Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How far away is your fabric store? >

How far away is your fabric store?

How far away is your fabric store?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Much too close!! lol :D
mine too; but since they rarely have fabrics I like it's not a danger.
On-line fabric shopping is another story!
Someone just told us about Whittle Fabrics - good sale - just what I didn't need - another vendor.

http://www.whittlesfabrics.com
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM

We have a Craft Essentials about 1/2 mile from me. They have very nice fabric now. Other than that, no quilt store within 15 miles from Santa Barbara, most further. Its such a shame. I think the rent is so high here, stores just can't remain open.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM

I live about 3 miles from what from the road looks like a rundown store from the 50's. They never advertise and there is NOTHING that appeals to you from the outside to go in and check it out! It is locally owned, and is a combination appliance, pharmacy, dime-store, crafting and quilt store, all under one roof! They sell old time candy and there is a saying in our town, 'if you can't find it at A&E, it probably can't be found!' If they don't have what you want, they will gladly order it. The weather can be horrible, but their parking lot is always full, plus, you can park right outside the store and walk in. I call it my "Little House on the Prairie Store:-)"

After our local quilt shop closed about five years ago, this shop began expanding to meet the needs of quilters. It now has long arm, offers classes, carries a large amount of fabric from many quilting manufacturers along with many quilting rulers, templates and other supplies. I LOVE to go there! It is on my route to go to the post office and grocery store, and it draws me like a magnet. It reminds me of another era, before computers, when things ran more slowly; you can't be in a hurry when you go, because everything takes time:-)

When I walk in, everyone knows my name. "Are you feeling better since your surgery?" etc. The ladies in the fabric section are wonderful and always ready to lend a hand. Rarely do I go there that I don't meet my friends from the guild or other sewing/quilting groups of which I am a member. They discount all their fabric and notions, rulers etc. 10%, and if you belong to the quilt guild, they give a 15% discount. They also honor JoAnn's coupons. I feel so blessed to have such a treasure within just a few miles of my house. It gives the same feeling as an old country store. I once stopped there quite discouraged having left my cane (I used one after foot surgery), in a shopping cart at a grocery store. When I went back to find it, it wasn't there and no one had turned it in. So I stopped by A&E as it always give me a lift. Sure enough, there was one of my quilty friends who asked how I was doing. I shared my experience of losing my cane. She said, "Can you wait here just a minute?" She came back with a cane in hand that she had in her car since her surgery the year before. She said, "I don't know why I've never taken it out, but I don't need it and you do!" I wish I could share this little shop with all my friends on this board because it is truly a one of a kind! Sorry, it is not on-line; like I said, it is set back in time:-)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM

There's a great store four miles from our house *if* you are looking for fabric. If you are looking for lots of samples, friendly service, or helpful advice,...probably you need to keep driving....
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Just about 4 miles.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by missionslady
I live about 3 miles from what from the road looks like a rundown store from the 50's. They never advertise and there is NOTHING that appeals to you from the outside to go in and check it out! It is locally owned, and is a combination appliance, pharmacy, dime-store, crafting and quilt store, all under one roof! They sell old time candy and there is a saying in our town, 'if you can't find it at A&E, it probably can't be found!' If they don't have what you want, they will gladly order it. The weather can be horrible, but their parking lot is always full, plus, you can park right outside the store and walk in. I call it my "Little House on the Prairie Store:-)"

After our local quilt shop closed about five years ago, this shop began expanding to meet the needs of quilters. It now has long arm, offers classes, carries a large amount of fabric from many quilting manufacturers along with many quilting rulers, templates and other supplies. I LOVE to go there! It is on my route to go to the post office and grocery store, and it draws me like a magnet. It reminds me of another era, before computers, when things ran more slowly; you can't be in a hurry when you go, because everything takes time:-)

When I walk in, everyone knows my name. "Are you feeling better since your surgery?" etc. The ladies in the fabric section are wonderful and always ready to lend a hand. Rarely do I go there that I don't meet my friends from the guild or other sewing/quilting groups of which I am a member. They discount all their fabric and notions, rulers etc. 10%, and if you belong to the quilt guild, they give a 15% discount. They also honor JoAnn's coupons. I feel so blessed to have such a treasure within just a few miles of my house. It gives the same feeling as an old country store. I once stopped there quite discouraged having left my cane (I used one after foot surgery), in a shopping cart at a grocery store. When I went back to find it, it wasn't there and no one had turned it in. So I stopped by A&E as it always give me a lift. Sure enough, there was one of my quilty friends who asked how I was doing. I shared my experience of losing my cane. She said, "Can you wait here just a minute?" She came back with a cane in hand that she had in her car since her surgery the year before. She said, "I don't know why I've never taken it out, but I don't need it and you do!" I wish I could share this little shop with all my friends on this board because it is truly a one of a kind! Sorry, it is not on-line; like I said, it is set back in time:-)
Added: I got so carried away sharing about my local quilt shop/country store that I failed to mention I am with 5 miles of two WalMarts, both of which sell fabric. I'm about 8 miles from Martelli's, the company that created the wonderful ergo rotary cutter and other quilting supplies. They offer classes, sell sewing machines, long arms, and do sewing machine repairs in addition to selling fabric and quilting supplies. I'm about 12 miles from JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. I feel very blessed to have so many wonderful stores in which to buy fabric and supplies.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 AM

I put 80 miles on my car last Sunday to get fabric for a baby quilt. Lots of driving but my mom and I had fun!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 AM

1 LQS is 2blk away, another is about 5 mins, JoAnn's is 20 mins and so is a Hancock's. Have a several small QS about 10-15 mins in either direction. Here is this small town where I live we are blessed way to good. Get into all kinds of trouble.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM

My closest fabric stores are thirty miles one way. Ranch-living is wonderful, but it causes one to have to PLAN trips to buy fabric!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Too close! I think about 7 miles or so.