, I thought it was just me. I'm having the same trouble. I think the manufacturers have changed their sizes.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I have foot problems so I have to be really careful what I wear. I am wearing Clarks, Easy Spirit and Birkenstock. I am finding some cute colors and patterns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast