Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you? >

How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

My aunt used to make coffee "that a spoon could stand up in" - but apparently older age has caught up with her - she's 93 now - and now she has cut back and makes it "normal strength" and is down to one or two cups a day of coffee.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 PM

I don't "need" coffee, but enjoy a couple of cups every day. DH and I have brunch about 10:00, and enjoy our coffee on the porch, patio, or living room, depending on the weather. Dinner is about 7, and once in awhile we do evening coffee, but not too often.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM

I have a 4 cup coffee maker, since I am the only one who drinks coffee in the house. My coffee mug is a Stanley travel mug which holds about 20 ounces. I have one of those every morning and no more.
My favorite coffee is Kivu Kona blend ground coffee, it is a light roast.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:56 AM

I love a cup of coffee in the morning. Now that I work a rotating shift, sometimes it feels necessary to get the caffeine in at the beginning of my shift. On my days off, I still usually make a cup.

Before, I would make a single cup using a single cup brewer (that had a decent sized metal filter, so really easy to clean grounds out of). After our last trip to Europe, my son asked if we could get an espresso machine. Knowing I wouldn't use a cheap one (been there, hated that), I went big and got a nice machine with its own grinder and auto shut off so I could get just the right amount of grounds. Then, my older brother got me interested in roasting my own beans! I don't always roast my own (instead, I'll buy some in bulk from Costco), but it's extra nice when I do (I also cut the amount of sugar in half when I use my own beans). Now my daily cup of coffee is a latte in a big Toy Story soup bowl mug (with a handle). For work, I use a Stanley travel mug. I don't drink, so I consider it my own form of liquid indulgence...

I still use a French press or pour-over filter at times, and I keep a couple k-cups at work in case I forget my coffee at home, but I love the espresso machine and pretty much use it daily.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:55 AM

I keep a bottle of refrigerated Starbucks in the frig so I can have coffee anytime I want it. Like Now!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-12-2017 at 06:24 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 AM

I do enjoy not one but two cups of coffee each morning...after that, I don’t drink anymore during the day. I am usually up at least an hour each morning before my husband (I am an early riser) so it’s my quiet time before the television goes on and any lights. I catch up on the QB and other emails while I sip a cup of joe. I am a coffee snob and grind my own beans too. LOL
Old 12-11-2017, 03:53 AM

Fun topic. I like coffee with half and half and sugar. I make mine half regular and half decaf and drink four cups. I kid myself that that is just two cups with caffiene I do like it a lot. I make mine quite mild. Since day one (51 years ago) my husband and I have never agreed about the coffee strength. He has a large jar of instant that he adds to his cups of coffee. I can't stand his because he likes the spoon to stand up in his. I only drink coffee in the morning and other things later in the day-like water. I never drink soda or juice. I do like tea sometimes. But, yes, the first activities of the morning are to feed the dog (she dances for her food) and make the coffee.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 AM

I love my coffee in the mornings. When my children were school age I always got up early enough to drink at least one cup before I woke anyone up, Now I live alone since my husband passed away and I still love my coffee.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:49 AM

Coffee is the reason I get out of bed in the morning...

i often crawl into bed and say, "I can't wait to get up and drink coffee..."

any questions?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:32 AM

Even when I was in the hospital after a head trauma, I needed my first up of the day :-). My OT person would bring it into me as soon as she came on duty. It kept me calm for the rest of the day, believe it or not.