Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to handle selling fabric to quilting board member

I've never done this before and thought it would be easy but member lives in UK. I expected a US buyer and a check or money order would be payment. She suggested Pay Pal or a bank transfer. I don't have Pay Pal and don't know how it works to receive payment. Took a look at Pay Pal site and it was a little confusing to me. I assume there are fees involved but who pays them? Would I have to give her my bank account info for a bank transfer? She is also a brand new member here. Any advice about how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Had to empty my stash closet because of remodeling being done and found several other items I would like to sell so I'm interested in knowing how others have made out selling quilting stuff through the message board.

The best way for her to pay you would be Paypal there is a very small fee for the seller so add a little to the cost of your item to cover this you just need your email address to get a paypal account the buyer will pay and the money goes into your paypal account no bank numbers are given out and then you can transfer the money to your bank account.I use it all of the time to send and recieve money from and to family in Aus.

If you use personal, you shouldn't have any fees associated with it. The other thing you can use is refund. I've purchased things to send to Australia and had her use refund. No fees associated with that also.

I agree. Paypal is best.

yes use paypal and NEVER EVER give anybody your bank info!

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    Another good thing about Paypal is that your customers can use a credit card without worrying about you seeing their account numbers. It really is the fastest way to handle transactions, and you will be surprised how quickly you can set it up.

even with a personal account, if it is payment for "Goods" I believe there is a fee. (3%)

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    even with a personal account, if it is payment for "Goods" I believe there is a fee. (3%)
    I think so, too. But it's so minimal compared with the hassle of any other method, it's worth it to me!

Looks as if Pay Pal is the way to go. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    Oh, I never do give out bank info.

Blog Entries
    PayPal does charge the seller a small amount

BTW, everytime you pay someone with a check, they have ALL your bank info. And your name, address and phone # too, possibly.

Paypal charges 3.9%, plus $.30 for a Cross Border Transaction fee.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    Just an FYI-

While I agree you shouldn't give it out without caution, just be aware that it is a very, very common practice in other parts of the world.

So if someone from the UK asks for it, it's not necessarily because of any nefarious intentions. They might be as unaware of the rarity of it here in the US as most Americans are of its ubiquitous use overseas.

And unaware of the additional fees that might be involved here.

So, yeah, PayPal is the way to go.

Just take your time and you both can sign up for paypal. If I could do it, anyone can (I'm a computer dummie.)
    And for your other question about selling here -- I've been doing detash sales and have done very good. My DD was impressed by the extra space in my sewing room, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    If you use personal, you shouldn't have any fees associated with it. The other thing you can use is refund. I've purchased things to send to Australia and had her use refund. No fees associated with that also.
    neither of those is allowed here.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    neither of those is allowed here.

I don't know anything about paypal so I really am just asking for clairification and not to be annoying.

Why are neither of these allowed here? refund or personal?

Blog Entries
    If you don't use the purchase option, but chose personal or refund you lose any protection that PP provides, plus it's not honest to use the refund option unless it is.

PayPal is best. There is NOT a fee to the buyer or seller if you do the following. Give the person your personal email that you use with PayPal. Tell them to go to the site and click on the PERSONAL tab NOT the SERVICE tab. Then make sure that 'gift' is selected. If they go thru the service tab, you will be charged 5% of the cost paid. Out of $100 that comes to $5.00. At any time you can transfer funds in your account into your bank account. Cheyl

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clynns
    PayPal is best. There is NOT a fee to the buyer or seller if you do the following. Give the person your personal email that you use with PayPal. Tell them to go to the site and click on the PERSONAL tab NOT the SERVICE tab. Then make sure that 'gift' is selected. If they go thru the service tab, you will be charged 5% of the cost paid.
    So you think PayPal should provide the service for free to sellers?
    Do you do that even when you're the buyer? Because should anything go wrong with the transaction, you're up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Unless something changed in last couple days, the "fee" Paypal charges is 2.9%, plus $.30 transaction fee for purchases within the U.S. I don't know how you got the 5%. Maybe you are thinking of E-bay fees, which I know nothing about. As others have stated, you have no Paypal protection when you choose the "Gift" option.

PayPal is best. There is NOT a fee to the buyer or seller if you do the following. Give the person your personal email that you use with PayPal. Tell them to go to the site and click on the PERSONAL tab NOT the SERVICE tab. Then make sure that 'gift' is selected. If they go thru the service tab, you will be charged 5% of the cost paid. Out of $100 that comes to $5.00. At any time you can transfer funds in your account into your bank account. Cheyl

Blog Entries
    Paypal is so useful to have and more and more companies are now offering it as an option for credit card payments. I like it because you don't have to give out credit card numbers on line. it is easy to set up. Don;t be intimidated.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    Paypal is so useful to have and more and more companies are now offering it as an option for credit card payments. I like it because you don't have to give out credit card numbers on line. it is easy to set up. Don;t be intimidated.
    And, if you have the credit card set up in PayPal as your funding source, you are still able to get miles/points for all the monies spent (if your cc is set up that way).

'Cause I don't buy a quart of milk or a FQ if I'm not getting miles for it. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    And, if you have the credit card set up in PayPal as your funding source, you are still able to get miles/points for all the monies spent (if your cc is set up that way).

'Cause I don't buy a quart of milk or a FQ if I'm not getting miles for it. :mrgreen:
    right on - with me it's Hilton Honors points!!

Blog Entries
    to repeat ... members who sell here in our thrift shop/classifieds are NOT allowed to do this.

the seller is required to accept payment using the "goods" option and to pay all associated fees.

Gal in UK who is purchasing my Harry Potter fabrics already has Pay Pal and will pay me that way, first I need to sign up for Pay Pal and then we're set to go.

Question: How does Pay Pal notify me when payment is received? I'll need to know that before I mail her package. May in Jersey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast