Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting? >

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Good to know that it may be more the machine than me LOL. Sounds like I have a reason to buy another machine to add to the collection? :D Too bad my Featherweight has such a small arm area - it has the vertical bobbin.
Uh-oh - sounds like a vintage sewing machine collector in the making. You already know how lovely two of them are. ;)

Yes, if you're going to do FMQ, I think you should absolutely have a machine that's well-suited for it. (I am a practiced enabler! ;) )

The vertical end-loading bobbin will give you a beautiful stitch, even flying through loops and sudden turns. (It sounds like we could be up at altitude any second doesn't it? ;) )

Some front-loading vertical bobbins cause trouble, but my Lady Kenmore 89 has a front-loading bobbin and she is a great machine for FMQ. Same thing with my Kenmores from the 70's - an 1802 and an 1803.

The open area under the arm is much smaller than the Singer 15, though. I did a queen size quilt on the Lady Kenmore, but it was a real struggle at the beginning - the middle of the quilt. The 15 is way easier for that, although it's still a struggle.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgrammyt2
I wrote the word on paper,pinned it to the quilt and stitched away,turned out okay,but getting the little bits of paper out of the stitches was a little different :wink: :lol:
I haven't done a lot of free motion embroidery, but it really is fun, isn't it? :)

Next time, you could write on a piece of water-soluble stabilizer and sew over that. One wash and it's all gone.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Become friends with someone who likes the quilting and share..
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
I would be afraid of ruining the quilt.
Oh no - don't be afraid! We all mess up here and there, but there's not a whole lot you can do to ruin the quilt.

Not long ago, I quilted a great huge chunk of my daughter's king size quilt - the backing is black and I decided that I wanted the quilting to show, so I used white bobbin thread and black thread in the needle. I didn't realize that the bobbin tension was too tight and I ended up with a MESS. It took days with a seam ripper (and bifocals!) to get all that out of there. After it was washed the first time, you couldn't tell there had ever been a problem with it.

I've quilted over folds in the backing fabric and over little snippets of stuff that happened to be lying on my cutting table. I've used the wrong color of thread several times. I'm 100% terrible about backtracking - you can see double tracks on every darn quilt I make, no matter how hard I try to stitch over the first line of stitching.

But, I don't expect perfection any more - I try for it, but I learned to accept "good enough." My quilting isn't going to look like Irena Bluhms or Hari Walner's (unfortunately) but that's okay. It looks a lot better than it did a year ago or three years ago. I see every little jig and jag and goof, but I'm happy with the progress I've made.

Make some muslin sandwiches and get to playing - it's so much fun! And those practice sandwiches never have to go to waste, either - double them up and use them in potholders or hot pads. Cover them on both sides again and do some more practicing. When they're stiff as a board, use them inside tote bags or purses in place of timtex. :)
Old 01-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

So I saw some pictures of small quilts on this thread. What are you using them for??? Do many of you do these small projects?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
So I saw some pictures of small quilts on this thread. What are you using them for??? Do many of you do these small projects?
Baby Quilts, Lap Quilts, Doll Quilts, Book Markers, Table Toppers, Wall Hangings, etc.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Check out this site for fantastic video and written tutorials on FMQ: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/articles.htm (scroll down to middle of page).

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 PM

I too cannot FMQ. I have practiced until I gave up in disgust. I bought some stencils at Joanns and transfered the design onto the quilts and sewed them using a walking foot. They turned out wonderful. I am attaching a pic of my granddaughters quilt, look at the sashing, it has the stenciling, between the blocks is cross hatching, and on the black and white blocks there are half circles from corner to corner ( you can't see them) give this a try. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161126.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 PM
JT

Another idea is to trace a pattern on tissue paper, tape it on a block with painters tape and slowly stitch over the tissue paper. I have done this on some pillow shams and table toppers, not a whole quilt yet. It's a step towards quilting your own, then do some stitch in the ditch in the areas you don't use the tissue paper. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mariemy
I too cannot FMQ. I have practiced until I gave up in disgust. I bought some stencils at Joanns and transfered the design onto the quilts and sewed them using a walking foot. They turned out wonderful. I am attaching a pic of my granddaughters quilt, look at the sashing, it has the stenciling, between the blocks is cross hatching, and on the black and white blocks there are half circles from corner to corner ( you can't see them) give this a try. Good Luck
Wow! I never would have known that you did it that way. Something else for me to check out.

Everyone, please continue to share & teach - it is so very cool!!