I almost cried

Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 PM

I would love to be there when the grands open their presents but they have to be at the "other" grandparents's house Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I don't even get to see them on New Year's Day either .. OH well when they get old enough maybe they will want to come spend the Holidays with us. Maybe when they are 18
That is so cool, be sure to take lots of pictures. I would put them in a calendar for me to look at all year long, if I were in your shoes ! LOL
Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Your daughter is extremely thoughtful to do this. Be sure to let her know just how much this means to you, and maybe it will start a new family tradition of having granny overnight for Christmas. I would LOVE that myself.

Diane
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 PM

We are expected to be with our DD and her family on Christmas Eve and stay for a few days. Christmas morning is a given. We usually find a few things to add to everyone's stockings, and DD insists that DH and I have our stockings too. They add things to ours also.
This year I had special requests from DGD and DD for new stockings. Here are photos of what I made for them.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144984.jpe   attachment-144985.jpe   attachment-144986.jpe  
Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 PM

I know how you feel being there for christmas morning. I live alone but sleep over on christmas eve to be there in the morning to see the 3 little ones open their gifts. I do bring them christmas stocking fill with art and craft items. After they open their gifts, I go to work. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the children.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:36 PM

You really think your dd would feel you are stepping on her toes? For getting small items for stockings? I would think she would be delighted.

If all else fails, make the goodie bags as you mentioned. The kids will be delighted, that's for sure

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
You know, no one is going to fill a stocking for your daughter and her DH. They will be focused on the kids. Maybe you could play Santa for the grown-ups with a few little surprises in your daughter and her DH's stockings.

And have a wonderful time with your family!

I was thinking the same thing!! Maybe you could get your DD and her hubby something. I bet they would really be wow'd with that! :) That is awesome that you will get to be there with your grandkids on Christmas morning. That is such a special time. :)
Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Some of my saddest and weirdest Christmases were those when the kids were grown (especially the one when my son was in the Army overseas, and my daughter was on a mission trip). They were out of the home, not married and so there were no grandchildren yet.. Now both of my kids are living in the same town as we live, both are happily married, both have kids of their own, and I'm having more fun than I've ever had before with those precious grandbabies! Christmas with my own kids was great, but the grands are even more fun yet! I know you'll have a wonderful time.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

Thank God for families.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM

We did our Christmas yesterday as this allowed for all of my kids and grand kids to be here at the same time. It was wonderful having everyone here for the first time in quite a while as some of the grands live out of state. 3 kids with spouses, 5 grand kids and one great grand along with DSIL and DBIL. My table and heart were both very full.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
My kids are grown and gone, have their own homes. I'm just fine with it, that's the way things are supposed to be and I do love my own time and space.

My daughter texted me awhile ago and said Christmas Eve at her house, dinner at 4 or 5? I replied whatever was convenient for her though I would rather not drive in the dark (it's a narrow, winding levee road with ditches on both sides). She replied to come early and stay the night, drink some eggnog with her.

A few moments later it hit me that I would then be there on Christmas morning with the three grandkids. I got tears in my eyes quite suddenly.

I hadn't really thought about that. I didn't expect to see them then. I know that it's an honor and a privaledge to be asked to spend that time with her family. I was out shopping yesterday and passing all these little things that I would have got for my kids' stockings. I wanted to get some but I thought, that's not my job to do anymore and I don't want to step on her toes.
Because I was widowed at such an early age , we would open presents here and then pack up the remaining gifts an go to Grandmas/Grandpas house for a second event. My mother always had a second stocking for whichever grandchild/and adult kid that was there. The kids looked forward to it, more goodies.. You could still have the joy of buying stocking stuffers for all. My daughter is getting her goodies in an Hello Kitty box and my SIL's will be in a felt reindeer head box - both $1 at Target. Nothing expensive but simply sharing and celebrating Christ's birthday and family...
Merry Christmas to all on the best board, Cindy