Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to make fitted sheet for dog bed >

How to make fitted sheet for dog bed

How to make fitted sheet for dog bed

Old 03-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Question How to make fitted sheet for dog bed

Hey all,

I am wondering how to make a fitted sheet for a dogbed. I have made fitted sheets for a crib mattress before (which is what my dogwas sleeping on before, but now he has a real dog bed). This bed has a bolsterone side of it so I am not sure how to make a fitted sheet for it that wouldfit properly that would be fairly easy to make. The bed is 48” X 30” and adepth of 7 inches except for the bolster side, which has a depth of 10-11inches. I would like to have at least 3 inches of fabric underneath the bedwith French seams. If anyone could help with measurement and how to put thisthing together I would greatly appreciate it.
If it helps, this is what the bed looks like.
https://bullybeds.com/products/bully...ant=3736926785

Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Flip the bed on its side and trace the outline of the side profile with the bump for the bolster. Add a half inch seam allowance on the top and sides and about 3 inches on the bottom. Cut 2 of these, and make sure that you make them mirror images. Measure the width of the bed and cut a section of fabric that wide plus 1" for seam allowance. use a fabric tape measure to get the length you need, add 6". Sew the sides to the top using a 1/2" seam allowance, then make a casing on the bottom, adding a draw string or really strong elastic.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM

I agree with all that Paper Princess says, except I'd be likely to make it like a fitted cover, making a bottom and putting a zipper along one side. It's hard to get a sheet, even a fitted sheet to stay on with a dog moving around on the bed.....if you put the zipper at the bottom, you could fit it over the bolster, and down the length, stuff the bottom in and zip closed...
Old 03-04-2017, 05:54 AM

I would take off the cover (description says removable) copy that for a pattern and make several. That way the dog will not be able to bunch it up when he is using the bed.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:59 AM

What a good idea! Thanks!
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Those sound like pretty good ideas. The only problems is that they are kinda over my head, LOL. I'll have to share a picture tomorrow of the bed with one of the previous fitted sheets. It almost looks like I could make the sheet a little wider and longer and then just cut the corners according to the size of that particular corner. This is the site and instructions I used for the sheets: http://www.rootandblossom.com/2012/0...-tutorial.html
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 AM

If I make the cover this way, then how do I sew the sides to the top? I don't think I've ever sewn with curves before.