Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Do You Save the Growing List of Usernames and Passwords? >

How Do You Save the Growing List of Usernames and Passwords?

How Do You Save the Growing List of Usernames and Passwords?

Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM

I have post it notes stuck everywhere around my computer, some in a desk drawer, some in a cute basket, some under a pile of things I'm saving....
BUT, I believe everyone here just encouraged me to actually find a system & DO IT!! I have an empty recipe box I didn't know what to do with, soooo, I believe I will fill it with "recipes"... lol lol
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 AM

I make completely random pws for every site & keep track of them in a steno book.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:38 AM

I use Last Pass on all my computers. Awesome! Getting to old to remember all the passwords. This way all you have to remember is one password to sign into Last Pass. Now I don't have my banking info on there, don't know why I just didn't feel comfortable with that.

verna2197
Old 12-14-2013, 10:31 AM

I keep mine on a Word document on my desktop... It is labeled "Lesson Plans" which sounds so boring that nobody would ever bother to open it.....I also save it to "My computer" every so often so any changes are saved. I also do this at work (in a middle school) where I call it "old parent notes", also very boring to anybody.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I use a program called Last Pass.
I use lastpass too. I used to use roboform but they kept giving me grief every time I switched to a new computer.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
100% correct. A couple of things I would add:
Use a Password keeper program instead of password protected documents. The documents use a very simple type of encryption that's easily broken. The password keeper (Keepass is my current favorite, I've used Password Corral for years) programs can use up to a military grade encryption.

Don't use a website for storing your passwords. Websites are hacked all the time. They're by their very nature less secure than your computer because of exposure. I seriously think it's only a matter of time before a site storing people's passwords becomes a major target. 3 sites that I belonged to were hacked -this year- including the Apple developers website. This is getting worse not better.

If you think changing one password is a pain, what's it going to be like to change every one that you have, calling your bank, canceling all of your cards and changing your bank accounts?

I'm not even comfortable with the password keeper programs that will auto fill your passwords. I think there's a lot that can go wrong in the wrong hands here.

If you want to use a service like dashlane or whatever - make sure that they're storing information with a one way hash, and find out what their storage and encryption methods are. I'm sorry to say if you don't want to know what hashs and encryption are, you shouldn't be storing your information anywhere out of your hands.

If you really want to keep a written copy of passwords - get a book that looks like other books in your book case, and file it there, not on your computer desk. Better still if it can be a "decoy" that says something like "War and Peace" on it. That'll deter most thieves. Getting up to get the book is good for your heart anyway - This is called security through obscurity and it's not a "good" security measure, but it's better than nothing.

For passwords, I use the sentence thing as well, I also change "S" for $ and "I" for "1" or "!" so it's extra hard to crack.

Exercise a little common sense too. Some passwords are less important than others. The one you log into to reload your starbucks card and has your credit card information? (you iTunes account?) Pretty important. Use all the measures you can, and don't let your browser remember the password!!

Let's say you only use craftsy to view the free classes and you never have or intend to buy from them. They don't have your credit card information, and they don't have 3 pieces of personal information (this is usually all that's needed to perform identity theft) - your password is less important, don't use the same one use used for your starbucks/iTunes account.

Keep track of your passwords in some manner so that when a website contacts you to say the dreaded "We've been hacked" please change your password here and anywhere else you've used the same one - you know which sites you need to visit to change your password.

Experience - Computer Systems Admin for 16 years before I gave it up this year.
Thank$ - th1$ 1$ the be$t 1nfo I've $een on th1$ thread! I'm look1ng for the 'r1ght book as $oon a$ I f1n1$h typ1ng!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 PM

speaking of itunes, after hearing about accounts getting hacked often I only use itunes gift cards on it that I buy at a b&m store. Also, I will never again put my credit card info on walmart.com. Lots of people hacked there too.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM

I use an index card Rolex file but the constant changing of passwords is frustrating! I do them in pencil and erase old ones and add the new ones. This file is kept near the computer (out of sight) and probably not very secure. Thanks for the post and all the good answers.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Thank$ - th1$ 1$ the be$t 1nfo I've $een on th1$ thread! I'm look1ng for the 'r1ght book as $oon a$ I f1n1$h typ1ng!
L0L!! My Pl3@$ur3 4 $ur3!!

Originally Posted by gale View Post
speaking of itunes, after hearing about accounts getting hacked often I only use itunes gift cards on it that I buy at a b&m store. Also, I will never again put my credit card info on walmart.com. Lots of people hacked there too.
And if Walmart and Apple can't secure their sites from attackers, imagine the holes that exist for the smaller organizations...
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Besides "LastPass" there is "KeePass" and "1Password" to remember your passwords.