How many have a garden?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh yes, you know spring is close at hand when you get the seed catalogs. Every fall I say, this is it,no garden next year. Every spring, I plant another! This year will be no different! I can, I freeze, therefore I am!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM

We grow lots of veggies to eat, freeze, and can, but the hail has gotten us 4 years out of five--wishing for a greenhouse!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM

We have a perennial garden and also a veggie one...but, the veggie one is a battle between me and the bunnies...
This year I WILL win....
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM

I have a 70' x 70' vegetable garden. I am thinking about expanding it into the pasture by another 30'. Right now it is blanketed with straw. I inventoried my seeds two days ago and discovered that my seed stash is as bad (good?) as my fabric stash.

It is a challenge to grow warm weather veggies here due to long, cool springs. I start everthing in my greenhouse and transplant into the garden when the soil is warm. I had a good crop of cabbage last year and put up a lot of sauerkraut. I am planning to build a PVC tunnel greenhouse to be put up at the back of the garden. That is where all of warm weather veggies go.

Once the weather warms up, it means less time at the sewing machine and more time digging in the dirt.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 PM

I usually have a large garden, we have a 95x30 greenhouse-haven't got it running yet, need to get another layer of plastic on and end walls (weather pemitting) Hasn't stopped me from starting seedlings in the house. WE have them in our bedroom, our garage, our kitchen.....you get the picture, but have to have them ready for spring sales! Lots of perennials, veggies plants, bedding plants, bushes. Trying to get some quiling done before I am in the greenhouse and garden every day!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 PM

We own a business in the horticultural industry - we make machines that automatically sow seeds into trays. We attend a few trade shows a year. So yes, we garden :)

We get LOTS of free stuff from the trade shows and from our customers - who are greenhouses.

Seems ever few years husband and I are digging up another part of the yard to create yet another garden.

My favorites flowers are any that smell heavenly. Roses, Lillies, Hyacinthe, Lilac .... ahhh. My nose is usually yellow in the summer from sticking it into flowers to get a whiff.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM

season is short here but we do a huge garden.potatoes,onions,tomatoes,green peppers,green beans,garlic,corn,peas
Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

I can't grow flowers at all, but I love my veggie garden. Of course, we have to fight with all the deer to make sure we get our share but we do can & freeze what we do get. Nothing better than fresh picked veggies coming out of the freezer in January. :) Saves a ton of money at the grocery store too.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM

We have a large veg garden that the Grandkids help with. Tomatos, peppers, onion, cukes, squash, zuccini, corn, eggplant and beans. Then there are the flower beds. DH says i am obsessed with adding to them every year. Then there is my Rose garden that is my favorite. I can't wait to get outside and "play in the dirt". Spring can't come too soon for me!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM

I have 3 large raised beds for veggies and flowers everywhere else. I was tomatoe and okra queen of the subdivision last year...lol! Love digging in the dirt.