how much do you tip

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM

My daughter in law is hairdresser. At the shop she works in she is required to rent her space at the shop. Additionally she is required to use and pay the products that the shop sells and has to sell a quota of shop products each month, which she does not receive any money for doing. She has no control over pricing. Basically the shop owner has all the overhead costs paid for by the girls that work in the shop. Tips end up to be her primary income after all the expenses. I don't know if all shops work the same way but the last few she has worked at operate this way. She picks up products and does my hair when I'm in their city. I always pay her double because she gives me a discounted price (as if her labor is free). She does great work!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 AM

double, sorry
Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM

20%-
my daughter is a stylist too, and like Rose L.'s DIL tips are a main source of her income-
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
The guy who trims my hair - I don't tip him. But I do let him sleep with me....

now you all know it is my DH...
Good one, made me chuckle.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I do 20% for all tips
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM

My hair cuts cost $15.00 and I get one every eight weeks. My hair is very fine and thin so it only takes her a few minutes but I always give her $5.00. It's very hard work to stand like that all day and I know she could use it. There are stylist here that charge a lot more.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
I guess I must be cheap, because I don't leave a tip. I figure they are charging enough for the service that I shouldn't have to give more. Is this just me?
Depends on where you are and who the "they" are that are doing the charging? Does the person providing the service set the prices? Are they an owner or employee? If they are an employee, their tips are part of their income and their pay may be lower because of that. Waiters/waitresses work below minimum wage and depend on tips. But a tip is an acknowledgement of good service. It is not simple.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM

We are lucky down here in Australia.We very rarely tip.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Many years ago I worked in a restaurant in Idaho. I was told that when tax time came, if an audit was done, the IRS will look at my receipts (rang up with my waitress number on them) and consider I took in income equaling 20%. The tax would be taken accordingly. I found that to be so unfair because a lot of people did not tip 20%. The base wage was not good because the employer expects you will earn the rest through being good enough to get tips. That is unfair as well but that's the way its done. Unless a server is really bad I always tip at a minimum of 20% and often more. I have compassion for food servers since they are expected to make up their deficient income through tips, (unlike many other professions). If they want to do well they work their tails off hoping for the tips to make up their low wages. And like some on here, it is more important to be generous. I can truly say from experience it always comes back multiplied when you give generously without grumbling. It's a law God put into place. It works. As they say, what goes around comes around. That goes for good as well as bad.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TootieAnn
You don't mention how much you paid for the haircut. I usually tip 10-15% of the price of the haircut. If I can afford to, I tip 20%. I always think that the money I leave for a tip means far more to the recipient than it does to me and it makes me happy to be generous. I think Morna McEver Golletz mentioned this in her newsletter Professional Quilter a couple of months ago. I appreciated what she wrote and I agree with her. Of course, we all have to work within our own budgets. If you could only afford to leave $2 and the gentleman could afford to pay $5, well the Lord knows about that too. I think a generous heart is much more important than a fat wallet. I hope your day is filled with God's blessings!
I agree , I give 15% of the total, doesn't matter what she does. If I buy a product I don't tip on that. I have really bad hair and I'm thankful she can make it look so good.
I think a generous heart is much more important then a fat wallet. Well said.