Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How hard is it to...

How hard is it to...

Make a skirt? I got some fabric to use as a border for a quilt and I just love it! I want to order more for a skirt, but I've never made clothing before. Has anyone tried clothing? I'm looking at a fairly simple pattern (I think), but I'm not sure what to expect. I did make my own curtains, and they turned out better than expected...

Here is the pattern I'm thinking of buying:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/kp-3794/k...skirts-pattern

Here is a pic of my quilt top with the border fabric that I want to use in the skirt. Wouldn't that be adorable???

Name:  img_4419.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  189.7 KB
    Jenny B

My first sewing project was a skirt and that was 54 years ago! You will do fine with that pattern. I didn't have one. my mom had me measure my waist, multiply it by how much fullness I wanted and then gather it all and attach it to a waist band. Just take your time, measure twice and press your seams. Have fun!!
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

That's an easy skirt to make. Doing it the way garysgal's mom did it, still works in this day and age.

Blog Entries
    Easy Peasy IF you can follow directions on the pattern. I think that they use a 5/8 inch seam allowance which will be quite different. AND, you have to figure out some way to finish the raw edges/seams in the skirt so that they will not ravel when it is washed. Sewing a skirt and getting a skirt to fit are two different things. Looks like that pattern has a waistband - one with just gathers and elastic would be easier. Also, doesn't Jo-Ann heavily discount their patterns at times???
    Nikki in MO

Pattern is cute! and fairly easy. Just follow the instructions and remember that the seam allowance is 5/8" not 1/4'". However putting in a zipper can be tricky so I would ask a friend to help Also I would check your local Joann fabric for a pattern. Most of the time there is pattern line on sale for $1.99 (regular price is usually $12 +. You should be able to find similar pattern there.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Unfortunately, we don't have a joann here, but maybe I could hit up the garment district and see if I can find patterns there. Or, I might try garysgal's suggestion with muslin and see how it goes. I have hemmed pants (I'm in between petite and regular lengths), and that went okay, so finishing the raw edges should be alright. Is there something I should use to make the waistband stiffer (as in a men's shirt collar)? Or just multiple layers of fabric? Thankfully, my mom is visiting so she can help with the zipper I think.
    Jenny B

dd
    I was thinking like garysgal, you really don't need a pattern for a skirt that simple. Momma used to put a couple snaps in the opening instead of a zipper. Makes the skirt a little softer and you don't have to worry about inserting a zipper.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

It looks fairly simple. According to the pattern description there is no zipper, it's flat in the front and has elastic in the back. You can do french seams on the sides for a more finished look! Good luck and be sure to show us how it comes out!
    Sue

Sewing a skirt can be very simple, even with a waistband and zipper. You don't have to finish your raw edges, just use pinking shears when cutting out the fabric pieces. If you have never done a zipper before, I would buy a real cheap/clearance zipper and practice putting one in on scrap fabric (just cut pieces big enough for zipper). You might save yourself a headache later. I've put in so many that I don't even pin anymore....LOL. A waistband is pretty easy too if you follow the directions. I would buy a pattern that has several sizes as some patterns run smaller than the sizes of ready to wear clothing. Good Luck!

You should do find with that pattern. I tend to use my cotton fabrics for clothing such as blouses, tops and pants/skirts if I like it that much. Since you can ease the waist using the elastic and asl ong as you use the correct size to fit your waist/hips you should have no problems at all. I tend to copy all my clothing patterns onto PatternEase so I keep the original pattern intact in case my size changes with age. Plus I can make any alterations on the PatternEase too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Yes, it WOULD be adorable!! Loved that fabric in your pic post about the quilt. I made two skirts like garysgal's even longer ago and wish I'd kept them for the fabric! Love butterflies!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Google free skirt patterns. Lots out there! Similar to the pattern you're interested in.

Yes, you will be able to do this. I always put interfacing in my waste bands, iron on after it was invented. Nothing to it. And you can always ask us here if you get stuck. Lots of us have been making clothes for years...

Dina

check this out-http://www.allfreesewing.com/task/search/search_term/skirt/?gclid=COHTk7mlv8UCFZJffgod05YAvQ
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Of course free patterns. I do that for quilting all the time. Silly me!!! Thank you all!
    Jenny B

Jenny, With your sewing skills (your quilting is great), you will do fine. The BIG thing with garment sewing is if you ever want to be able to wash your garment, you MUST FIRST wash and dry your fabric. If you don't and you're going to end up with something that you love at first, but hate after you wash it. Most patterns use 1/2" seams allowances, unlike quilting. Because I sew garments too, I have a note on my machine to check my seam allowance size before I get going. This has saved me more than once. Please show us your finished skirt. Good luck

Walmart carries the Kwik Sew patterns. They're usually 40% off retail.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
    My first sewing project was a skirt and that was 54 years ago! You will do fine with that pattern. I didn't have one. my mom had me measure my waist, multiply it by how much fullness I wanted and then gather it all and attach it to a waist band. Just take your time, measure twice and press your seams. Have fun!!
    My first sewing project also, in home ec, probably about the same time and also with no pattern.

Hey, garment sewing is easy too. I sewed garments for a long time before quilting. You'll do fine. Doo just as these other ladies have suggested. Don't worry about putting interfacing in the waist band. Your pattern will have instructions. If you get stuck look on youtube. You can find how to do anything there. Be sure to post pictures and enjoy!

Cute pattern and LOVE your fabric.
    You should do just fine with that pattern. They make the instructions fairly simple
    to make it quick to sew. Have fun and please post your finished skirt.
    You know how we all love pictures!
    Dona

I thought I saw a spider,
    But it was just a Piece of yarn.
    It's dead yarn now.

Here's a link with lots of free patterns and tutorials.
    If you need help send me a PM.
    I sew custom made clothing and do alterations I'm sure I could answer any questions you may have.

http://www.allfreesewing.com/?task=s...gathered+skirt
    "The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest."

Good luck. I haven't made clothes for many years. Patterns are easier since you know the basics of measuring and sewing.
    If you follow the pattern you shouldn't have any problems.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.